Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

5 hours ago, heartofmercury said:

The weight loss feel so slow for me. However, when I step back and think about it, it's a lot faster than I could lose on my own. I'm post op day 15 and I've lost 12 pounds since surgery.

That's really solid and healthy 😊 Overall, how are you feeling? Stronger, better able to move around? I hoping to making noises while trying to sit, stand, or lay down 🤣

3 hours ago, SuziDavis said:

Day of surgery I was at 350, day I came home I was at 354 from swelling and Fluid. Today, 6 days out I am at 340.6.

I lost 22 the month before surgery

I was really focused on losing as much as I could prior as well. Maybe including our post-op updates, we can also list non- scale victories too 😊

Did anyone have a shockingly easy surgery? I feel like I’ve been lied to about what to expect.

I came through surgery like nothing had happened to me. No pain. No nausea. No “too many sit-ups” feeling. No problem drinking. No aversions.  I required no pain relief after. I got up and went to the bathroom and walked within 5 minutes of being wheeled into my room and then again every hour until I left. 

Of course I can tell my stomach is tiny when I’m drinking but the surgery was not what I was expecting.

On 08/23/2022 at 14:14, Emilyjaguar said:

I feel this too. Yesterday was one week post op for me. I am so sad and depressed about eating Tomato Soup for every meal except grits in the morning. I start pureed diet tomorrow and I am not looking forward to that. I mentally cannot eat baby food and honestly I cant eat Tomato Soup for another meal.

anyone have advice on that?

I may have missed an earlier post but is there a reason you have to have Tomato Soup for every meal? I have Swansons sipping Bone Broth in chicken flavor with a little salt since it’s so bland. It gives me a lot more Protein. Since you’re about to start the puréed stage, try the small tuna pouches (hickory flavor is the best!) put that in your food processor (I got a tiny 2 cup one at Target for about $20), add some Mayonnaise and some seasoning. Purée that stuff really well. It’s really good! I watched a lot of YouTube videos about the puréed stage by this lady (TimeToShrink) who is very creative with her food! Don’t be discouraged! You can do this! 😊💕💕

On 08/23/2022 at 20:57, Doodles603 said:

Did anyone have a shockingly easy surgery? I feel like I’ve been lied to about what to expect.

I came through surgery like nothing had happened to me. No pain. No nausea. No “too many sit-ups” feeling. No problem drinking. No aversions.  I required no pain relief after. I got up and went to the bathroom and walked within 5 minutes of being wheeled into my room and then again every hour until I left. 

Of course I can tell my stomach is tiny when I’m drinking but the surgery was not what I was expecting.

I did really well after my VSG except for some difficulty drinking Water. That hurt! But I didn’t have nausea or much pain either. I was up and walking the halls pretty quickly, too. I’m getting ready to have a revision to my sleeve (VSG to RNY due to hiatal hernia and GERD) and I hope this surgery goes as well as my last!
Sounds like you’re doing great! Be thankful and roll with it! 💕

26 minutes ago, Doodles603 said:

I came through surgery like nothing had happened to me. No pain. No nausea. No “too many sit-ups” feeling. No problem drinking. No aversions. I required no pain relief after. I got up and went to the bathroom and walked within 5 minutes of being wheeled into my room and then again every hour until I left.

Im

19 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

I may have missed an earlier post but is there a reason you have to have Tomato Soup for every meal? I have Swansons sipping Bone Broth in chicken flavor with a little salt since it’s so bland. It gives me a lot more Protein. Since you’re about to start the puréed stage, try the small tuna pouches (hickory flavor is the best!) put that in your food processor (I got a tiny 2 cup one at Target for about $20), add some Mayonnaise and some seasoning. Purée that stuff really well. It’s really good! I watched a lot of YouTube videos about the puréed stage by this lady (TimeToShrink) who is very creative with her food! Don’t be discouraged! You can do this! 😊💕💕

After my week before surgery only being able to eat broth has created an aversion to broth. Now its broth and Tomato Soup. Tonight for dinner I ate ate nothing and I am so hungry but anything on the list of foods makes me gag. Also, I for some reason dont eat tuna. Lol! I am picky unfortunately.

i will look that youtube up! Thank you!

2 hours ago, Doodles603 said:

I came through surgery like nothing had happened to me. No pain. No nausea. No “too many sit-ups” feeling. No problem drinking. No aversions. I required no pain relief after. I got up and went to the bathroom and walked within 5 minutes of being wheeled into my room and then again every hour until I left.

You're really lucky. I felt like **** right after surgery. I had a hard time breathing deeply enough, so I had to have oxygen. I felt nauseous, and threw up a few times. Also, I had the dry heaves, and got painful cramps every time I drank a little sip of Water.

So, that first day in hospital I kept thinking: What have I done to myself? But now I'm two weeks out and I feel fine. Almost no vomiting, no more cramps, and almost no pain. I stopped taking painkillers a couple of days after surgery, since I didn't need them.

I do feel nauseous often, which is a drag, and it's very hard for me to swallow my meds. And I'm very tired and get winded just from walking. Other than that, I feel like I've healed really well, all things considered.

Edited by Sunnyer

I’m 36 hours post op and still in the hospital (BP issues). My biggest discomfort in the last day has been has and bloating. I’ve been moving a lot today and getting some gas out, but it’s still awful.

How long did it take you all to feel comfortable?

Wow! You're one of the lucky ones!

I’m 36 hours post op and still in the hospital (BP issues). My biggest discomfort in the last day has been has and bloating. I’ve been moving a lot today and getting some gas out, but it’s still awful.

How long did it take you all to feel comfortable?
Gas pains were terrible for me during the first two days. I had to use a heating pad for random pains for the next week for what I assumed were leftover gas pockets. I had my favorite shows ready to distract me and take my mind off of the pain. sleeping was uncomfortable that first week. Day 6 or 7 it got much better for me. I'm post op 16 days now and there are still some things that suck: getting out of chairs, rolling over in my sleep, drinking too fast, and I get physically tired towards the end of the day.

Take it a day at a time. I hope you start feeling a lot better very soon!

Hi all! Everything went off without a hitch but this gas pain is a b#%^+. Last night I was going in circles around my bedroom trying to dislodge some. No nausea or vomiting. That whole tastebuds changing thing is really real! But I was still able to eat some of my greek yogurt. I can eat about 1oz before feeling full.

The last doctor I saw before I left told me not to worry as much about eating. And to focus on my liquids. I need to make those 64 oz daily, but she said to remember that my Protein Shake counts towards that. She said dehydration would land me back in the hospital faster than anything else.

If I can just get rid of this gas I would be doing fantastic.

13 hours ago, I Am Enough! said:

I was really focused on losing as much as I could prior as well. Maybe including our post-op updates, we can also list non- scale victories too 😊

Yes, Like not needing to hug a pillow to get out of bed this morning,,,lol

Finally feeling better now that I can have purées. Made a chicken salad that reminds me of a deviled egg consistency - that is yummy and Protein packed. I wasn’t sure I could do a puréed meat - but connecting it to the deviled egg filling helps.

3 oz chicken
2 hard boiled eggs (about 100 grams)
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon non fat Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon mustard

Whole container about 1 cup: 284 calories, 43 grams Protein, 2 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 11 grams fat

Used the mayo we had on hand - will probably exchange out for a lower fat one going forward, but it was a welcomed change from the liquid of the past 2 weeks.

Going to slowly introduce new purées over the next week so I don’t upset my stomach. I’m on the purée stage for two weeks before I go to soft foods.

Other than the ricotta bake… (hoping to make that sometime this weekend), anyone have any staples you have had good experience with or favorites to share?

On 08/24/2022 at 11:30, LookingForward22 said:

Finally feeling better now that I can have purées. Made a chicken salad that reminds me of a deviled egg consistency - that is yummy and Protein packed. I wasn’t sure I could do a puréed meat - but connecting it to the deviled egg filling helps.

3 oz chicken
2 hard boiled eggs (about 100 grams)
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon non fat Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon mustard

Whole container about 1 cup: 284 calories, 43 grams Protein, 2 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 11 grams fat

Used the mayo we had on hand - will probably exchange out for a lower fat one going forward, but it was a welcomed change from the liquid of the past 2 weeks.

Going to slowly introduce new purées over the next week so I don’t upset my stomach. I’m on the purée stage for two weeks before I go to soft foods.

Other than the ricotta bake… (hoping to make that sometime this weekend), anyone have any staples you have had good experience with or favorites to share?

Sounds good! The Protein count seems a little high though. It calculates to only 35g in my app. I just don’t want you being low on protein.

I am going to try this recipe next week though!!

On 08/23/2022 at 21:54, Sunnyer said:

You're really lucky. I felt like **** right after surgery. I had a hard time breathing deeply enough, so I had to have oxygen. I felt nauseous, and threw up a few times. Also, I had the dry heaves, and got painful cramps every time I drank a little sip of Water.

So, that first day in hospital I kept thinking: What have I done to myself? But now I'm two weeks out and I feel fine. Almost no vomiting, no more cramps, and almost no pain. I stopped taking painkillers a couple of days after surgery, since I didn't need them.

I do feel nauseous often, which is a drag, and it's very hard for me to swallow my meds. And I'm very tired and get winded just from walking. Other than that, I feel like I've healed really well, all things considered.

I’m sorry to hear that. Your recovery is what I was expecting for myself as well. I hope it improves quickly for you.