Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you 🙏
to everybody who responded to my questions these past couple of weeks.

I just left the dr’s office and ended-up canceling my surgery set for tuesday. After reading a medical paper recently published about the correlation of wls and a decline in mental health, I’ve realized this route really isn’t worth the risk of the onset of acute anxiety and panic. Today I weighed in at 202. Would like to get to 138 (5’4”) and even though I’ve done it a million times-am going to give it another go the old fashioned way. I told my surgeon that I feel like I’m trading one health anxiety (pre-surgery—high bp) for another, (fear of bodily sensations as I heal and mental wellness). My doctor poo poo’d my concerns “we really don’t see a lot of that” and had no idea what I meant when I said I fear I’m going to panic at being trapped in my own body 😆

Good luck to all of us—this journey is not for the faint of heart ♥️ and though I’m feeling defeated at this moment I am also tremendously relieved that I’m doing what feels best for my brain 🙏🦋🦋🦋🦋

2 minutes ago, Sparkleplenty said:

Thank you 🙏

I just left the dr’s office and ended-up canceling my surgery set for tuesday. After reading a medical paper recently published about the correlation of wls and a decline in mental health, I’ve realized this route really isn’t worth the risk of the onset of acute anxiety and panic. Today I weighed in at 202. Would like to get to 138 (5’4”) and even though I’ve done it a million times-am going to give it another go the old fashioned way. I told my surgeon that I feel like I’m trading one health anxiety (pre-surgery—high bp) for another, (fear of bodily sensations as I heal and mental wellness). My doctor poo poo’d my concerns “we really don’t see a lot of that” and had no idea what I meant when I said I fear I’m going to panic at being trapped in my own body 😆

Good luck to all of us—this journey is not for the faint of heart ♥️ and though I’m feeling defeated at this moment I am also tremendously relieved that I’m doing what feels best for my brain 🙏🦋🦋🦋🦋

Its great you didn't let him or anyone else pressure you. You have to do what is right for you.

Good luck on your journey, no matter what it is!

All we can do is what feel best in our gut. You can always change your mind down the road and start the process over. Best of luck to you.

So i am 5'4 as well. and i will tell you when i weighed around 200lb. I was happy. I had no issues with my body. I wore a size XL and i think like 36 pants (I am a guy lol) and i would go to the beach, no shirt no issues at all. yea i had a little fat on my stomach but nothing major. I personally would not have gotten my surgery if i weighed 200lb or less. but i weighed 317lb and was climbing so i had to take action when diets kept failing.

Congratulations on following through on your rational assessment on what's best for you.

If it's not a bother could you link the study, please?

Good luck,

Tek

let me look again-I just googled gastric sleeve mental health and quite a few popped-up. I think mental health risks need to be added to possible complications from doctors. my surgeon really blew it off which is disappointing. I wish we could have had a more enlightening conversation about it-but I get it, he’s busy. it’s like a stomach amputation factory nowadays!

28 minutes ago, Sparkleplenty said:

let me look again-I just googled gastric sleeve mental health and quite a few popped-up. I think mental health risks need to be added to possible complications from doctors. my surgeon really blew it off which is disappointing. I wish we could have had a more enlightening conversation about it-but I get it, he’s busy. it’s like a stomach amputation factory nowadays!

My bariatric center required a psychological evaluation before surgery and if you failed then you needed to take counseling classes until they feel you can get the surgery

5 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

My bariatric center required a psychological evaluation before surgery and if you failed then you needed to take counseling classes until they feel you can get the surgery

Same with mine

18 hours ago, Sparkleplenty said:

Thank you 🙏

True, weight loss surgery isn't for everyone. It's not a one size fits all sort of surgery. But it's better to find out before you have surgery than after. If you're going to give diet and exercise a try again, maybe medical weight loss can be a tool you can use, the same way weight loss surgery is a tool that others use.

There's all sorts of newer medical weight loss options now, it's not like the phentermine only options from years ago. There's new drugs like glp 1 agonists (Saxenda, Ozempic, Rybelsus, Wegovy) they're often prescribed to help with appetite suppression.

Best wishes!

20 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss♡ said:

True, weight loss surgery isn't for everyone. It's not a one size fits all sort of surgery. But it's better to find out before you have surgery than after. If you're going to give diet and exercise a try again, maybe medical weight loss can be a tool you can use, the same way weight loss surgery is a tool that others use.

There's all sorts of newer medical weight loss options now, it's not like the phentermine only options from years ago. There's new drugs like glp 1 agonists (Saxenda, Ozempic, Rybelsus, Wegovy) they're often prescribed to help with appetite suppression.

Best wishes!

I agree with using all the other tools that helo

those of us with weight loss surgery to include a nutritionist and a bariatric therapist. Sometimes I wonder how much of it is that and how much is the actual surgery since most of us do not do those two options until we are forced to in order to get the surgery. They are both VERY big components that contribute to success and they could help you without surgery as well.

3 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I agree with using all the other tools that helo

those of us with weight loss surgery to include a nutritionist and a bariatric therapist. Sometimes I wonder how much of it is that and how much is the actual surgery since most of us do not do those two options until we are forced to in order to get the surgery. They are both VERY big components that contribute to success and they could help you without surgery as well.

My current surgeon actually told me that my weight loss probably was more to do with my behavior changes, etc than the actual Lap Band. Lap Band has is well known as an epic failure, doing more harm than good for the majority. So now I'm looking forward to an actual weight loss surgery that is more powerful and one that can get me to the finish line (goal weight). So I guess it all depends on which surgery we choose. I know the DS is a very powerful weight loss surgery. If you compare Lap Band to DS, one is not very powerful and the other is the most powerful, and all other weight loss surgeries fall between those two as far as how powerful they tend to be.