Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant 5 months after VSG surgery

Hello. I just found out this Easter that I am pregnant 5 months after VSG surgery (SURGERY date 11/15/2021). I am excited but at the same time I am very nervous as I'm older and I have no idea how this pregnancy will go now that I've had VSG surgery. I know we are supposed to wait until 1 year after surgery to get pregnant but I did not believe it would be possible to get pregnant so quick as we had been trying for the past 6 years and nothing. I have/had PCOS and that was the reason we couldn't get pregnant. Anyone else been through this at around this timeframe after VSG surgery. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have seen people on here post that they got pregnant just a few weeks after sleeve surgery. If you go into the search bar and type in pregnant. you can find all the post with that topic. Would probably help you out a lot

thank you. I will make sure to search this up.

11 hours ago, LettyVSG said:

Hello. I just found out this Easter that I am pregnant 5 months after VSG surgery (SURGERY date 11/15/2021). I am excited but at the same time I am very nervous as I'm older and I have no idea how this pregnancy will go now that I've had VSG surgery. I know we are supposed to wait until 1 year after surgery to get pregnant but I did not believe it would be possible to get pregnant so quick as we had been trying for the past 6 years and nothing. I have/had PCOS and that was the reason we couldn't get pregnant. Anyone else been through this at around this timeframe after VSG surgery. Any tips would be appreciated.

This actually scares me lol Your post could literally have been written by me, and I'm NOT trying to get pregnant after surgery.

Congratulations. Such wonderful news after your struggles.

Pregnancy seems to be quite common after WLS. All the hormones flooding your body make you extra fertile. Likely why some surgeons recommend doubling up on contraception for a while.

Have you spoken with your dietician? They’ll be able to advise on the small changes you’ll need to make to your eating plan. You’ll also find that you don’t have to add that many additional calories to your diet so your weight loss won’t be compromised just delayed with your pregnancy. I’ve read you slowly increase to only 200-300 extra calories by the third trimester. That old ‘eating for two’ was just an excuse for people to overeat. It may be different for as you’re on a fairly low calorie diet now. And you’re already eating a much healthier & more balanced diet which will be benefitting your baby.

All the best.

Amazing - congratulations!!! I don't have any wisdom to offer (too old to have had to research any of this, LOL) but after six years you must be absolutely over the moon. I understand your trepidation but I hope if you talk it through with your surgical team they'll be able to reassure you. I hope everything goes really well for you :230_hatched_chick:

I don’t have any advice to offer either but wanted to say congratulations. You already have the best team in place to help you make the best food choices for you and baby. Just be sure to stay in close contact with them and you should be fine. Best of luck to you.

Thank you to everyone. I am scheduled this week for our first ultrasound. Hopefully we get to hear the heartbeat and get to see baby. As for my nutritionist I have an appointment this Friday in which I will talk to her and ask if there is anything different I need to be eating. I am currently taking all my Vitamins daily plus my prenatal Vitamin. I've also been keeping up with my Water intake daily as well as follow my health diet including 70g of Protein a day. Calorie intake has been at around 1000 calories but I know that the nutritionist wants me to go up to 1200 calories. It's just a little difficult for me at this time as I feel so nauseas at this stage in the pregnancy. Fairlife chocolate Protein Shake has been a life saver as I can drink that slowly and that covers 30g of protein for my day. I will try to keep everyone updated on my experience. Thank you all once again and happy mother's day to all the lovely moms. :)

Hi Letty! How’s your pregnancy progressing?

I’m 5 months post-op and just got a positive hpt yesterday.

Hello LilaNicole,

First of all Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am currently 6 months pregnant and so far everything is going well. Baby is good and I am good as well. I have gained 2 lbs since I found out I was pregnant. So my VSG is still helping me with my weight. The first trimester of pregnancy was the worse for me as I had bad morning sickness. I am currently in the second trimester and I feel so much more energy and I am eating a more normal amount (well normal for us VSG patients). Baby is measuring great and healthy. We found out we are having another little boy! We are so excited and have begun doing some baby shopping. I will try to update once we get to the third trimester in a few weeks. :)

On 08/30/2022 at 16:24, LettyVSG said:

Hello LilaNicole,

First of all Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am currently 6 months pregnant and so far everything is going well. Baby is good and I am good as well. I have gained 2 lbs since I found out I was pregnant. So my VSG is still helping me with my weight. The first trimester of pregnancy was the worse for me as I had bad morning sickness. I am currently in the second trimester and I feel so much more energy and I am eating a more normal amount (well normal for us VSG patients). Baby is measuring great and healthy. We found out we are having another little boy! We are so excited and have begun doing some baby shopping. I will try to update once we get to the third trimester in a few weeks. :)

Yay!! Congrats to you too. I’m excited to hear how your pregnancy progresses. I am having the morning sickness now and it isn’t fun. I’m still losing weight but I also see myself eating more often - all throughout the day. My nutritionist said I just need to aim for 80-100g Protein each day and continue my Vitamin routine. I haven’t yet seen my OB, hopefully this week or next. This is so exciting and I’m so glad you’re in this boat with me!
Cheers (minus the beers)

Well I am currently on the last trimester of my pregnancy. We are to be having a scheduled c-section due to previous c-sections I have had with my previous babies. Everything has looked good with baby's health as well as mine. Baby is about 3lbs as of now. We have about 8 more weeks left. Weight gain has been a total of 4 lbs. Nothing else new, just keep getting my Protein in daily, drinking lots of Water, and taking my Vitamins. One pregnancy symptom that is horrible is heartburn. I have it soooo bad every day as well as leg cramps.

LilaNicole congrats again and I'm so excited for your bundle of joy. :)

So happy to hear from you Letty! Tomorrow starts my second trimester. Everything is going good so far. My weight has stabilized but I’m not gaining. My nutritionist had advised me that I need to increase my calories by like 700/day. Even with the increase in calories and Protein (averaging 80g/day) I’m keeping level.

Did you have sleeve or bypass? I had bypass and I’m really really hoping that heartburn doesn’t return - ever!

Hopefully the next 8 weeks go by fast for you! Sounds like you’re going to have a Christmas baby!! Yay!!

LilaNicole,

I had the gastric sleeve. I'm due in December but it seems like I will have an early scheduled c-section. Do not know when yet.