Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long are you missing work?

On 04/30/2022 at 12:16, canadianpopcycle said:

I had 6 months of sick time accrued, so I took 6 weeks. I really wanted to spend that time working on changing habits, forming new ones and walking. I really wanted to make sure I was cementing my 'new life' before I introduced another element into the change.

I didn't have any post op complications or issues. I know not everyone has the ability to take so much time off, but I found it really helpful for my emotional well being as well. I didn't know if I'd be super hormonal, in pain, or whatever and I thought healing mentally and physically and only focusing on ME would be beneficial, and it was.

I LOVE that you were able to do this! (I say this as someone who is trying to turn toward self care instead of food when problems arise.)

5 hours ago, Tatt said:

If you have been with your company for a year or more, I would check into FMLA. My boss is letting me have as much time as I need but to protect me from corporate is having me put in an FMLA case.

I've been with my company for almost 4 years, so maybe I'll look into it...

I am about to be at 4 weeks and I am fighting for more time off through short term disability. I am so tired I can’t imagine working 8 hours straight. I am hoping to get more time off. Could I do it? Probably. But not well.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jessica1024 said:

My surgeon told me he wants me off for 10 days. I’m gonna try and get about 14 days off. I am a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse and work 12-14 hr shifts.

I’m also an ICU nurse and also off for 10 days! I’m only missing 3 days total though due to how I lined it up.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, Future Sleeve Diva said:

I've been with my company for almost 4 years, so maybe I'll look into it...

FMLA is federal and it seems you met the criteria for working 12 months or 120 hours. Once approved you have up to 12 weeks you can use if memory serves. Please do Google it first tho and then go to work and ask them for FMLA paperwork to fill out so you have it to cover you in case you have any problems after your surgery. Its a good protection net for employees from employers that get pissy lol

1 minute ago, Crisscat said:

FMLA is federal and it seems you met the criteria for working 12 months or 120 hours. Once approved you have up to 12 weeks you can use if memory serves. Please do Google it first tho and then go to work and ask them for FMLA paperwork to fill out so you have it to cover you in case you have any problems after your surgery. Its a good protection net for employees from employers that get pissy lol

I'm definitely going to. My employer was ok-ish with me taking off a week, but when I said it might lead to 2 weeks they said absolutely not. So something that can protect me (and my job) if I need more time is exactly what I need.

1 minute ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

but when I said it might lead to 2 weeks they said absolutely not.

I dont know that it can be denied but thats what you need to do is google it and look to make sure you know how it works so you are prepared when you ask for the FMLA paperwork.

6 minutes ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

My employer was ok-ish with me taking off a week, but when I said it might lead to 2 weeks they said absolutely not

Did you tell them why you needed the time off? That your having WLS? Because in my opinion its none of their business lol

15 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

Did you tell them why you needed the time off? That your having WLS? Because in my opinion its none of their business lol

I just told them it's for surgery. No need to tell them what kind lol I'm looking up the info right now so i can get the ball rolling tomorrow. Thanks again for the help!!

I’m having surgery on a Wednesday and plan to return the following Monday. I can work from home if necessary, but I intend to be back in the office.

i will say that this is based on what my surgeon has said for my specific type of job, but also my experience with a previous abdominal surgery. I just have to remind myself that when I had my previous surgery I was 19 and now I’m double that.

Edited by acopas

11 hours ago, Quesodip251 said:

I’m also an ICU nurse and also off for 10 days! I’m only missing 3 days total though due to how I lined it up.

I only work 2 days a week… and we self schedule. So I just figured mine up last night ..If I miss 2 days of work (PTO days). I will have a total of 17 days off before I have to return. That’s doable 😊

2 hours ago, acopas said:

I’m having surgery on a Wednesday and plan to return the following Monday. I can work from home if necessary, but I intend to be back in the office.

i will say that this is based on what my surgeon has said for my specific type of job, but also my experience with a previous abdominal surgery. I just have to remind myself that when I had my previous surgery I was 19 and now I’m double that.

wow you are keen, good luck with that

I’m taking 3 weeks off. I was sleeved in 2017. At that time I arranged 2 weeks off. Didn’t feel ready to go back to a job on my feet most of the day, so I took a 3rd. This time I’m starting with 3 weeks. I’m sleeve to RNY on 5/6.

16 minutes ago, SleeverSk said:

wow you are keen, good luck with that

I know that it's going to suck. I'm more worried about dropping off my 3 y/o to daycare and having to climb that flight of stairs. I'm considering asking the director if I can't bring her in another entrance that is ground level that they don't typically utilize for pick-up/drop-off for the first week back.

19 year old me went through a laparoscopic gallbladder removal and was grocery shopping the same night and returned to a more physically demanding job than I have now within two-three days. When I had my first baby, I returned to work in a couple of weeks, so I think I'm either stupid or hard-headed.

7 minutes ago, acopas said:

I know that it's going to suck. I'm more worried about dropping off my 3 y/o to daycare and having to climb that flight of stairs. I'm considering asking the director if I can't bring her in another entrance that is ground level that they don't typically utilize for pick-up/drop-off for the first week back.

19 year old me went through a laparoscopic gallbladder removal and was grocery shopping the same night and returned to a more physically demanding job than I have now within two-three days. When I had my first baby, I returned to work in a couple of weeks, so I think I'm either stupid or hard-headed.

I went back to work 2 weeks after having my child. But I was 22 years old and broke lol