Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction , always hungry and haven’t lost any weight for 2 weeks.

13 weeks post op and I’m so fed up. I can eat upto 1200 calories in a day aswell at just over 3 months post op.

what is going on?

im not eating anything I shouldn’t always have Protein first etc

any advice ? I’m more depressed now than I was before surgery. My mum eats less than me and she’s not even had surgery

How’s the exercises going ? And Water intake ? I had a lap band yrs ago and I remember periods if nothing - the body becomes accustomed to the routines. I ate bit more and changed all the exercise routines and I started loosing again. Now I’m on my way to getting a G Sleeve and remembering my past challenges.

Exercise has very little to do with how much weight you lose, or how quickly. The only exercise I did for nearly a year was walking and my weight loss was very successful.

Stalls at about the 12-week mark are very common, as you will see when you read the posts here. It's nothing to worry about. As long as you are sticking with the program recommended by your doctor and nutritionist, the weight loss will come. Just be patient. (Easier said than done, I know.)

1 hour ago, vsg02022022 said:

No restriction , always hungry and haven’t lost any weight for 2 weeks.

13 weeks post op and I’m so fed up. I can eat upto 1200 calories in a day aswell at just over 3 months post op.

what is going on?

im not eating anything I shouldn’t always have Protein first etc

any advice ? I’m more depressed now than I was before surgery. My mum eats less than me and she’s not even had surgery

Just because you CAN eat up to 1200 calories does not mean you SHOULD. If you are hungry after having your Protein, you should eat a lot of low calorie, low fat vegetables. Make sure you are drinking a LOT of Water and make sure you are exercising more. As you lose weight, it is going to take more exercise to get the same benefit. If you are not exercising, start now. You cannot keep your weight loss going if you are not walking a lot. I walk a total of an hour and 20 minutes minimum every day, in 20 minute spurts to fit into my schedule.

2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Exercise has very little to do with how much weight you lose, or how quickly. The only exercise I did for nearly a year was walking and my weight loss was very successful.

Stalls at about the 12-week mark are very common, as you will see when you read the posts here. It's nothing to worry about. As long as you are sticking with the program recommended by your doctor and nutritionist, the weight loss will come. Just be patient. (Easier said than done, I know.)

I do not agree with this at all. Exercise to me is critical to getting the weight loss to continue. If I take a few days off I notice it slows down and I get into a stall. Not to mention, you have to exercise for health as well. Finally, by exercising, you are also trimming your body down and losing inches in the right places. I think you Doctor would agree with exercise and no Doctor would say not to exercise...atleast walking.

I think I was at 1000-1200 calories at 3 months out and that was encouraged by my practice. My point is to say, if you are losing weight, it's not necessarily bad to be taking in 1200 calories. If you aren't losing weight, it could just be a stall - even at 1200 calories, you are probably in a calorie deficit unless you are really close to your goal weight, which is unlikely given you are only 3 months from surgery.

What better way to ensure a calorie deficit than to exercise a little bit.

1200 calories should still be a significant calorie deficit for anyone who would qualify for this surgery. You may not lose as fast as someone eating like 800 but you will still lose. And many practices are encouraging closer to what you are eating because they believe that being at the lower calorie intake for too long damages your metabolism. What does your team say about your loss??

2 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Just because you CAN eat up to 1200 calories does not mean you SHOULD. If you are hungry after having your Protein, you should eat a lot of low calorie, low fat vegetables. Make sure you are drinking a LOT of Water and make sure you are exercising more. As you lose weight, it is going to take more exercise to get the same benefit. If you are not exercising, start now. You cannot keep your weight loss going if you are not walking a lot. I walk a total of an hour and 20 minutes minimum every day, in 20 minute spurts to fit into my schedule.

If I don’t eat atleast over 1000 I’m snappy and hungry, I don’t force more calories in me I eat when hungry and it just happens to end up adding upto 1200 calories sometimes

1200 calories is not a lot, but it depends on 1200 calories OF WHAT food. Are you eating Protein and veggies, or are you eating cakes, sweets, and chips? You will not feel restriction if you are eating sugary or salty Snacks because they dissolve into nothing, but if you eat lean protein, you will likely feel restriction. For example, I went out to sushi last night, but didn't eat the rice, so I essentially just ate raw fish - pure protein. I was stuffed! But then after I got back to my hotel I found a rice krispy treat and was able to eat half of it with no issues... oh well.

I also have been hungry since day one! I was put on metformin and topamax (topirimate) by my medical team, and it definitely helps the hunger. So does tea and coffee, and drinking enough in general.

Also, two weeks of not losing weight is totally normal.

As far as exercise... gentle walking likely won't make you hungry (except if you're "expecting" it to). It is good for your mood and while it is unlikely to help you lose weight (you can't out-exercise a bad diet!), it is excellent for health and it is good for keeping weight off long term.

Good luck!

Just now, lizonaplane said:

1200 calories is not a lot, but it depends on 1200 calories OF WHAT food. Are you eating Protein and veggies, or are you eating cakes, sweets, and chips? You will not feel restriction if you are eating sugary or salty Snacks because they dissolve into nothing, but if you eat lean Protein, you will likely feel restriction. For example, I went out to sushi last night, but didn't eat the rice, so I essentially just ate raw fish - pure protein. I was stuffed! But then after I got back to my hotel I found a rice krispy treat and was able to eat half of it with no issues... oh well.

I also have been hungry since day one! I was put on metformin and topamax (topirimate) by my medical team, and it definitely helps the hunger. So does tea and coffee, and drinking enough in general.

Also, two weeks of not losing weight is totally normal.

As far as exercise... gentle walking likely won't make you hungry (except if you're "expecting" it to). It is good for your mood and while it is unlikely to help you lose weight (you can't out-exercise a bad diet!), it is excellent for health and it is good for keeping weight off long term.

Good luck!

Thankyou for your reply. Yes protein and veggies not cake or things like that. For example today for lunch I had 4oz chicken breast with 2oz veggies which is 6oz altogether and I had no discomfort no feeling of being stuffed and could of still ate more but trying to only stick to 6oz food at one sitting because I know people who are at my stage can only stomach 2-4oz and I can finish 6 and could still fit more in. ☹️

1 minute ago, vsg02022022 said:

Thankyou for your reply. Yes Protein and veggies not cake or things like that. For example today for lunch I had 4oz chicken breast with 2oz veggies which is 6oz altogether and I had no discomfort no feeling of being stuffed and could of still ate more but trying to only stick to 6oz food at one sitting because I know people who are at my stage can only stomach 2-4oz and I can finish 6 and could still fit more in. ☹️

A woman in another group I'm in has a similar issue. She said her surgeon told her that she had made her sleeve purposely large, but we don't know why. She is also having a hard time. I often feel like I COULD fit more in, but I have to ask myself "do I NEED more?" That is what people who have never been obese do. They stop before they are over-full, even if they COULD fit more in.

Being in discomfort is not the goal! Not being HUNGRY is the goal. Also, try adding a bit of fat to your meal, like cheese sauce or something. I find that keeps me full longer.

4 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

A woman in another group I'm in has a similar issue. She said her surgeon told her that she had made her sleeve purposely large, but we don't know why. She is also having a hard time. I often feel like I COULD fit more in, but I have to ask myself "do I NEED more?" That is what people who have never been obese do. They stop before they are over-full, even if they COULD fit more in.

Being in discomfort is not the goal! Not being HUNGRY is the goal. Also, try adding a bit of fat to your meal, like cheese sauce or something. I find that keeps me full longer.

Oh my God I hope that’s not the case for me! 10 and a half grand I paid for this surgery, I’d be mortified if I found out my surgeon did my sleeve purposely large!!

I think if I was seeing the scale move the calorie amount wouldn’t bother me, but because I’ve seen no movement in 2 weeks it’s getting me down but I’ll take ur word for it being normal and just keep plodding along, hopefully it’s a stall that will break soon! If not I will contact my practice

34 minutes ago, vsg02022022 said:

Oh my God I hope that’s not the case for me! 10 and a half grand I paid for this surgery, I’d be mortified if I found out my surgeon did my sleeve purposely large!!

I think if I was seeing the scale move the calorie amount wouldn’t bother me, but because I’ve seen no movement in 2 weeks it’s getting me down but I’ll take ur word for it being normal and just keep plodding along, hopefully it’s a stall that will break soon! If not I will contact my practice

Stalls can last up to a month. The closer you are to a "normal" weight, the longer they last, but they can last a month or more even at the beginning. Some people have more stalls than normal. This is a true head game - it's very frustrating. Sometimes eating different foods for a few days, or drinking more or exercising more, can help break a stall, but sometimes.... you just have to be patient!