Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass WITH stomach removal

How are you doing? No reflux I hope!

5 minutes ago, Sleeving It Reel said:

How are you doing? No reflux I hope!

My reflux is getting better by the day! My gums aren’t bleeding anymore.

Update: I went back and forth with one of my surgeon’s coordinators today and I had the Single Anastomosis Gastric bypass (aka mini gastric bypass) plus the gastric sleeve which together is the literal definition of the SASI procedure, so it appears that’s the name for it!

25 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

Update: I went back and forth with one of my surgeon’s coordinators today and I had the Single Anastomosis Gastric bypass (aka mini gastric bypass) plus the gastric sleeve which together is the literal definition of the SASI procedure, so it appears that’s the name for it!

Well at least you know what it was now. I know I would feel a little weirded out not knowing what they had done to me.

On 05/02/2022 at 18:12, Quesodip251 said:

I’ve read about that procedure and people who have had it write that they are pleased with it.
I’m jealous! You got the new and improved surgery!
Please keep posting. I enjoy reading your stuff. 🎈

1 hour ago, Mariann812 said:

I’ve read about that procedure and people who have had it write that they are pleased with it.

Edited by Quesodip251
Grabbed another’s post section

1 hour ago, Mariann812 said:

Apparently they don’t do it often in America so it works out that I went abroad! My insurance co won’t cover the mini gastric bypass itself nonetheless an updated version of it. We’re behind the times 😆

On 05/03/2022 at 07:53, Quesodip251 said:

Apparently they don’t do it often in America so it works out that I went abroad! My insurance co won’t cover the mini gastric bypass itself nonetheless an updated version of it. We’re behind the times 😆

I looked it up when someone here mentioned it a few weeks ago. Cigna won’t cover it.

I had gastric bypass in early March during which they fixed my hiatal hernia. The hernia ended up being quite large and difficult to fix. During the hernia fix, my stomach fundus got quite banged up so they removed it. I was very happy to hear this because most of the gherlin is produced in the fundus. I still have the rest of my stomach so that part is the same as a typical bypass. Glad everything is working out for you. It is unsettling that they are able to go in a "do what they want".

1 minute ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I had gastric bypass in early March during which they fixed my hiatal hernia. The hernia ended up being quite large and difficult to fix. During the hernia fix, my stomach fundus got quite banged up so they removed it. I was very happy to hear this because most of the gherlin is produced in the fundus. I still have the rest of my stomach so that part is the same as a typical bypass. Glad everything is working out for you. It is unsettling that they are able to go in a "do what they want".

Yeah, if they had just told me ahead of time would’ve been happy as I get less reflux, less ghrelin hormone, and a decreased risk of gastric cancer now.

I’d still do it all over again I’d just bypass the coordinators who don’t know what’s going on!

On 4/30/2022 at 7:58 PM, The Greater Fool said:

It sounds like he's made changes with in the basic surgery, removing the blind stomach means changing the part of the stomach the pouch is created from so the bile ducts that used to dump into the blind stomach now dumps into the pouch. Less importantly (I suppose) the bypassed intestines would also be removed since there is no longer a blind stomach to attach them to.

I would be upset that he didn't actually perform the promised surgery, as this is no longer an Roux En Y Gastric Bypass. I would be considering legal action if this happened to me.

Good luck,

Tek

Agreed, I think it is a little "odd". Who made that "medical decision" while I was unable to do it myself? Was it a medical emergency that forced the surgeon to make this change? A surgeon or doctor or anyone can't just do what they want that is the point of medical proxies.

Re the comments about "doing what they want to" - I had a partial hysterectomy years ago. I was relatively young, and didn't want to go into menopause. I reported that morning, and saw a paragraph essentially saying he could take it all if he so chose. I refused to sign-they looked at me like I'd grown two heads. Well you have to, or he won't do the surgery, bla, bla- I eventually signed, but griped rather loudly about it. He came to see me before the surgery. I let him know he better not. He told me later if I'd been worse, or if I'd been older, he would have. I sometimes wonder if he would have gotten paid more if he'd done the entire thing. Either way, you have to do your homework, stand up for what you want, and be VOCAL about it. I mean, we don't know, do we? If (the doc, any doc) wanted more money, or wanted to do the easier, shorter surgery (I am speaking generally here) or what. Be involved. We treat docs like gods. it is your body, your life, make a list of questions and concerns, take another set of ears with you. Let him know--if he gets huffy, find another doc!

1 minute ago, oldandtired said:

Re the comments about "doing what they want to" - I had a partial hysterectomy years ago. I was relatively young, and didn't want to go into menopause. I reported that morning, and saw a paragraph essentially saying he could take it all if he so chose. I refused to sign-they looked at me like I'd grown two heads. Well you have to, or he won't do the surgery, bla, bla- I eventually signed, but griped rather loudly about it. He came to see me before the surgery. I let him know he better not. He told me later if I'd been worse, or if I'd been older, he would have. I sometimes wonder if he would have gotten paid more if he'd done the entire thing. Either way, you have to do your homework, stand up for what you want, and be VOCAL about it. I mean, we don't know, do we? If (the doc, any doc) wanted more money, or wanted to do the easier, shorter surgery (I am speaking generally here) or what. Be involved. We treat docs like gods. it is your body, your life, make a list of questions and concerns, take another set of ears with you. Let him know--if he gets huffy, find another doc!

Only I didn’t know any of this until the day after surgery. That was the issue. He never talked to me about the procedure until after the surgery even though specifically requested it. By the time of surgery I had forgotten about it.

I hope no one treats drs as Gods. I work with them daily and tell them what to do most of the time, lol.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:59 PM, Quesodip251 said:

My reflux is getting better by the day! My gums aren’t bleeding anymore.

That is great news!

22 hours ago, Quesodip251 said:

Only I didn’t know any of this until the day after surgery. That was the issue. He never talked to me about the procedure until after the surgery even though specifically requested it. By the time of surgery I had forgotten about it.

I hope no one treats drs as Gods. I work with them daily and tell them what to do most of the time, lol.

I understood that, my post was more of a cautionary to others. Too many people DO treat them as gods. I am wary of doctors. I have seen errors with doctors and my father, my mother--and THAT was a nightmare--and my husband. Too often, people will sit and accept whatever the doc says. There is nothing that says that you can't say wait a minute, go back. Explain that again. My doctor's office also seems to delight in making it hard to reach them. That's ok, I can take it as a challenge. (I always give them a day or so to respond to me, I don't expect immediate answers.)