Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

On 08/18/2022 at 12:55, SuziDavis said:

Today has been so much better. I have never burped so much in my life.! Lol

Hoped they bring my liquids soon. I was cleared for them hours ago.

Glad you are feeling better. Tomorrow (and every day after) gets a little better and a little easier.

Today I went for a 15 min stroll around the neighborhood. Taking deep breaths still a little rough, but it’s manageable.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Hi. Congratulations on your surgery today. I'm excited for you. My surgery date is August 27th. I would love to hear about your 2 week pre op diet and how that went for you. I am just at 7 days in and I've only lost 5 pounds. I'm so discouraged

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

All plans are different. I had a nutritional supplement in the hospital, but mine allowed me to start them when I got home from the hospital - as long as I could tolerate them. Thankfully I had no problems.

Did your practice give you a meal plan or guide to follow?

My plan allowed Protein Drinks right after I came home from hospital. However, I find them really disgusting and have a hard time getting them down. I bought some unflavoured whey Protein Powder today, and hope that it will be a better choice for me. I plan on adding it to oatmeal, Soups and shakes, as I've not been anywhere near meeting my Protein goals.

On 08/18/2022 at 14:39, Sunnyer said:

My plan allowed Protein Drinks right after I came home from hospital. However, I find them really disgusting and have a hard time getting them down. I bought some unflavoured whey Protein Powder today, and hope that it will be a better choice for me. I plan on adding it to oatmeal, Soups and shakes, as I've not been anywhere near meeting my Protein goals.

I did and the unflavored Protein powder to my Tomato Soup and it wasn’t to bad. It did change the taste a little but not enough to make me not want to drink it.

I need my fairlife to be REALLY cold, then I’m ok with getting those down.

I haven’t really expanded much beyond Tomato soup… I figure if I stick with what I know I can tolerate I’ll be safe for the next 8 days. Next Wednesday I start with purées. I’m looking forward to refried Beans and hoping I can tolerate those ok for a couple of meals. If I do well with that I will expand little by little.

Share when you find combinations you do like, I might find something I haven’t thought to try!

1 hour ago, valeriejbrock9 said:

Hi. Congratulations on your surgery today. I'm excited for you. My surgery date is August 27th. I would love to hear about your 2 week pre op diet and how that went for you. I am just at 7 days in and I've only lost 5 pounds. I'm so discouraged

5lbs in 7 days is great! Keep in mind the pre-op diet is to help you shrink your liver not necessarily lose weight.

Edited by SHORTY_

Today I haven’t needed pain meds. Everything is going down well. Being home feels good.

Edited by SuziDavis
Wrong quoted person.

42 minutes ago, SuziDavis said:

Today I haven’t needed pain meds. Everything is going down well. Being home feels good.

That's great. I took pain meds for the first couple of days, and then I didn't need them anymore.

08/18/2022 07:39 PM, Emilyjaguar said:

I think what I am struggling with is wanting more. I know its me mentally thinking that. I eat my 2oz of Tomato Soup and I think about, can I get another 2 oz? Lol send prayers I can get over this hump.

Prayers coming. I’m sure in a few days it will be routine and second nature.

I’m worried because I can easily take in my Protein Shakes, soup/broth and Water without restriction. That doesn’t seem “normal”.

Im not hungry - I’m just trying to reach my Water, calorie and Protein goals for the day.

Hopefully when I start purées next week I will notice the restriction and I will stop stressing.

On 08/18/2022 at 19:39, Emilyjaguar said:

I think what I am struggling with is wanting more. I know its me mentally thinking that. I eat my 2oz of Tomato Soup and I think about, can I get another 2 oz? Lol send prayers I can get over this hump.

Sending prayers and lots of good vibes that you start feeling clarity from the head hunger!

On 08/18/2022 at 13:51, valeriejbrock9 said:

Before my VSG, I only lost 2 lbs during my 2 week pre-op diet! Talk about discouraging! They had me only eating/drinking Protein Shakes and greek yogurt. I never eat yogurt because it’s too high in calories and carbs. I think that is what kept me from losing any weight. However, my surgery went very well and I recovered quickly so there’s that… This time around (I’m getting ready for a revision from VSG to RNY) I’m drinking Protein shakes but not eating much greek yogurt. I’m sipping on chicken Bone Broth a lot instead. I started my pre-op diet 4 days ago and I’ve lost 3 lbs. so far. Hang in there! It’s all going to work out great! Just stick to your pre-op diet and everything will be fine. You’ll start dropping weight after your surgery. I lost almost 80 lbs in about 3 months after my VSG.

On 08/18/2022 at 13:51, valeriejbrock9 said:

Don’t be discouraged 5 pounds in 7 days is good progress. My liver was VERY enlarged prior to surgery and there was concern about possibly needing a biopsy to assess the progression of damage (which is what lead me to this surgery). When I got to the hospital I had a 7 pound loss (after an 8 day liquid diet) and thought for sure what I had done wasn’t enough. After surgery I asked my Dr how my liver looked and if they needed to do a biopsy? She told me my liver looked fantastic and I must have really stuck to my diet. No need for a biopsy and she just encouraged me to have the same dedication to the post op diet and I did the pre op and she would expect me to do well.

Everyone looses and heals at their own rate. Keep up the good work!

On 8/18/2022 at 11:11 AM, Emilyjaguar said:

How soon after surgery did yall start Protein Drinks again?

I haven't had surgery yet but my post-op diet reads no Protein drinks until the 8th day.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, LookingForward22 said:

Glad you are feeling better. Tomorrow (and every day after) gets a little better and a little easier.

Today I went for a 15 min stroll around the neighborhood. Taking deep breaths still a little rough, but it’s manageable.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

So, I guess it's normal to find it hard to breathe deeply, and get a little winded while walking? I kind of feel like I felt right after getting covid, and I'm not even up to 15 minutes walking yet. I walk to work which is like five minutes, and in the mornings it's kind of hard for me. Never was before.

On the plus side, I lost another kilo (a little more than two pounds), so I guess I'm not stalled. And today I went to buy a new jacket for fall, and asked to try on size 46, but I ended up buying size 44 (same as UK size 16 or US size 12). I haven't fit into size 44 for years, so that was nice.

Edited by Sunnyer

On 08/19/2022 at 15:36, Sunnyer said:

So, I guess it's normal to find it hard to breathe deeply, and get a little winded while walking? I kind of feel like I felt right after getting covid, and I'm not even up to 15 minutes walking yet. I walk to work which is like five minutes, and in the mornings it's kind of hard for me. Never was before.

On the plus side, I lost another kilo (a little more than two pounds), so I guess I'm not stalled. And today I went to buy a new jacket for fall, and asked to try on size 46, but I ended up buying size 44 (same as UK size 16 or US size 12). I haven't fit into size 44 for years, so that was nice.

Congrats on the NSV!!! I’m looking forward to watching those sizes drop!!

I’m not sure if it’s normal or not (the winded part) but those deep breaths are still pinching a little (I’m assuming muscle spasms and tightness). I’m still using my spirometer they sent home and trying to take long slow deep breaths throughout the day to keep my lungs strong. My guess is as the muscles and Internal healing take place those deep breaths will get easier.