Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yay I got the call yesterday and got my surgery date..June 13th 2022.

Tbh I almost gave up. I have complex PTSD and being in control is one of my coping mechanisms. So this whole process of not knowing when I was going to have surgery and having to wait for each step has been beyond frustrating and put me in a bad head space. I lost a work promotion because I didn't know when I would be out. The person I was going to take over for has decided to wait a year before moving up. Because of this my supervisor has decided to open up the position to everyone next year..so at min I have lost the pay increase for a year if not the promotion all together. My apartment lease is coming up for renewal and if they up the rent too much, I will have to move....without being able to hardly lift anything

I had done 6 months of a Dr. lead weight loss program as a last attempt to avoid going the surgery route. Luckily the ofc I used also has surgeons so I had records already on file for the 6mnth weight loss attempt. Then I also had to pass a psych eval (150 questionnaire and a visit with their mental health clinician (to rule out eating disorders), nutritional eval, fitness eval, lose 20lbs, a barium swallow (Dr wanted upper endoscopy but had one last yr), They normally want a sleep study but since I use a apap machine that met that. My insurance made me speak to one of their nurses who could either recommend the preauthorization the Dr submits either be approved or declined. While the nurse was great, and hour conversation when all I am thinking is don't mess this up, was stressful. Every time I got one thing done I had to wait about 14 business days to do the next.

I literally called and left several messages with my Dr's coordinator begging her to call me with a surgery date. So June 13..the day before my daughter's birthday. Luckily she is supportive and we are going to Celebrate before I start my preop diet. I was able to call my apartment management and they are sending me the renewal documents so if I needto move I can do it before the surgery. Unfortunately there was nothing that can be done about the promotion though my job is now conducting cost of living surveys due to inflation to see if they need to raise pay across the the company.

My health insurance company stlllhas to approve the surgery. But since all the paperwork is in order and the criterias are meet that will be no problem.

Sorry just really needed to vent. Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

This is a rant I can get behind, quite familiar to be honest. Aside from the promotion, which seemed out of your control all the way through, you actually took steps to deal with your frustration and angst. I'd call your response to your lack of control a win. Good show.

Bear in mind that the first few weeks or months post-op can just be a circus of out of control situations. If you approach them in the same problem solving way you should do great.

Good luck,

Tek

I agree that you handled those situations like a champ. You took steps to take as much control as humanly possible. As someone with anxiety I get what a stressful process this all is but as someone who is also over a year out now these obstacles will very soon be a distant memory but the new and improved healthier you will be still there. It will all be worth it when you start to realize all the little non scale victories. In fact, If you haven’t had a chance to check out the thread “weirdest non scale victories” I recommend that to everyone who is on the fence about WLS.

Thank y'all very much. Tbh I felt like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum when I left messages for the coordinator. So being told I handled it well means a lot to me.

You’ve summed it up very well. It’s so frustrating! My coordinator dropped the ball after my pre-op bloodwork so I had to do them again because too much time had passed. If only I had had gone opera on them instead of waiting quietly. You managed very well getting all your ducks in a row.