Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

On 08/08/2022 at 13:01, Michelle1.0 said:

Soo I am on the phone with insurance now. Trying to understand why? This same thing happened to me and my surgeon will not do the sleeve with out repairing the hernia. Today was my surgery day 8-08 :(

I’m so sorry you got postponed, too! My surgery was supposed to be on 8/8. Talk to your surgery scheduler at your surgeon’s office. They have a lot of experience dealing with denials and approvals with insurance companies. I used to be a surgery scheduler for the doctor I worked for for many years. Sometimes it’s just a records issue (they need) or another test needed to document the medical necessity. My sleeve was initially denied until my sleep study records were sent. (I had horrible sleep apnea.) Now I’m having to jump through the hoops to get my hiatal hernia repair approved and my gastric bypass conversion. I’m not too concerned at this point; just annoyed with having my surgery day postponed. I had an EGD on 7/19 and I’m scheduled for an Upper GI/ barium swallow on 8/15. I’m hoping this test will help get the approval.

On 08/09/2022 at 00:29, toodabarnhi said:

I just had gastric bypass. In hospital now. Anyone having abdominal muscle spasms or something? Its midnight and no one knows what I’m talking about in the hospital.

Hi!! Congratulations on your surgery! I understand what you’re saying! I had esophageal spasms after surgery and they hurt like the dickens!! I thought it was my heart! Fortunately, it wasn’t but it still didn’t make the spasms any less difficult to deal with. They eventually subsided after a little while.

1 minute ago, Dogmom68 said:

Hi!! Congratulations on your surgery! I understand what you’re saying! I had esophageal spasms after surgery and they hurt like the dickens!! I thought it was my heart! Fortunately, it wasn’t but it still didn’t make the spasms any less difficult to deal with. They eventually subsided after a little while.

Ahhh this gives me hope. I've been having this issue this week. It wakes me out of my sleep its so painful. Its only lasts seconds but sucks none the less.

27 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

After my VSG, I had to do Clear Liquids for about a week or so and then two weeks of regular liquids until my follow up with my doctor. After that appointment they released me to move on to very soft, puréed foods. I found the puréed stage difficult because I wasn’t sure what to make! I watched lots of YouTube videos about making foods in different stages. And trying to get a lot of Protein was very difficult (still is for me!)

Have you tried adding Protein Powder to your pureed foods? Like if you make a potato Soup and puree it, you can add a scoop of unflavored Protein powder to get that nutrition in. Or adding the Liquid Protein to your Water or smoothies?

18 hours ago, I Am Enough! said:

How are things going for you now? Are you feeling any better? I have been traveling for several days and not able to see the posts. I hope you are doing okay! I had my 2 week pre-op appt and on Clear Liquids now - I'm ready to get this done. I sure hope you're feeling better!!

I am doing good! My Water intake is at 60+ oz. I'm working on getting my Protein and Vitamins in. I've been dealing with esophagus issues that can be so painful it feels like what I imagine a small heart attack feeling like. Each day I seem to get them less and less.

On 08/09/2022 at 14:05, SHORTY_ said:

Ahhh this gives me hope. I've been having this issue this week. It wakes me out of my sleep its so painful. Its only lasts seconds but sucks none the less.

It really does hurt!!! I’m so sorry you’re dealing with it along with trying to recover from your surgery. The spasms will eventually calm down. Hang in there, my dear!! It gets better, I promise!💕

On 08/09/2022 at 14:10, I Am Enough! said:

Have you tried adding Protein Powder to your pureed foods? Like if you make a potato Soup and puree it, you can add a scoop of unflavored Protein powder to get that nutrition in. Or adding the Liquid Protein to your Water or smoothies?

Maybe you could recommend a different unflavored Protein powder other than GENEPRO. I can’t tolerate it at all! Where can I get the liquid protein??

1 minute ago, SHORTY_ said:

I am doing good! My Water intake is at 60+ oz. I'm working on getting my Protein and Vitamins in. I've been dealing with esophagus issues that can be so painful it feels like what I imagine a small heart attack feeling like. Each day I seem to get them less and less.

In my pre-op appt, they spoke about adding the hernia repair if I needed it while doing the procedure. Because it is so small they aren't sure yet. It's hard enough healing without that extra pain waking you up all the time! Hope it goes away soon! 😎

Just now, Dogmom68 said:

Maybe you could recommend a different unflavored Protein Powder other than GENEPRO. I can’t tolerate it at all! Where can I get the Liquid Protein? ?

These are theprotein ones I use:

1) AGN Roots Grass-fed whey from Amazon - you can heat it in Soups, or blend into smoothies, too and it does not have any flavor https://www.amazon.com/AGN-Roots-Grass-Whey-Protein/dp/B07X9V8718

2) Pre-protein liquid Protein - You have to make sure that it has the L-Tryptophan ingredient in it to be a complete protein. Bariatric pal sells it here on their website and it is available on Amazon. I have been running into out of stocks lately because it works so well. I dissolve it into my Water and it actually tastes good instead of that funky protein flavor. I also dissolve it into my Jello. https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Protein-Predigested-Hospitals-Nutritional-Grape-Flavor/dp/B09JBDGKBW/ref=sr_1_5 They also have cherry and peach flavors. I like them all. Since there are out of stocks on a few items, I have just recently ordered ProSource Neutral Flavor to mix into my jellos and waters.

I sure hope that helps! I am still in pre-op Clear Liquids, but I can easily average over a 100 grams of protein a day with the help of the liquids and unflavored versions.

On 08/09/2022 at 14:22, I Am Enough! said:

These are theprotein ones I use:

1) AGN Roots Grass-fed whey from Amazon - you can heat it in Soups, or blend into smoothies, too and it does not have any flavor https://www.amazon.com/AGN-Roots-Grass-Whey-Protein/dp/B07X9V8718

2) Pre-protein Liquid Protein - You have to make sure that it has the L-Tryptophan ingredient in it to be a complete Protein. Bariatric pal sells it here on their website and it is available on Amazon. I have been running into out of stocks lately because it works so well. I dissolve it into my Water and it actually tastes good instead of that funky Protein flavor. I also dissolve it into my Jello. https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Protein-Predigested-Hospitals-Nutritional-Grape-Flavor/dp/B09JBDGKBW/ref=sr_1_5 They also have cherry and peach flavors. I like them all. Since there are out of stocks on a few items, I have just recently ordered ProSource Neutral Flavor to mix into my jellos and waters.

I sure hope that helps! I am still in pre-op Clear Liquids, but I can easily average over a 100 grams of protein a day with the help of the liquids and unflavored versions.

Thank you sooo much for sharing this! I have struggled for so long trying to hit my protein goals without incorporating too many calories. Hopefully this will be a game-changer for me!😁💕

14 hours ago, toodabarnhi said:

I just had gastric bypass. In hospital now. Anyone having abdominal muscle spasms or something? Its midnight and no one knows what I’m talking about in the hospital.

I had that a bit of that after my VSG and they gave me a muscle relaxant that dissolved on my tongue, and when I chewed on gas chews, it helped a lot too. I learned from it when I got my revision last year. I chewed on Mylanta mini pills, fruit flavored, as soon as I got home.

1 hour ago, Dogmom68 said:

Maybe you could recommend a different unflavored Protein Powder other than GENEPRO. I can’t tolerate it at all! Where can I get the Liquid Protein? ?

Try Iso-Pure Flavorless Protein. It's been ok for me.

3 hours ago, chanellb92 said:

Hello I have mine scheduled Aug 22 and am on my 2nd day of liquid diet and it's killing me lol. Hope everyone's surgery goes well

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using BariatricPal mobile app

Im on day 2 of my liquid diet and i am SICK. Diarrhea and now chicken broth sounds so nasty like I will throw up if I eat it. Not sure I will make it through this.