Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who experienced heartburn or GERD after gastric sleeve?

I've heard that VSG can cause heartburn and GERD. I used to have severe GERD, painful esophogeal spasms, and an esophogeal stricture before I had a Nissen Fundoplication (hiatal hernia repair). I'm afraid those problems will return after surgery. The Nissen Fundoplication has to be undone and the surgeon will repair the hiatal hernia in another way. My surgeon assures me that if he repairs the hiatal hernia, I'll be unlikely to have acid reflux. Does anyone have experience with having a hiatal hernia repaired while undergoing a sleeve gastrectomy? Has it worked for you? Have you experienced much acid reflux and heartburn?

I got the sleeve on April 18th. I have had a few days where the reflux was extremely painful. I have yet been unable to lay down to sleep because of it. I am on a medication for 30 days called pantoprazole 40mg. It worries me a lot because i cant afford to get a revision. I never had this issue before surgery. If you have heartburn. Getting the bypass may be best. It basically eliminates GERD for most people.

I am not in a similar situation not but wonder if you have reason to choose sleeve instead of bypass. Many people with history of gerd opt for bypass.

I had occassional GERD/heartburn when I overate prior to surgery. I am 7.5 months out and I've only had heartburn once - after eating crackers. I know many people get hiatal hernia repairs with sleeve. But I'd ask your doctor whether they recommend bypass or sleeve.

13 minutes ago, 3catnight said:

I've heard that VSG can cause heartburn and GERD. I used to have severe GERD, painful esophogeal spasms, and an esophogeal stricture before I had a Nissen Fundoplication (hiatal hernia repair). I'm afraid those problems will return after surgery. The Nissen Fundoplication has to be undone and the surgeon will repair the hiatal hernia in another way. My surgeon assures me that if he repairs the hiatal hernia, I'll be unlikely to have acid reflux. Does anyone have experience with having a hiatal hernia repaired while undergoing a sleeve gastrectomy? Has it worked for you? Have you experienced much acid reflux and heartburn?

Some Lap Band and VSG patients end up developing GERD or reflux several years post op those two weight loss surgeries. I'm one of them (Lap Band). Both surgeries operate under a high pressure system and years later for whatever reason the high pressure placed on the esophageal sphincter causes reflux/GERD. So now I'm awaiting revision. My surgeon told me that anyone with reflux or GERD currently or in the past, she recommends RNY.

Sure repairing the hernia now will fix the reflux issue currently. But then years later you may be impacted by reflux/GERD again due to the high pressure on the esopageal sphincter (nothing to do with a hernia). When that happens to "cure" the reflux/GERD many revise to RNY.

15 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am not in a similar situation not but wonder if you have reason to choose sleeve instead of bypass. Many people with history of gerd opt for bypass.

My surgeon encouraged me to choose the sleeve over bypass because the previous hernia surgery is less likely to cause complications with the sleeve. And I'd like to eventually be able to take anti-inflammatory meds again. My mom had bypass 14 years ago and she can't take anything much for her arthritis because anti-inflammatory meds burn her stomach. I don't want to be in the same boat when I'm her age.

2 minutes ago, 3catnight said:

My surgeon encouraged me to choose the sleeve over bypass because the previous hernia surgery is less likely to cause complications with the sleeve. And I'd like to eventually be able to take anti-inflammatory meds again. My mom had bypass 14 years ago and she can't take anything much for her arthritis because anti-inflammatory meds burn her stomach. I don't want to be in the same boat when I'm her age.

Yeah I get that. I have RA. I stopped Celebrex about 6 months ago and then began CBD oil. It's working for me. Has your mom tried CBD oil? She might talk to her doctor about it if she hasn't. It might give her some well needed pain relief. It also helps inflammation.

3 minutes ago, 3catnight said:

Well the surgeon knows best. From what I understand though even with sleeve you can only take anti-inflammatory on rare occasions even years post op I am a little worried about that too because arthritis is very bad in my family but i Figured they would have to give me rx pain meds Since I had the surgery I hope they will if I need them

34 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Well the surgeon knows best. From what I understand though even with sleeve you can only take anti-inflammatory on rare occasions even years post op I am a little worried about that too because arthritis is very bad in my family but i Figured they would have to give me rx pain meds Since I had the surgery I hope they will if I need them

yes - some surgeons are now recommending that sleeve patients avoid NSAIDs, too.

3 hours ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Yeah I get that. I have RA. I stopped Celebrex about 6 months ago and then began CBD oil. It's working for me. Has your mom tried CBD oil? She might talk to her doctor about it if she hasn't. It might give her some well needed pain relief. It also helps inflammation.

I'll suggest CBD oil to her. Thanks.

I am 2 years out, I had the sleeve. I have some issues but not that much.

I take OTC meds and it helps a lot

I just know the stuff that will make it happen, eating to fast, eating Tomato based stuff..and stress lol

9 hours ago, 3catnight said:

And I'd like to eventually be able to take anti-inflammatory meds again. My mom had bypass 14 years ago and she can't take anything much for her arthritis because anti-inflammatory meds burn her stomach. I don't want to be in the same boat when I'm her age.

You really won’t ever be able to take NSAIDs again even with a sleeve. Certainly not in full doses or regularly or prescription strength. They are far too harsh because they are more concentrated in your tiny tummy.

After about a year, my surgeon told me I could have an over the counter anti inflammatory on rare occasions but never for consecutive days. I’ve taken four capsules in 2 years. One after my gall surgery & another after thumb surgery. When my back went out I took one in the AM & one in the PM. That’s it. I also take a PPI every day which probably helps when I do take a NSAID.

I had reflux for years but managed it 99% of the time with dietary choices. Very rarely took medication. Likely why my surgeon still decided to give me a sleeve. I still have reflux now but it manifests differently & is only pretty mild. Yes, I take a PPI every day which keeps most of it under control. I sometimes get burning in my throat late at night but it’s not bad (it doesn’t keep me awake) & is usually because I ate Protein too close to going to bed.

Personally, I’d ask my surgeon for some stats around long term success of gerd not reoccurring in sleeve patients after hernia repair/fundoplication, and stats of gerd developing in all post sleeve patients. Then make your final decision of which surgery yiu want to have.

I am 3 1/2 months out from my sleeve and for the first time in my life, I started having HORRIBLE gerd symptoms 2 days ago. I'm uncomfortable during the day, but at night is when I'm in agony. I'm on 40mg of Omeprazole for 6 months because of the surgery, so I'm shocked this is happening. I made a post titled "Is this GERD?" because I literally have never felt anything like this before and it's freaking me out. I'm scared that if GERD is starting 3 1/2 months out from surgery, I'm going to have to be miserable for years before I can be approved for a revision. And I thought bypass was kind of the gold standard for eliminating GERD, and now I'm nervous having read a few threads on here about people getting the bypass and developing GERD after, or getting it because of GERD and it not going away.

6 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I am 3 1/2 months out from my sleeve and for the first time in my life, I started having HORRIBLE gerd symptoms 2 days ago. I'm uncomfortable during the day, but at night is when I'm in agony. I'm on 40mg of Omeprazole for 6 months because of the surgery, so I'm shocked this is happening. I made a post titled "Is this GERD?" because I literally have never felt anything like this before and it's freaking me out. I'm scared that if GERD is starting 3 1/2 months out from surgery, I'm going to have to be miserable for years before I can be approved for a revision. And I thought bypass was kind of the gold standard for eliminating GERD, and now I'm nervous having read a few threads on here about people getting the bypass and developing GERD after, or getting it because of GERD and it not going away.

If you have it this soon out I don’t think you will have as many issues getting revision. It’s when people all of a sudden claim to have it years out after they have regained weight that it seems to be more questionable as to whether they really have gerd or just want another surgery to lose the weight. (No I’m not saying that all those people are being dishonest it’s just that some have been and that ruins things for the rest). If you are still losing, though, why would you lie to get another surgery. Ya know? That’s just how I would look at it as a person who reviews claims. I would definitely make sure to call or see the dr and let them know everything though so there is documentation that it started early if I were you. Plus, the prescription meds were cheaper than over the counter for me and they are stronger.