Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

Hello, I’m scheduled for an ESG With plication on Aug 9 and I’m looking forward to it but also very nervous. So I feel the same @Connie88. The liquid diet portion weighs heavily on my mind. I’m a big coffee drinker so not drinking coffee for awhile is going to be a huge adjustment.

I just met with the surgeon yesterday and I'm now scheduled for August 24! I had some of the same feelings last night

On 7/26/2022 at 2:47 PM, jenuinelygenuinely said:

My fiance said he will do the pre-op diet with me but how strict my diet is I don't think he will be able to survive especially because he works in the hot sun!

This is totally understandable. I couldn't do this diet if I had to do physical work. I'm struggling to do basic domestic stuff. I'm on day three and they say it gets easier from here. I sure hope so!

I wanted to update everyone on my mock trial of the liquid pre-op diet. I had been doing full liquids for a couple of weeks and eating solids on the weekends. I discovered a couple of things.
1) Adding Protein to everything you put in your mouth helps with hunger. Water, Soups, shakes, smoothies, etc.
2) After not eating solids and then eating solids, I would feel uncomfortable in my stomach, especially if I ate a large portion. I do believe the tummy shrinks a bit.
3) Once I started the clear-fluids-only diet, more weight started coming off faster. I started the clear-only yesterday, and last night was the very first time I was hungry before bed. I actually had to get up at 10 pm to drink another Protein Shake because I could not get to sleep.< br> 4) Liquid Protein is my friend [emoji4]
Overall I'm so very glad I did this mock trial because I tried a bunch of different recipes and combinations of things and learned what I liked and what I didn't. Taking the time to do this has calmed my mind so I don't have to worry about going into these next few weeks before surgery.
I'm down 10 pounds already in July, and I hit my goal weight I wanted prior to surgery. Now I actually have more time to get lower. So now, I'm going to set it for 10 more pounds before surgery since I'm going into the clear-liquids-only stage.
Wow! Way to go! I saw some of the things you bought and it inspired me to buy them also....like the cheddar broccoli Soup and liquid protein. I've been trying to do liquids until dinner to prepare for my full liquid diet.

On 07/27/2022 at 09:51, I Am Enough! said:

I wanted to update everyone on my mock trial of the liquid pre-op diet. I had been doing full liquids for a couple of weeks and eating solids on the weekends. I discovered a couple of things.

1) Adding Protein to everything you put in your mouth helps with hunger. Water, Soups, shakes, smoothies, etc.

2) After not eating solids and then eating solids, I would feel uncomfortable in my stomach, especially if I ate a large portion. I do believe the tummy shrinks a bit.

3) Once I started the clear-fluids-only diet, more weight started coming off faster. I started the clear-only yesterday, and last night was the very first time I was hungry before bed. I actually had to get up at 10 pm to drink another Protein Shake because I could not get to sleep.

4) Liquid Protein is my friend :)

Overall I'm so very glad I did this mock trial because I tried a bunch of different recipes and combinations of things and learned what I liked and what I didn't. Taking the time to do this has calmed my mind so I don't have to worry about going into these next few weeks before surgery.

I'm down 10 pounds already in July, and I hit my goal weight I wanted prior to surgery. Now I actually have more time to get lower. So now, I'm going to set it for 10 more pounds before surgery since I'm going into the clear-liquids-only stage.

I’ve been on my liquid diet for the past four days and I am sooo hungry! I’m limited to Protein Shakes and high Protein yogurts. I’m so sick of them already! Also, I found out yesterday that my surgery authorization didn’t go through so I’m supposed to find out today if my surgeon will do the hiatal hernia repair; that way I can self pay for the bypass part of the surgery. My surgery scheduler quoted me $2600 for the bypass portion and that’s very doable for me! Now I just have to wait and see if my doctor will go ahead with the hernia repair! 🙏🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

47 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

I’ve been on my liquid diet for the past four days and I am sooo hungry! I’m limited to Protein Shakes and high Protein yogurts. I’m so sick of them already! Also, I found out yesterday that my surgery authorization didn’t go through so I’m supposed to find out today if my surgeon will do the hiatal hernia repair; that way I can self pay for the bypass part of the surgery. My surgery scheduler quoted me $2600 for the bypass portion and that’s very doable for me! Now I just have to wait and see if my doctor will go ahead with the hernia repair! 🙏🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Now that I am into my Clear Liquids, I'm definitely a lot hungrier. I woke up in the middle of the night with my stomach rumbling and I never do that. I was able to fortify the organic chicken broth with some of that Better than Bouillion stock and it made it taste a lot better. I'm not a big fan of SF Jello, but it has become my friend. Adding enough Protein to the date seems to help satiate for a bit. The clear-liquid time is definitely more challenging. Hang in there - you've got this!!

11 hours ago, heartofmercury said:

Wow! Way to go! I saw some of the things you bought and it inspired me to buy them also....like the cheddar broccoli Soup and Liquid Protein. I've been trying to do liquids until dinner to prepare for my full liquid diet.

That's awesome! I hope you find the liquid Protein a life saver! I much prefer it in the SF Jello. I have lemon electrolytes that I put in my Water, so mixing the cherry flavor with the lemon makes for a tasty water to drink :)

53 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

I hope everything works out for you on both of your procedures! Have you considered turning your Protein yogurt into a smoothie? Perhaps adding some Water and add Protein Powder would help satiate your hunger for a bit. Would they allow you to have Liquid Protein that you can put in your water? Talk to your nutritionist and see if they have ideas or recipes you can create.

On 07/28/2022 at 09:37, I Am Enough! said:

I hope everything works out for you on both of your procedures! Have you considered turning your Protein yogurt into a smoothie? Perhaps adding some Water and add Protein Powder would help satiate your hunger for a bit. Would they allow you to have Liquid Protein that you can put in your Water? Talk to your nutritionist and see if they have ideas or recipes you can create.

Thanks! I should be able to try making a smoothie from the yogurt. Good idea!
I’m still waiting to hear from my surgery scheduler about the hernia repair, etc.. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will all work out!🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

One week until go-time. Having my gastric sleeve surgery on 8/4. One week into my pre-op diet. Hasn’t been as rough as I thought it would be. More mental hunger than physical hunger(thankfully the Protein Shakes are doing a decent job of keeping my hunger at bay). Energy levels are certainly not where they usually are. But it’s all for a good cause.

I appreciate hearing everyone’s stories of how they are navigating this adventure we are all on. It’s reassuring to hear that the struggle is real, and not just in my head, and that a lot of people are finding success on the “other side”. Good luck to one and all!

I just had my surgery on 7/25, currently 3 days out. I’m reading comments about the 2 week diet and it really wasn’t bad. I used to drink way too much Diet Coke everyday and stopped cold
turkey for the diet. The Protein Shakes, Protein Bars, and small dinner were enough to keep me satisfied (for the most part). Each day I’ve been home has gotten much better. 3 days out and I’m not as sore and have been finally able to drink an entire Protein Shake. I haven’t had any appetite at all. If your feeling nervous that is understandable. I thought of cancelling mine too but then realized I’d come to far to back out.

Hello my name is Tammy I am scheduled for August 24! I would love to connect with you and share our concerns and our small victories that are already happening as we prepare for this lifelong journey. Wishing you nothing but good luck and wonderful days ahead

42 minutes ago, tammyratcliff61@gmail.com said:

Hello my name is Tammy I am scheduled for August 24! I would love to connect with you and share our concerns and our small victories that are already happening as we prepare for this lifelong journey. Wishing you nothing but good luck and wonderful days ahead

Hello Tammy! Welcome. My surgery is scheduled for August 19th. I will be having gastric bypass along with hiatal hernia repair. I saw my surgeon for my last preop visit today. I start the liquid diet one week before my surgery. It is all getting so very real now.

Good luck Tammy on your upcoming procedure. ! I’d love to connect to share our concerns and stories.

48 minutes ago, tammyratcliff61@gmail.com said: