Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long are you missing work?

I had my surgery on Tuesday 3/22 and returned to work on Monday 3/28 so basically 6 days off. I did ok but definitely got tired and it was a little difficult remembering to drink constantly. If you get interrupted a lot at work that can be difficult as you pretty much need to take small sips constantly or at least every 15 minutes. Physically I didn't have many issues and if I did have pain it was easily resolved with some tylenol. Ultimately it depends on you and your body, but myself and my husband have both had the surgery and agree that a week off is sufficient.

23 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

No need to tell them what kind lol I'm looking up the info right now so i can get the ball rolling tomorrow.

Did you check on FMLA from your work today?

1 hour ago, Crisscat said:

Did you check on FMLA from your work today?

I told my employer I was going to file the paperwork, and they said "hang on, how about you get a letter from your doctor saying how long you need to be out and we can go from there". I found out I could be out as long as 6 weeks on FMLA and my doctor gave a letter saying I could go back to work on the 18th lol So they liked 2 weeks better than 6. I'm ok with 2 weeks. That's what I wanted anyway.

12 minutes ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

I told my employer I was going to file the paperwork, and they said "hang on, how about you get a letter from your doctor saying how long you need to be out and we can go from there"

LOL good for you!! See how mentioning those little letters sure does get a quick look or response 😛

8 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

LOL good for you!! See how mentioning those little letters sure does get a quick look or response 😛

I never would have even known to look into it at all, so thank you for telling me about it. I feel so much better with 2 weeks off. I feel like I can relax, sleep, go at my own pace.

I was working from home at the time so I only took the 2 days I was in the hospital off. Lol, I had my reasons. I was fine to WFH. I’d say a week is enough for a sedentary office job- just no lifting for 30days.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:59 AM, Future Sleeve Diva said:

I read if you have a desk job (I do) then you only need a week off. If you have a more physical job, then 2-4 weeks might be necessary. I'm taking a week off (saved up my pto days).

I took 2 weeks off, I would have been able to come back after 1 week.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, Tatt said:

If you have been with your company for a year or more, I would check into FMLA. My boss is letting me have as much time as I need but to protect me from corporate is having me put in an FMLA case.

umm and your employer has to have more than 50 employees, i think.

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/employeeguide.pdf

29 minutes ago, oldandtired said:

umm and your employer has to have more than 50 employees, i think.

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/employeeguide.pdf

You are correct. I need to get my case in. I am looking at 1-3wks off

I'm taking two weeks. I'm still WFH/remote. Tbh, I get bored easily, so I definitely didn't want to be home with nothing to do especially since it'll be a while before I'm back in the gym and exercising normally.

Edited by syllybeelosesit91

I took 1 week off, 2nd week I went back to work but worked at home. Returned to the office Tues this week. Could have gone back after 1, feeling great.

How long after surgery until all restrictions are lifted? I'm looking at having gastric bypass but I'm a correctional officer and am not allowed to return to work with any kind of restrictions whatsoever ((lifting, etc)). I'll ask my surgeon next week, but I'm genuinely curious on what to expect. Fortunately I have the luxury of taking off whatever time I need as my husband has plenty of sick leave he can donate to me when I exhaust all of my own leave hours, but I don't know what I'll do with myself if I'm facing being at home for a month, lol.

1 minute ago, K9Mando said:

How long after surgery until all restrictions are lifted? I'm looking at having gastric bypass but I'm a correctional officer and am not allowed to return to work with any kind of restrictions whatsoever ((lifting, etc)). I'll ask my surgeon next week, but I'm genuinely curious on what to expect. Fortunately I have the luxury of taking off whatever time I need as my husband has plenty of sick leave he can donate to me when I exhaust all of my own leave hours, but I don't know what I'll do with myself if I'm facing being at home for a month, lol.

It’s one month for my surgeons office until the lift restrictions are lifted.

I’m only taking 3 days off. I work from home & my manager is really flexible with health issues after having knee surgery himself so he’s given me the ok to take as much rest time as i need during the day.