Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! My surgery is projected to be in the first couple weeks of July (my last pre-op appointment is June 6th, and the coordinator of my bariatric center said the surgery is usually around a month later, barring limited issues with insurance).

I currently live in Florida and am considering flying to Pittsburgh the week of Labor Day to attend a football game of my undergrad alma mater with friends and visit family. However, I’m hesitant to book the trip because I don’t know how I’ll feel 6-7 weeks after surgery.

I know everyone is different but I would love to hear from you all about your recovery experiences. Would you have been able to fly, stay outside for 3+ hours, be social for a weekend (:D) approximately 2 months out?

Thanks in advance!

I am 6 weeks post op, no problems at all. Feel good and normal energy.

Edited by kcuster83
correct

Absolutely you can do all these things. At 8 weeks post op, I flew to Mexico, went swimming, kayaking, bike riding and snorkeling. I think you can do a lot more than you think you can do at this stage. You are heavier starting out than I was, so you may have more limitations but flying and walking around are definitely doable.

22 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

I am 6 weeks post op, no problems at all. Feel good and normal energy.

That's so good to hear - makes me look forward to being where you are. :)

Keep the faith. Get yourself moving and don't look back.

4 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Absolutely you can do all these things. At 8 weeks post op, I flew to Mexico, went swimming, kayaking, bike riding and snorkeling. I think you can do a lot more than you think you can do at this stage. You are heavier starting out than I was, so you may have more limitations but flying and walking around are definitely doable.

Sounds like it was a wonderful trip!

By that far out you should be able to do pretty much whatever you could handle physically before the surgery.

18 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

By that far out you should be able to do pretty much whatever you could handle physically before the surgery.

I agree with this, and possibly even more because you are losing weight and may be seeing some increased mobility and your BP and Pulse may be improving at this point.

Just now, Tony B - NJ said:

I agree with this, and possibly even more because you are losing weight and may be seeing some increased mobility and your BP and Pulse may be improving at this point.

Yes- at 6 weeks out I can already tell a difference! For example, my feet don't hurt nearly as much when I am up a long time. My knees don't make grinding sounds as bad if at all with my right knee.

23 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

That's a great point! Thank God, even though my starting weight was 436, I've always been able to do the things I'm hoping to do the weekend in question (I'm fully mobile, can fly, walk around an airport, attend a game, etc.). BUT there was pain involved. My back would hurt or I'd have to stop and catch my breath if walking up multiple bleachers. Definitely looking forward to NOT slowing down my friends in the future.

I'd been thinking about surgery for over a year, but one of my major turning points was a few months ago while I was on a vacation to the DR. I went on a snuba trip, and the boat didn't have a full ladder to climb back up, like I'm used to. It had a single step. I couldn't pull all of my body weight back up, so I had to have someone help pull me back on the boat. Talk about embarrassing......but it led me to making positive changes.

It only gets better. I really benefitted from doing squats in the morning. I do around 100 squats (I started at around 25 and built up) while I brush my teeth in the morning. It makes good use of time I would otherwise just be looking at myself in the mirror. I noticed my legs getting much more tone and it helped my knees and my stamina greatly.

16 minutes ago, kthorn1 said:

That's a great point! Thank God, even though my starting weight was 436, I've always been able to do the things I'm hoping to do the weekend in question (I'm fully mobile, can fly, walk around an airport, attend a game, etc.). BUT there was pain involved. My back would hurt or I'd have to stop and catch my breath if walking up multiple bleachers. Definitely looking forward to NOT slowing down my friends in the future.

I'd been thinking about surgery for over a year, but one of my major turning points was a few months ago while I was on a vacation to the DR. I went on a snuba trip, and the boat didn't have a full ladder to climb back up, like I'm used to. It had a single step. I couldn't pull all of my body weight back up, so I had to have someone help pull me back on the boat. Talk about embarrassing......but it led me to making positive changes.

I started out just about where you are. In the same boat, I could do just about anything except run and fit into small spaces. haha I have only lost 67lbs and you wouldn't believe the difference already!

It amazes me how I notice every little change as I loose weight but surely didn't notice the changes going up!

I am just under 3 weeks post op here in Florida and i feel fine. I wouldnt have any issues really sitting in a plane or going walking around and i spent a good portion of the day yesterday at my local marina outside without issue. Only thing is i just make sure i have a good water bottle with me to get in all my fluids

I travel for work and was told not to fly for four weeks. I started flying (cross-country) on week five, with no issues. Get up to move around on the flight to prevent any chance of blood clots, but you should be fine (check with your surgery center of course - we're not doctors!).

I didn't notice feeling any better, more energy, etc after surgery. I walk faster, but I still get tired feet if I stand on concrete all day, and I feel tired at the end of my day just as much as before surgery. I can walk more hours and I feel restless if I don't exercise.

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

I am just under 3 weeks post op here in Florida and i feel fine. I wouldnt have any issues really sitting in a plane or going walking around and i spent a good portion of the day yesterday at my local marina outside without issue. Only thing is i just make sure i have a good water bottle with me to get in all my fluids

Good advice! I can't wait to be at a healthier weight so that I can comfortably do all the fun outdoor activities our state has to offer! :327_sunny: