Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

45 day post op /day 2 Phase 4 -still not hungry -taste is off

I find it extremely difficult to eat as I am not hungry. Everything tastes bad, and I don’t enjoy eating. I have tried to eat but sometimes it hurts and I always get full. I am taking my Multivitamin and Calcium as required and drinking Water and Premier Protein shakes-plus eating yogurt, mashed potatoes, sugar free popsicles, oatmeal, eggs and Soup. Today I tried rotisserie chicken, quinoa, and one baby carrot (I was looking forward to it) and I ate a few bites chicken the entire carrot and 3 spoonfuls of quinoa. meat of any kind tastes bad. I’m a bit scared - will it get better? My dilemma is now that I’m in the stabilization phase I am overwhelmed by the amount of food I have eat.

I know this sounds funny to say now, but enjoy it while it lasts. Because it won't. Honestly, once I got used to it, I hoped it would never end because it was so easy to lose weight when I was never hungry and didn't give a flip about food. My hunger and appetite came roaring back at about five months out, and then things got A LOT harder. For all but a very small minority of people, your hunger and interest in food WILL come back sometime during the first year. So take full advantage of this period to lose as much as you can while it's relatively easy.

On 05/01/2022 at 20:08, catwoman7 said:

I know this sounds funny to say now, but enjoy it while it lasts. Because it won't. Honestly, once I got used to it, I hoped it would never end because it was so easy to lose weight when I was never hungry and didn't give a flip about food. My hunger and appetite came roaring back at about five months out, and then things got A LOT harder. For all but a very small minority of people, your hunger and interest in food WILL come back sometime during the first year. So take full advantage of this period to lose as much as you can while it's relatively easy.

Amen!

1 hour ago, ErikaF said:

I find it extremely difficult to eat as I am not hungry. Everything tastes bad, and I don’t enjoy eating. I have tried to eat but sometimes it hurts and I always get full. I am taking my Multivitamin and Calcium as required and drinking Water and Premier Protein shakes-plus eating yogurt, mashed potatoes, sugar free popsicles, oatmeal, eggs and Soup. Today I tried rotisserie chicken, quinoa, and one baby carrot (I was looking forward to it) and I ate a few bites chicken the entire carrot and 3 spoonfuls of quinoa. meat of any kind tastes bad. I’m a bit scared - will it get better? My dilemma is now that I’m in the stabilization phase I am overwhelmed by the amount of food I have eat.

I can't wait for this stage lol

Thanks all for the comments- I appreciate your reassurance that it will get better🙂 one day at a time

15 hours ago, ErikaF said:

Just eat what you can. I bought tiny amounts of everything at that time because I was the same as you. I loved all kinds of fish and shellfish before the surgery. After it made me heave. Its a bit like being pregnant again too. food smells are a no, no too. At the moment the only ones I can eat are scallops, tuna, shrimp and smoked salmon { ordinary salmon is the biggest no, no} Just hang in there, keep trying things. Leave out the carbs and veg till you can eat more Protein

I was a not hungry or interested in eating person too. I’m glad it lasted for quite some time. But I knew I had to eat & did find eating to a routine helped me meet my goals. Don’t worry too much if you can’t meet your caloric goals yet. Focus on getting all your Protein in first, then vegetables & then carbs & starch last if you can. Make sure you let your dietician know you’re struggling with the quantity of food at the moment. You can only eat what you can physically eat.

The change to your taste buds & maybe sense of smell is temporary so things that taste disgusting now will be okay again in a few weeks. Also your tummy can be a bit sensitive & their may be foods that just don’t sit comfortably or heavily. Usually this passes too but there may be things that you will always have to avoid. I still can’t eat bread, rice, Pasta (even vegetable low carb ones) & potatoes. Try some plant based Proteins until you want to try meat again.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, ErikaF said:

I find it extremely difficult to eat as I am not hungry.

I'm 5.5 months post-op and I still never feel hungry -- but, as others have mentioned, my surgeon's office told me it will almost definitely return at some point. It's challenging, because I live alone and don't really cook and it's hard to find pre-packaged food in small portions (I can eat leftovers maybe once, then I'm done with that food for a while; freezing them doesn't appeal to me). Luckily, though, food still tastes good to me. I'm figuring it out, but never being hungry sure doesn't help. At first I was excited to finally be one of those annoying women who "forget" to eat, but now it's just kind of a pain. :)

2 hours ago, Misnomer said:

I'm 5.5 months post-op and I still never feel hungry -- but, as others have mentioned, my surgeon's office told me it will almost definitely return at some point. It's challenging, because I live alone and don't really cook and it's hard to find pre-packaged food in small portions (I can eat leftovers maybe once, then I'm done with that food for a while; freezing them doesn't appeal to me). Luckily, though, food still tastes good to me. I'm figuring it out, but never being hungry sure doesn't help. At first I was excited to finally be one of those annoying women who "forget" to eat, but now it's just kind of a pain. :)

Did you know that when you go to Publix and they have things that they have packaged you can just go to the counter and ask for them to repack it in a smaller quantity. I just learned this. Not sure if you have a Publix or a store that may be similar but I know that I will save a ton using this option because I always waste when it’s packaged for a family or four or even two since my husband and I usually don’t eat the same things or I eat more than I should trying not to waste things. Both not good options. I especially love it that I can go to the bakery for special occasions and get just one treat because if I have three or four at home let’s face it I’m gonna eat them eventually. Anyways I’m not sure how many of their premade options fit into your calorie budget but if anything does you can buy just one serving.

I have found that I don’t really like chicken as much post surgery but I like fish more which I previously had to force myself to eat. So maybe try expanding your menu to things you didn’t like pre op and see if you enjoy them.

Thank you all for helping me- I will try all these ideas. I have been doing Soup often too - it seems to feel better. I have bariatric chicken broth with added Protein. I think it may be a thing with consistency. I have tried eggs-tuna-chicken-lean ground meat-Turkey lunch meat….and it was difficult….just a few bites. Maybe my stomach is still healing. I am managing to get my protein allotment but more through liquids. Perhaps my stomach is not ready for Phase 4 soon and believe me it not from lack of effort. I am so glad I have this forum and people who understand.

10 hours ago, Misnomer said:

I live alone & happily eat the same meal for 3 or 4 days. I don’t have to think about what I’m going to eat on those days. All I have to do is prep a few vegetables or a salad so I’m really only cooking twice a week.

The freezer is my friend. I freeze all my leftovers in single serve portions. And I deliberately prep extra so I can freeze meals. If I don’t feel like cooking or eating what’s in the fridge, I have a huge choice of meals I just need to microwave ready in my freezer & add a side. Four minutes & dinner is ready. Quicker than a takeaway. Made chicken & barley Soup Monday night. I’ll eat it for a few days & I froze three serves for future meals. No waste & more economical too.

I do enjoy cooking though. And I prefer it because I have control over the ingredients & how they’re cooked?

Edited by Arabesque