Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! I know everyone’s journey is different and we shouldn’t compare ourselves to others but I’m curious… I am 5 weeks post op. I am able to eat just about anything; chicken, fish, cheese, fruits, cooked vegetables, potato, sugar free yogurt all 3-4 ounces at a time or less. All with the okay from my doctor and nutritionist. I would have guess I should’ve been feeling more discomfort and more restrictions. Did this happen to anyone?

Hello.

I am 6 weeks post op and I don't feel restriction either. I just weigh and measure my food and only eat the serving amounts on my list. So far I have been able to eat anything except solid beef. (ground beef is ok)

I am over a year out now but I was the same way as you. Worried the whole time because I never had any issues with food. I just measured everything and stopped when I ate however much I was supposed to at that stage.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Totally the same! I am 5 weeks post op - I can eat so much more than others on this forum!

Today, we had a shared lunch at church - I had one large sausage roll (minus the pastry casing), 3 tbsp of tuna Pasta salad, 3 tbsp bulgar wheat salad, the full topping of a large slice of veggie pizza and a Keto brownie.

The worrying thing is... I didn't feel restriction. 😲I only stopped because I felt I should.

Does anyone here think that a person's height and frame size has an effect on this?

1 hour ago, bestdecisionmade said:

Totally the same! I am 5 weeks post op - I can eat so much more than others on this forum!

Today, we had a shared lunch at church - I had one large sausage roll (minus the pastry casing), 3 tbsp of tuna Pasta salad, 3 tbsp bulgar wheat salad, the full topping of a large slice of veggie pizza and a Keto brownie.

The worrying thing is... I didn't feel restriction. 😲I only stopped because I felt I should.

Does anyone here think that a person's height and frame size has an effect on this?

Yea you just have to stop when you feel satisfied if you don’t feel restriction like everyone else. It takes a while but you get used to no longer waiting for that full sensation.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:00 PM, carolinac413 said:

Hello all! I know everyone’s journey is different and we shouldn’t compare ourselves to others but I’m curious… I am 5 weeks post op. I am able to eat just about anything; chicken, fish, cheese, fruits, cooked vegetables, potato, sugar free yogurt all 3-4 ounces at a time or less. All with the okay from my doctor and nutritionist. I would have guess I should’ve been feeling more discomfort and more restrictions. Did this happen to anyone?

Hi! I had my surgery about 5 weeks ago too on April 4th. I still have the restrictions and can’t really eat past 2-3 ounces but I am noticing myself getting more snacky in between meals, so that is a bit concerning to me as well. As silly as it sounds I have been starting to worry that my stomach is growing back lol. In the beginning I wouldn’t feel so snacky but now I am, and not to mention the infamous 3 week stall I have hit for 2 weeks now! But tomorrow is weigh in day and I pray I broke it.

i haven’t even eaten fruits yet as my diet says I can’t until like 3months, lucky you because I REALLY want a pineapple.

good luck to you and I’m sure everything will be fine. Just try to track what you’re eating it really makes a difference and makes you more conscious, so even if you don’t feel the restriction you are still putting nutrients and Protein in your body.

Edited by Cat0430

1 hour ago, Cat0430 said:

Hi! I had my surgery about 5 weeks ago too on April 4th. I still have the restrictions and can’t really eat past 2-3 ounces but I am noticing myself getting more snacky in between meals, so that is a bit concerning to me as well. As silly as it sounds I have been starting to worry that my stomach is growing back lol. In the beginning I wouldn’t feel so snacky but now I am, and not to mention the infamous 3 week stall I have hit for 2 weeks now! But tomorrow is weigh in day and I pray I broke it.

i haven’t even eaten fruits yet as my diet says I can’t until like 3months, lucky you because I REALLY want a pineapple.

good luck to you and I’m sure everything will be fine. Just try to track what you’re eating it really makes a difference and makes you more conscious, so even if you don’t feel the restriction you are still putting nutrients and Protein in your body.

Ugh! Just broke my stall that lasted about 2-3 weeks! Hopefully you did too! As for Snacks, my doc told me it’s perfectly normal to feel hungry more often so it’s okay to snack, just mindful snacking. Good luck!

I also had my op on the 4th April (5.5 weeks ago) and I'm comparing my journey with you girls.

I am very worried that I am eating too much so early out. I keep reading posts about people who can barely eat a postage-stamp sized piece of ham!

Can I tell you what I ate today?

• Breakfast - 1 x yoghurt pot (100 calories)
  • lunch - 100g / 4oz of pork sausages and vegetables (250 calories)
  • snack - 50g / 1oz of chicken pieces (150 calories)
  • dinner - 130g / 4.5oz of salmon fillet and spinach (200 calories)

I didn't feel any real restriction. I ate all of it fine.

I'm pleased with the Protein, but is 700 calories too much at this stage?

Could I stretch my sleeve with this?

For reference, in 5 weeks, I've lost 26lb.

Thank you for any replies!!!

Waaaah! Just realised I forgot my second snack - two boiled eggs!!!

So today's food was:

• Snack - 2 x small boiled eggs (120 calories)

TOTAL 820 calories

2 hours ago, bestdecisionmade said:

Waaaah! Just realised I forgot my second snack - two boiled eggs!!!

So today's food was:

• snack - 2 x small boiled eggs (120 calories)

TOTAL 820 calories

Well I’m not sure about how many calories you’re supposed to be eating at this stage, all I know is that I track mine.
Here’s what I eat In a typical day and it comes out to 650 cals

Breakfast: 1 cup unsweetened vanilla milk and a scoop of fruity pebble Protein Shake (iso100)

Lunch: 1 chicken breast mini enchilada from real good foods

Dinner: 1 ham roll up with a few slices of avocado and onions and .25oz of cheese

snack 1: Quest Peanut Butter Protein cups

snack 2: quest birthday cake cookie

I still feel restriction though so I’m not really past 2.5/3oz. At a time But don’t worry because the goal is to get to 4oz eventually, so if you are already there just make sure you watch what you eat and don’t overeat! I’m sure if you went over 4-5oz you would feel your restriction lol. As long as your still losing don’t worry about it too much. I’m also at the point where I’m incorporating exercise and about to start strength training in the gym as well.

hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks Cat, that is reassuring to know you are aiming for 4oz too.

It's a learning curve, isn't it?!

Last week I had my 6 week follow up, I get about 600-700 calories a day while hitting 70g MIN. Protein and 60oz MIN fluids.

According the handout we were given in one of my classes at this stage I should be getting 800-1000 calories. So I was concerned I wasn't eating enough. He told me I was perfect and if I am hungry then eat more otherwise do not worry about the shortage.

My days is kinda like this.

Breakfast: shake (30 g protein)

Lunch: some type of meat and a few bites of veggie (15-20g protein) A lot of time my lunches are leftover dinner from the night before.

Dinner: Meat and again few bites of veggies.

Snack: Usually a light cheese stick or baby bell cheese, sometimes turkey pepperoni and cheese, sometimes lunch meat and cheese rolls up.

Every once in a while I eat a few carbs with lunch or dinner, Mini tortilla, sweet potato, I have even had bread and crackers. But I fill up very fast so it is not often and I usually can't finish the carb or I skip it because I am already full.

PS: Before all you carb nazi's come at me: My nutritionist is VERY balanced. We eat all food groups, protein first and in moderation while controlling portion sizes!