Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

Surgery was yesterday: still on Clear Liquids (can have full liquids when I get home if tolerated. I can’t wait for Tomato soup! Lol. So far I am tolerating and keeping everything down. No nausea today … moving around well.

The binder they gave me was a wonderful help.

I’m still sore where the took my stomach out and in the center near my sternum - but that’s where all the work was done (hernia repair also).

Meds are making me a little groggy but not horrible.

I’d say I’m dealing more with discomfort than pain (though some movements are painful), but even the worst is bearable and manageable).

No problems with drinking. I seem to be able to do the warm and cold liquids with no issue.

Hope everyone is doing well!

On 08/17/2022 at 10:17, LookingForward22 said:

Surgery was yesterday: still on Clear Liquids (can have full liquids when I get home if tolerated. I can’t wait for Tomato soup! Lol. So far I am tolerating and keeping everything down. No nausea today … moving around well.

The binder they gave me was a wonderful help.

I’m still sore where the took my stomach out and in the center near my sternum - but that’s where all the work was done (hernia repair also).

Meds are making me a little groggy but not horrible.

I’d say I’m dealing more with discomfort than pain (though some movements are painful), but even the worst is bearable and manageable).

No problems with drinking. I seem to be able to do the warm and cold liquids with no issue.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Congratulations! 🍾🎊🎈 hope you continue to heal quickly!

Hello everyone,

Brit here who went to Turkey for the sleeve, had it done on the 12th August, and here's a little about how it went...

Surgery went well, apparently, so that's nice. Woke up in intense pain, I'm guessing from the gas, but I was shocked at just how much that actually hurt. It probably didn't help that I'd never had surgery before.

After 2 days in hospital, I was discharged to a hotel but found myself totally unable to sleep - I just had this wave of anxiety and regret, despite the fact I was excited for the future. It's odd, and it lasted a full 72 hours before I broke yesterday and went to my doctor and they put me on zopiclone. Holy hell that stuff knocks you out!

Flew back on the Monday, and yesterday went to my doctor, who checked on me and my vitals and it seemed ok. That was until about 2pm, where I broke into the most incredible hot sweat, agonising pain to the point that 999 was called. Cut a very long story short, bloody gas again! The pain (I was on dihydrocodeine at the time too) was massive, and because of the sweats they were worried about a leak. It wasn't, and today is loads better.

Anyway, that's where I'm at, I'd love to meet up with any east midland Brits going through this, would be awesome

On 08/17/2022 at 10:54, Former heavyweight said:

Hello everyone,

Brit here who went to Turkey for the sleeve, had it done on the 12th August, and here's a little about how it went...

Surgery went well, apparently, so that's nice. Woke up in intense pain, I'm guessing from the gas, but I was shocked at just how much that actually hurt. It probably didn't help that I'd never had surgery before.

After 2 days in hospital, I was discharged to a hotel but found myself totally unable to sleep - I just had this wave of anxiety and regret, despite the fact I was excited for the future. It's odd, and it lasted a full 72 hours before I broke yesterday and went to my doctor and they put me on zopiclone. Holy hell that stuff knocks you out!

Flew back on the Monday, and yesterday went to my doctor, who checked on me and my vitals and it seemed ok. That was until about 2pm, where I broke into the most incredible hot sweat, agonising pain to the point that 999 was called. Cut a very long story short, bloody gas again! The pain (I was on dihydrocodeine at the time too) was massive, and because of the sweats they were worried about a leak. It wasn't, and today is loads better.

Anyway, that's where I'm at, I'd love to meet up with any east midland Brits going through this, would be awesome

Congratulations 🎊🍾🎈 so glad you’re feeling better. Hope your recovery continues well without any crazy pain! And that you find a buddy!

2 hours ago, Connie88 said:

Well today is my day!!! Super nervous and hip I have a smooth recovery.

D1DE7B44-5ED7-492C-A5AF-9C1E6954FF59.jpeg

You've got this! See ya on the other side 😊 Let us know how you're feeling 😊

On 7/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, karakent said:

Are you talking about Dogmom68?

Woo hoo! August 18th! I'm so excited! I think there are 3 of us for this date 🥰

On 08/17/2022 at 09:58, Connie88 said:

Well today is my day!!! Super nervous and hip I have a smooth recovery.

D1DE7B44-5ED7-492C-A5AF-9C1E6954FF59.jpeg

Congratulations! Hope everything goes well!!

Good luck!!!!!

15 hours ago, RaisnHL said:

I’m so thankful to know that I’m not the only one! 😘

Today was much better, and I've been getting better every day. The nausea is mostly gone, and heartburn is minimal. I tried lactose free yoghurt yesterday, but while it was really good and I loved it (just a couple of teaspoons), it did not agree with me, so today I'm back to Tomato Soup and thin oatmeal.

You will get better every day, maybe with.a few setbacks, but at least for me the recovery has been way better than I expected. Today was my third day at work and I felt okay most of the time. So hopefully you too can look forward to feeling a little (or a lot) better every day.

Finally home and got that Tomato Soup I was craving since last week. It is fantastic!

It’s odd because I’m not hungry, but I’m not noticing any restriction either?

I’m still on full liquids… so does that make a difference?

For those of that have had the sleeve, what does restriction feel like? I understand it is different for everyone.

Thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

Finally home and got that Tomato Soup I was craving since last week. It is fantastic!

It’s odd because I’m not hungry, but I’m not noticing any restriction either?

I’m still on full liquids… so does that make a difference?

For those of that have had the sleeve, what does restriction feel like? I understand it is different for everyone.

Thanks for your help.

It took me about a week for me to notice the restriction. Honestly, I had felt the same, almost to the point of thinking did they really take out 80% of my stomach?

By the end of the 2nd week, I started to notice more of the full feelings, and my body started to reject things that days prior I was having no issues getting down. I notice the fullness in my lower chest. A pressure but not the feeling of being overly full. Pace yourself with bites. I noticed I was taking my bites too quick at first and not allowing my body time to really figure out if I was done or not. Almost gave myself about a full min or two before I took another.

Which honestly was hard because well for 32 years I've been eating the same way I always had so trying to completely change the way I eat has been a small struggle.

35 minutes ago, SHORTY_ said:

It took me about a week for me to notice the restriction. Honestly, I had felt the same, almost to the point of thinking did they really take out 80% of my stomach?

By the end of the 2nd week, I started to notice more of the full feelings, and my body started to reject things that days prior I was having no issues getting down. I notice the fullness in my lower chest. A pressure but not the feeling of being overly full. Pace yourself with bites. I noticed I was taking my bites too quick at first and not allowing my body time to really figure out if I was done or not. Almost gave myself about a full min or two before I took another.

Which honestly was hard because well for 32 years I've been eating the same way I always had so trying to completely change the way I eat has been a small struggle.

This ^^^^

I too took a little bit of time to notice that "full feeling". That lower chest tightness I feel, is that your body is telling you that you're likely close to being full and to not go crazy with anymore intake of food. Learning to slow down and pace myself has been and continues to be the most difficult thing with eating.

On 08/17/2022 at 14:07, SHORTY_ said:

Thank you. I was wondering the same thing (did they really take part of my stomach out?)

I’m still drinking everything - but I can drink Soup, broth, Water, juice, Protein Drinks - all without any issue. Which is great, I suppose, no reason I can’t get my Fluid intake in.

I was expecting an ounce or two and I’d feel like I couldn’t take another sip. It scared me a little that I could drink so much without an issue. I need to be better at monitoring or I’ll take in too much.

I’m hoping I’ll notice a difference when I move on to puréed foods next week. I’m excited for the refried Beans with cheese and the Protein pudding. Lol

On 08/17/2022 at 14:44, Muffinman1119 said:

This ^^^^

I too took a little bit of time to notice that "full feeling". That lower chest tightness I feel, is that your body is telling you that you're likely close to being full and to not go crazy with anymore intake of food. Learning to slow down and pace myself has been and continues to be the most difficult thing with eating.

I was doing pretty good at pacing myself… but that darn Tomato Soup was so good and went down effortlessly. The only thing I’m feeling right now is the need to adjust my abdominal binder —- every time I sit it scrunches up and hurts like a bugger. It stays I place nicely for laying down, it just does not like sitting.

Just now, LookingForward22 said:

I was doing pretty good at pacing myself… but that darn Tomato Soup was so good and went down effortlessly. The only thing I’m feeling right now is the need to adjust my Abdominal binder —- every time I sit it scrunches up and hurts like a bugger. It stays I place nicely for laying down, it just does not like sitting.

Yeah, it's difficult to recognize that though something may have went down really easy, that we should still take our time and eat slower. I think many struggle with that because of our "on-the-go" attitude as a society. We don't enjoy our food anymore, we devour it. In regard to the binder, I haven't worn mine since probably day 6 or 7 post-op. However, when I did wear it, it did start to get uncomfortable as I lost weight.