Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories per day - 2 months post op?

I am 2 months post op and was wondering how many calories others at this stage are/were eating per day? My program did not give a specific number just eat X grams of Protein per day and try to get in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of soft veggies/fruit after eating protein.

At that stage I was between 800 and 900 calories per day. I barely go in my Protein and did the best I could to get in veggies.

I wasn’t given a calorie amount at that stage either but I wanna say I was at around 6-800 if I recall correctly.

I would say around 700-800 calories and about 60+ g of Protein.

(I had surgery the same day as the OP.) I've set my tracker to let me know when I've gone over 750 calories, which I rarely do.

I'm still in pre-op stage, but the guidelines for return to normal food that they've given me are:

REGULAR FOODS | DAILY GOALS
Calories: 700-900
Net Carbs: 30 or Less
Protein: 70-90 grams
Water/Fluid Intake: 64-80 oz.

Thank you @Tony B - NJ @ShoppGirl @lizonaplane @FutureSylph and @acopas! My calories range from about 650-950. The higher days are where I made some poorer choices for Snacks like pretzel thins and regular fat cheese. I think I will aim for about 750. I do get in all my Protein and all my Water. @FutureSylph we are literally surgery twins...same surgery date and type, same height, just about same starting weight.

I was told to try to get 1200/day in, but I was more like 400/day at 2 months

Just now, ms.sss said:

I was told to try to get 1200/day in, but I was more like 400/day at 2 months

Wow...1200 seems like a lot. Not sure I could eat that many calories without eating unhealthy stuff or grazing all day at this point. Not enough room.

My team has us at 800-1000 a day from week 6 until maintenance.

With that being said, I am into my 6th week and I can barely get 600 cals a day. I do hit my Fluid and Protein goals every day though.

13 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

Wow...1200 seems like a lot. Not sure I could eat that many calories without eating unhealthy stuff or grazing all day at this point. Not enough room.

Yep, i agree (for me). I didn’t get to 1200 calories per day until about 3-4 months into maintenance (which translates to about 10-11 months post op)

P.S. to keep things in perspective, I’m barely 5’2”

Edited by ms.sss

By 2 months I was almost able to consistently eat to plan, which was 3 meals per day consisting of 3oz Protein + 1oz veggies. I have no clue on calories then or now.

Good luck,

Tek

I wasn’t given a calorie goal either just portion sizes. Many aren’t given calorie goals & those who do get a variety of calorie goals. I know I wasn’t consuming many (around 400+/-) cause I did random checks out of curiosity. Got my Protein in & a little vegetable at night & I was done. No room for anything else so I would never have met those high calorie goals some are given.

Sometimes we need little more structure & guidance so I would check with your dietician to see what they recommend. Then treat it as a guide not a hard & fast rule. The protein & fluid goals are the most important.