Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

Finally home and got that Tomato Soup I was craving since last week. It is fantastic!

It’s odd because I’m not hungry, but I’m not noticing any restriction either?

I’m still on full liquids… so does that make a difference?

For those of that have had the sleeve, what does restriction feel like? I understand it is different for everyone.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not hungry either after the surgery. Starting off I could only take two small sips before I felt a tightness in my chest. Now I can take three large sips. If I overdo it I feel like I need to stand up to help the liquid go down and I get a pain in my left top shoulder. Then I just feel uncomfortable for about 20 minutes. I realize it's different for everyone.

28 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

I was doing pretty good at pacing myself… but that darn Tomato Soup was so good and went down effortlessly. The only thing I’m feeling right now is the need to adjust my Abdominal binder —- every time I sit it scrunches up and hurts like a bugger. It stays I place nicely for laying down, it just does not like sitting.

Why do you have an abdominal binder? I've never heard of it.

I made mushroom Soup from scratch today and it was sooooo delicious. I was a bit tired of Tomato Soup, so it was a nice change. But I'm also worried about how much I can eat. I'm on liquid diet but allowed to have Soups if they have no chunks. I put a little soup in my bowl, maybe 4-5 spoonfuls which I ate slowly, and I finished it but didn't feel full or anything. But I wasn't sure if I could have more, so I stopped.

Is anyone else worried that they will be a failure and not lose a lot of weight, or lose and then regain? I've lost almost 4 kilos after the surgery and 3 kilos before. In all almost 7 kilos or fifteen pounds. The thing is, I've been the same weight for three days now and this is pretty much exactly the weight I've been able to get down to on my own in recent years, before I start gaining again.

What if my body is able to hold on to the weight, in spite of the fact that I only eat a couple of hundred calories per day? Is that physically possible?

On 08/17/2022 at 14:53, heartofmercury said:

I'm not hungry either after the surgery. Starting off I could only take two small sips before I felt a tightness in my chest. Now I can take three large sips. If I overdo it I feel like I need to stand up to help the liquid go down and I get a pain in my left top shoulder. Then I just feel uncomfortable for about 20 minutes. I realize it's different for everyone.

That’s what I was expecting to feel, but instead I just keep drinking and nothing feels any different than before.

I’m going to try not to stress about it. Hopefully as things heal and settle down I can get a better idea of what the restrictions are and how to work with them.

I’m grateful I don’t feel hungry and that I seem to be getting fluids in ok. I just worry I’m doing something wrong that will hurt me in the long run.

2 minutes ago, Sunnyer said:

Why do you have an Abdominal binder? I've never heard of it.

I made mushroom Soup from scratch today and it was sooooo delicious. I was a bit tired of Tomato Soup, so it was a nice change. But I'm also worried about how much I can eat. I'm on liquid diet but allowed to have Soups if they have no chunks. I put a little Soup in my bowl, maybe 4-5 spoonfuls which I ate slowly, and I finished it but didn't feel full or anything. But I wasn't sure if I could have more, so I stopped.

Is anyone else worried that they will be a failure and not lose a lot of weight, or lose and then regain? I've lost almost 4 kilos after the surgery and 3 kilos before. In all almost 7 kilos or fifteen pounds. The thing is, I've been the same weight for three days now and this is pretty much exactly the weight I've been able to get down to on my own in recent years, before I start gaining again.

What if my body is able to hold on to the weight, in spite of the fact that I only eat a couple of hundred calories per day? Is that physically possible?

You are absolutely not alone in that possible failure feeling. I've been feeling it hard this past week. I finally decided to take a break from my scale. I've been looking for nonscale victories instead. I tried on a shirt that was way too tight 6 months ago, also thinking to myself I should probably return it and never did. I saw it in my closet the other day and tried it on. I was almost in tears at how good it looked and so proud of how far I'd come.

The lbs aren't going to melt off in a day, with that being said I actually am starting to feel a lot of pressure from my family that knows I had surgery. I feel like their expectations now that I had the surgery are as if I just had Lipo. It kinda stresses me out that the scale isn't moving like id like it to and I feel like I have all eyes on me waiting for me to fail.

4 minutes ago, Emilyjaguar said:

Did yall eat Tomato Soup when you got home from the hospital on the phase 2 diet? Im scared

Yes, I started with Tomato Soup and then I had mushroom Soup today. They gave me recipes for several different Soups, including broccoli, sweet potato, Tomato etc., that I could make in the second week.

What are you scared of?

4 minutes ago, Emilyjaguar said:

Did yall eat Tomato Soup when you got home from the hospital on the phase 2 diet? Im scared

It’s just as well I dislike Tomato Soup because my doctor disallows tomatoes for at least 6 months due to high acidity (citrus also). I just got some puréed butternut squash Soup and miso-ginger broth from Trader Joe’s today.

1 minute ago, suzecate said:

It’s just as well I dislike Tomato Soup because my doctor disallows tomatoes for at least 6 months due to high acidity (citrus also). I just got some puréed butternut squash Soup and miso-ginger broth from Trader Joe’s today.

It's so weird how different doctors have different guidelines. My clinic actually gave me a set of recipes, including Tomato Soup. But I've seen this Tomato Soup thing in some online guidelines from clinics overseas.

I'm not sure if I tolerate any of the added liquids well. I feel better than last week, but I have loose and watery stools. I don't think it's dumping syndrome, because I have no gas pain, sweat or nausea, so I guess it's normal?

On 08/17/2022 at 15:25, Sunnyer said:

Why do you have an Abdominal binder? I've never heard of it.

I made mushroom Soup from scratch today and it was sooooo delicious. I was a bit tired of Tomato Soup, so it was a nice change. But I'm also worried about how much I can eat. I'm on liquid diet but allowed to have Soups if they have no chunks. I put a little Soup in my bowl, maybe 4-5 spoonfuls which I ate slowly, and I finished it but didn't feel full or anything. But I wasn't sure if I could have more, so I stopped.

The binder helps hold the abdomen tight which helps with pain. I took it off for the first time since surgery when I got into my own bed. It was very bunched up from sitting in the car and at the table and uncomfortable. But when I’m getting up and moving around it helps keep my skin from pulling.

Mushroom Soups sounds yummy! And to answer your question - yes I’m worried to that I won’t loose weight and I’ll mess this up.

How far out from surgery, are you possibly in a stall?

On 08/17/2022 at 16:10, Emilyjaguar said:

My had it listed as ok or I wouldn’t have - that and low fat cream Soups … but I stuck with the Tomato. That was the only real difference from the pre-op diet for me.

I stay on liquids for a week, then transition to purées.

15 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

The binder helps hold the abdomen tight which helps with pain. I took it off for the first time since surgery when I got into my own bed. It was very bunched up from sitting in the car and at the table and uncomfortable. But when I’m getting up and moving around it helps keep my skin from pulling.

Mushroom Soups sounds yummy! And to answer your question - yes I’m worried to that I won’t loose weight and I’ll mess this up.

How far out from surgery, are you possibly in a stall?

I only had the surgery a week and one day ago, so I think that's too soon for a stall?

12 minutes ago, Sunnyer said:

I only had the surgery a week and one day ago, so I think that's too soon for a stall?

That's exactly when I stalled out for a week. I had lost about 10 pre-op & 9 post op so I was trying not to kick myself too hard. it's been almost a week since I hopped back on the scale. It's currently shark week for me so I was waiting till it ended to hop on again since I tend to be heavier. My doctor told me not to watch the scale too hard in the first month anyways.

My doc doesn't allow Tomato soup either! I thought maybe I was the only one.

So today I had my 5 days post op app and I loss 21 pounds, was a about to break into tears at the surgeon office. I got another appointment for Monday, they will get me to the puree/soft food stage....Can wait for some eggs and cottage cheese.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app