Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely hate myself now

Follow up
Still having pain on right side, I see my regular Dr. On Tuesday. I think if I could get some relief from this pain I may be alright. Almost 5 months sleeved. My Surgeon says now it may be nerve pain. I just seem to believe it’s something else-

On 5/2/2022 at 10:45 PM, rmp09 said:

I should've canceled because I was losing the weight on my own before this horrible choice. I am 5ft4 and was 210.. was also told I never looked very big but my brain convinced me otherwise.. I don't even care about losing the weight anymore, I don't care about being thin or skinny. I am just going to isolate myself like I always do because now after mutilating my insides..I don't deserve any good ever again.

Sent from my SM-G781W using BariatricPal mobile app

I hope that you have talked to your surgeon and general doctor and gotten help for the issues you were experiencing

I wonder how the OP is doing these days?

5 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

I wonder how the OP is doing these days?

Me too. Somehow I missed this thread but I really hope rmp09 was able to get in to see someone. Hopefully during that intake interview they picked up on the urgency that they see someone soon.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, planham said:

Follow up
Still having pain on right side, I see my regular Dr. On Tuesday. I think if I could get some relief from this pain I may be alright. Almost 5 months sleeved. My Surgeon says now it may be nerve pain. I just seem to believe it’s something else-

What was the result of your appointment Tuesday? Did they find anything to help with your pain?

On 5/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, rmp09 said:

It seems that I am literally the only one who 100%completely regrets this surgery. I have never hated myself this much in my life. I was so obsessed with this weight loss crap for 3 yrs and now 6 weeks healed from VSG and I hate life completely now. I will never be or feel like myself again and feel I don't deserve anything good ever again. This was the worst decision of my life and I keep having ptsd flashbacks of wishing I had never done this..that I canceled when I had the chance. Why am I the only one who fully regrets this.. I can't be the only one in the world who regrets it completely...

Sent from my SM-G781W using BariatricPal mobile app

I also regret it! You’re not the only one in time we will feel better. We gave up our best friend if your emotional eater like I was. It’s sad how much food made me happy. I gave up narcotics took me years was hard but is so much harder!!! Stay strong!

I know this is kind of an older post, but I wanted to send hugs and hoping that you're feeling better these days ❤️

Whether or not this OP was a troll, I find it interesting to read here or watch (My 600-pound Life) that food addiction is so prevalent in some peoples' lives that they would rather die than live without their huge amounts of favorite unhealthy food.

Some live in denial when obese. Thinking we will somehow be OK and continue on in that lifestyle. Co-morbidities will eventually catch up. Others simply don't care, with the mindset, " We're all going to die of something someday". Both mindsets are true of most addictive behaviors.

I think most of us here really tried pre-op. Through endless amounts of diets and/or hours of exercise to finally admit we needed help and did something about it. Hence our lack of regret.

To misquote an old saying, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.... I say nothing tastes as good as healthy feels. Hugs everyone!!

On 11/2/2023 at 7:28 PM, BabySpoons said:

Whether or not this OP was a troll, I find it interesting to read here or watch (My 600-pound Life) that food addiction is so prevalent in some peoples' lives that they would rather die than live without their huge amounts of favorite unhealthy food.

Some live in denial when obese. Thinking we will somehow be OK and continue on in that lifestyle. Co-morbidities will eventually catch up. Others simply don't care, with the mindset, " We're all going to die of something someday". Both mindsets are true of most addictive behaviors.

I think most of us here really tried pre-op. Through endless amounts of diets and/or hours of exercise to finally admit we needed help and did something about it. Hence our lack of regret.

To misquote an old saying, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.... I say nothing tastes as good as healthy feels. Hugs everyone!!

I mean, I kind of hope OP was a troll, because it's terrible if someone was really feeling this bad about their decision to have surgery.

On occasion I've regretted my surgery, like when I was losing a lot of hair, but overall I'm happy that I've lost 50 pounds. I wish I could lose more, and hopefully I will. I dislike how my neck looks now and I'm dreaming of having a neck lift or even a face lift, but mostly I did this for health.

I'm positive I would never have lost 50 pounds on my own. I was losing and regaining the same 10 pounds over and over again, and would have just kept doing that. I don't really miss food, since I can eat pretty much anything, just a lot less. Like I'll have a hamburger sometimes, but just 1/4 or half. I kind of like saving on groceries, since I eat less.

8 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

I was losing and regaining the same 10 pounds over and over again and would have just kept doing that.

And you would have. I realized this past week while going thru years of stuff that I'm finally cleaning out, how long I actually struggled with dieting and weight loss. I found journals and food diaries and counting calorie lists, diet books and recipes etc. It made me sad. I could have avoided a lot of that if I had decided to get the surgery sooner.

But I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and am happy with where I am now, I can honestly say, and I've said it before...my only regret is not getting the WLS sooner.

I don't know if the OP was a troll but I think the post has merits for the reflections it has created. My partner sees a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. She seems to be rather WLS negative because she sees patients that struggle with it and regret it. But in talking about it I realized for most of these people the regrets are driven by unrealistic expectations or having food addiction issues they've never dealt with--they weren't prepared to say goodbye to their relationship with food like Babyspoons points out. The surgery is hard on our minds and if our head game isn't strong it will take us down!

Unrealistic expectations are so damaging to one's long term happiness. I don't know if it is the individual's issue, or a combo of that and surgeons painting a fairytale picture, but I had pretty frank discussions with my surgeon and GP about what I could expect from the surgery. I don't expect to lose 50 lbs in this first month. I don't expect to ultimately get down to 130lbs. I've set a reasonable goal for myself and we all agree it is attainable if everything works right. Not everything works right all the time. But I picked the surgery that had the highest chance of giving me what I really wanted---a loss of my co-morbidities. I decided that if I could kiss my diabetes and high blood pressure and high cholesterol goodbye, it would be worth the surgery even if I don't lose all the weight.

Of course I want to lose the weight, but I'm a pragmatic person and I had to really dig deep and decide how I'd feel if I never meet my weight loss goal. I didn't want to be stuck with regrets, I hate regrets. But I think most people don't do this internal work pre-surgery so they are left trying to reckon with it all post surgery when expectations don't meet reality. I think there is a lesson in that for all of us...

22 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

I decided that if I could kiss my diabetes and high blood pressure and high cholesterol goodbye, it would be worth the surgery even if I don't lose all the weight.

THIS^^^^^^

On 11/2/2023 at 8:28 PM, BabySpoons said:

Whether or not this OP was a troll

We see so much people during the first weeks after surgery "regretting" it... I doubt OP is a troll.

OP spoke in the kind of big generalizations ("I'll regret it till I die" etc) of someone who may not have understood that we are playing the long game when we have this surgery. Of course it's hard for a while. Things go wrong. The fundamentals of daily life are changed forever. But adapting is a lifelong process. After 10 years, I feel like the surgery will save your life; but it's up to us to make it a life worth living.

Edited by Kay__S

23 hours ago, summerset said:

I doubt OP is a troll.

Who knows. I was basing my comment off the discussion here on page 2. Tony called OP a troll. Either way, it's sad to me, the regret, real or not, that people feel post op. I can understand it if someone is experiencing physical problems from the surgery but mourning the loss of food? It's what we signed up for.

I don't know what other outcome they are expecting.