Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious if anyone who has had the sleeve if they experienced their sleeve leaking post op?? I have not had surgery yet, its next week Tues (May 3rd). I had my appt today with my surgeon and I know its just to inform me of what could happen with risks of the surgery but when she was going in to detail of the steps needed if a leak is found or happens. It made me take a step back and I said whoa! Im sure its my mind messing with me since Im only 5 days away from surgery date. But I dont recall of anyone in here mentioning having a leak. Maybe the statistics are low but it sure does make you say hmmm?

I have read about leaks apparently the one night stay is to have u drink test to check there are no leaks not sure what else have not seen it mentioned on this App

2 minutes ago, deborah3888 said:

I have read about leaks apparently the one night stay is to have u drink test to check there are no leaks not sure what else have not seen it mentioned on this App

I didn't have a drink test.

Well I know I have to have that liquid test as well post op. But I dont think Ive come across anyone who in fact had a leak. So I thought I would ask if anyone had experienced a leak?

12 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

Well I know I have to have that liquid test as well post op. But I dont think Ive come across anyone who in fact had a leak. So I thought I would ask if anyone had experienced a leak?

I've been wondering what the symptoms are.

Well my Dr told me I probably wouldnt know but that stomach acid could leak inside me and antibiotics would need to be administered. Symptoms to watch for she said was abdominal pain, hard to breathe, fast heart rate, visible drainage coming from the incision site. Statistically I think its a low percentage that leaking happens but Im curious if anyone has had one

No leaking for me either. Neither did my three who also had a sleeve. I didn’t have a liquid test to test for a leak either.

They can occur anywhere between the first days or up to a few weeks after surgery - I guess until you are fully healed. They are not very common. Surgeons tend to staple & stitch to decrease the risk of a post surgical leak.

You can do things to help avoid a leak too. Follow your eating plan (nutrition & not stressing or straining your healing tummy), don’t carry anything too heavy (<10lbs to begin), don’t be too active too soon (gentle walking at first).

If you have any symptoms go to your nearest hospital & contact your surgeon as soon as possible.

All the best with your surgery.

No leaks or leak test for me either. I think it’s pretty uncommon nowadays. A little anxiety is pretty normal five days out from surgery. Just think of all the medical issues you will have if you continue to be obese. What procedures or surgeries will you eventually need if you do nothing and what are the risks for those.

Gastric Sleeve leak symptoms;

Fast heart rate, fever, chills;

Abdominal pain, chest pain, and difficulty in breathing/breathing faster than usual;

Visible drainage from the incision;

Intense nausea and vomiting, low blood pressure, pain in the left shoulder area;

Less urination and general weakness.

I don't think leaks are very common. And they're usually caught before you even leave the hospital.

No leaks here.

The leak will be normally apparent by pain, fever etc. You can find information on google. I had a leak test about a week later which they say if a leak is going to occur, it is usually in the first week. I drank some barium stuff and they x-ray looking for leakage outside the stomach. From what the Doc says, this is a rare occurence.