Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to eat more veggies- 3 months post op

Hey! I'm 3 months post op from gastric bypass. I've been doing really well getting in my Protein and Vitamins everyday and the weight is coming off.

I feel like however I don't eat nearly enough veggies as pre op and wish I could add more for overall health, wellness and gut health.

Do you have any tips or tricks on incorporating more veggies into your meals?

I can't really have raw vegetables or raw leafy greans but raw cucumber, raw fruit, raw shredded carrot, raw onion all seem to be fine in moderation. I absolutely HATE mushy cooked vegetables and mostly ate all my veggies raw before surgery (while doing pre op weight loss).

Everytime I put cooked vegetables on my plate, I barely touch them because I find them so gross. Anyone have any dishes or tricks they can share on how to incorporate more vegetables?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ranch Dressing🤣In a few months you will be able to have a salad. I always put spinach in mine when I'm at home.

It is really hard to fit veggies in & raw veggies are harder for our tiny tummies to digest. I try to do at least 1 oz with my dinner, then I have 2-2.5 oz of Protein. It just seems so wierd to have 2 small portions on my plate, but that's all I can do. I know I'm not getting enough veggies. I have berries with my oatmeal in the mornings & then fruit before I go to bed. Fruit is much easier for me because I can take an apple with me in the car when I'm out & about.

This is why it's so important to take a multi vitamin!

Yeah the right sauce can definitely help. I'm so jealous of people that can eat salads. Never have I wanted a salad more than anything else in my life. Theyre just so convenient and healthy. I will try some low carb berries as Snacks I think here and there.

21 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Yeah the right sauce can definitely help. I'm so jealous of people that can eat salads. Never have I wanted a salad more than anything else in my life. Theyre just so convenient and healthy. I will try some low carb berries as Snacks I think here and there.

YEESSSS!! I feel this in my soul! I can't believe how much I miss salad and I am only 6 weeks post-op. I have had some raw veggies and slowly adding my favorites back into my diet to see how my stomach does. Lettuce/spinach etc. is last as apparently it is the hardest to digest. But I CAN NOT WAIT!!

1 hour ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Do you have any tips or tricks on incorporating more veggies into your meals?

Have you tried raw baby spinach in a green smoothie? I tolerated that at about six weeks out.

Today I am 3 months PO.

I did not suppose to eat salads according to my dietician but I had to travel for a couple of weeks and it was not always easy to have access to the food I was asked to have, so, small garden salads were awesome, just added 2 slices of ham or chicken. I had them with Italian dressing or ranch but only a few drops, added bonus was that it has eliminated the Constipation completely. I told my dietitian and she was not too happy but she said if it was working to keep going only to be sure to add some Protein like shredded almonds, chicken, tuna or turkey ( she said salmon too but I do not like salmon) and to eat the protein first.

I cannot stand the pre-made Protein Shakes, so I make a smoothie with 1/4 banana. one strawberry and 6 blueberries, the last week I have been adding a few spinach leaves and Nopal ( cactus) then I add the Protein Powder with no flavor. I am loosing weight slower than many others in the February group but I am still loosing.

I really want to jump on the smoothie train with Protein powder in it but I'm so terrible at making good smoothies. They always end up weird and fibrous. But I could give it a try - that might be the veggie boost I need. What are yalls favorite bariatric friendly smoothie recipes?

I can’t tell you many ideas on how to disguise the taste of them aside from using dressings or dips Which was already mentioned but I can tell you that early out I could not get enough in by just eating them after I ate my Protein. I ended up eating veggies as my Snacks for the first several months.

I love my vegetables but mushy over cooked vegetables are the worst. Don’t understand people who boil them for ages until they’re all grey & brown. They’re fine soft if slow cooked in Soups, stews & casseroles & I ate them a lot this way in the first months from soft food. I generally microwave my vegetables (in a little Water & butter, toss, strain & add salt & pepper) but you can steam or stir fry too to keep some crunch. Keep the pieces small. No sauces or gravies except maybe a little soy sauce as a seasoning.

You may have to do some taste test trials to see which ones you enjoy best & workout optimum cooking times. I started with shredded cabbage & cauliflower - others did not taste good at first. Then green Beans. But I could eat a variety in slow cooked dishes. I often threw vegetables in omelettes too (onion, capsicum, mushrooms, etc.). It took a little time to eat more than a single cauliflower floret or two green beans. You’ll get there.

5 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I really want to jump on the smoothie train with Protein Powder in it but I'm so terrible at making good smoothies. They always end up weird and fibrous. But I could give it a try - that might be the veggie boost I need. What are yalls favorite bariatric friendly smoothie recipes?

The weird fibrous texture is likely due to not blending it long enough, using a weaker blender, or not using enough liquid. Here are some recipe links (with some good tips) from YouTube: https://youtu.be/5MxZYAwzPuk https://youtu.be/EaygvBxsTiI https://youtu.be/CrY_-OxmS5s

Have you tried cauliflower rice? It is one of my favorite foods because I feel like I’m eating rice (which many bariatric patients do not tolerate well) but I’m actually eating vegetables. It’s also really quick and easy to prepare; I buy the frozen stuff and just dump some in a bowl and microwave it.

FWIW, I am almost 2 years post op and I eat tons of raw vegetables without issue. I eat salads all the time and have a daily snack of raw carrots, celery, cucumber, grape tomatoes, and peppers (with Walden Farms ranch dressing as a dip).

I am about 8 weeks out and have been eating salads (chopped small) for a couple weeks now. I have only had one incident where I threw up after eating salad (and that was gross) but otherwise no issues. It's really the only food I am eating as I'm still taking in Protein via drinks. Salads (lettuce, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, chickpeas, bulgur wheat, Tomato, etc.), Quest chips, Jello cups, and Protein Drinks are that which sustain me as of late.

Also worth noting: I buy the red or green head lettuce, it is softer than romaine or iceberg lettuce. Also, I dilute the sesame dressing with vinegar to make it stretch and reduce the calories.

Edited by LilaNicole20