Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!! I am about 6 weeks post-op. I had sleeve surgery on March 21st! I was just wondering - does anyone else find themselves steering away from meat ever since surgery? Like for me, meat is too heavy on my stomach. I’d much rather have potatoes and veggies than a piece of chicken. Is it just me? 🥴

Are you sure it’s moist enough and chewed well enough?? I eat very small portions of meat (as in smaller than my typical portion of other things) but I wouldn't say it sits heavy. For many of us meat is too dry early out though and it goes down better with a bit of gravy or sauce.

I have tried with sauce and/or gravy, for some reason it just doesn’t sit well. I don’t feel sick but I almost feel like “thanksgiving dinner full.” But if I eat lighter like potatoes, veggies, or eggs (just examples) I feel much better afterwards. 🤷🏼‍♀️ maybe in time it will become easier for me.

Well i will find out tomorrow because tomorrow is the day i can move onto soft foods like eggs, canned tuna, chicken ect... and i am so excited lol so i hope it goes well

Yes!! That was genuinely the most satisfying day for me. Lol eggs never tasted so good 😋 enjoy! Just remember small bites and LISTEN TO YOUR STOMACH. When you’re full, you’re full. ❤️

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

ell i will find out tomorrow because tomorrow is the day i can move onto soft foods like eggs, canned tuna, chicken ect... and i am so excited lol so i hope it goes well

I forget....have you been on liquids post op for 1 week or 2?

Ive also read/heard most cant tolerate eggs? I wonder why

Just now, Crisscat said:

I forget....have you been on liquids post op for 1 week or 2?

Ive also read/heard most cant tolerate eggs? I wonder why

2 weeks today.

4 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

2 weeks today.

Seems like it has flown by.....maybe not to you but it sure does seem it 😛

Edited by Crisscat

7 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

Seems like it has flown by.....maybe not to you but it sure does seem it 😛

It has flown by quick lol. as soon as i wake up i am heading into that kitchen lmao. Gonna be like Xmas morning.

It does happen to some. Sometimes temporarily as their tummy is just still a bit sensitive. Some embrace the opportunity to explore & incorporate plant based Proteins. You don’t have to give up on animal proteins just take a break & see how you go. You just might need a couple more weeks.

Our tummies can be fussy at first. And there may be things long term that don’t sit as well as others. chicken, especially breast, is one that often doesn’t. bread, Pasta, rice & potatoes still tend to sit like a lump. Tried a little mashed potato on a shepherd’s pie a couple of weeks back & groan.

12 hours ago, sganci said:

Hi everyone!! I am about 6 weeks post-op. I had sleeve surgery on March 21st! I was just wondering - does anyone else find themselves steering away from meat ever since surgery? Like for me, meat is too heavy on my stomach. I’d much rather have potatoes and veggies than a piece of chicken. Is it just me? 🥴

I do not like chicken at all since surgery. It is entirely too dry and does not go down or sit will for me. The only way I can eat chicken is with sauce unless it is a chicken thigh which is more moist but more fatty as well. I do very well with a good cut of meat like a ribeye or filet. I think in moderation, like a 3 or 4 ounce piece it is fine. I do find I am going to the vegan meats more like the Gardein Ultimate Chicken Filet or the morningstar farms griller meat patties. These both have decent Protein and taste pretty good.