Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who experienced heartburn or GERD after gastric sleeve?

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

If you have it this soon out I don’t think you will have as many issues getting revision. It’s when people all of a sudden claim to have it years out after they have regained weight that it seems to be more questionable as to whether they really have gerd or just want another surgery to lose the weight. (No I’m not saying that all those people are being dishonest it’s just that some have been and that ruins things for the rest). If you are still losing, though, why would you lie to get another surgery. Ya know? That’s just how I would look at it as a person who reviews claims. I would definitely make sure to call or see the dr and let them know everything though so there is documentation that it started early if I were you. Plus, the prescription meds were cheaper than over the counter for me and they are stronger.

I'm going to call on Monday and see if I can get in to see my surgeon or the NP. The burning in my throat is constant now and I have zero desire to eat because everything either makes me really nauseous or triggers a BRUTAL reaction (pain, intense burning in my stomach, chest, and throat, nausea, shortness of breath, PAIN)

21 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I'm going to call on Monday and see if I can get in to see my surgeon or the NP. The burning in my throat is constant now and I have zero desire to eat because everything either makes me really nauseous or triggers a BRUTAL reaction (pain, intense burning in my stomach, chest, and throat, nausea, shortness of breath, PAIN)

Good. Hopefully they can give you something different to manage it or get the process started to do a revision. My fingers are crossed for you that they figure it out very soon.

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

Good. Hopefully they can give you something different to manage it or get the process started to do a revision. My fingers are crossed for you that they figure it out very soon.

Thank you :)

7 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

If you have it this soon out I don’t think you will have as many issues getting revision. It’s when people all of a sudden claim to have it years out after they have regained weight that it seems to be more questionable as to whether they really have gerd or just want another surgery to lose the weight. (No I’m not saying that all those people are being dishonest it’s just that some have been and that ruins things for the rest). If you are still losing, though, why would you lie to get another surgery. Ya know? That’s just how I would look at it as a person who reviews claims. I would definitely make sure to call or see the dr and let them know everything though so there is documentation that it started early if I were you. Plus, the prescription meds were cheaper than over the counter for me and they are stronger.

You can't fake GERD. I mean there's a number of tests that can detect it via imaging.

I developed GERD about six years after surgery. I had all of the tests that proved it so getting approved for revision was easy.

I lived with GERD long enough on a double dose of Protonix to develop a kidney stone from overuse of PPI's... who would fake all of that? Not me.

2 hours ago, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

You can't fake GERD. I mean there's a number of tests that can detect it via imaging.

I developed GERD about six years after surgery. I had all of the tests that proved it so getting approved for revision was easy.

I lived with GERD long enough on a double dose of Protonix to develop a kidney stone from overuse of PPI's... who would fake all of that? Not me.

I’m saying that some people try to and that why you probably had to have all those tests to prove it. I just know that the insurance companies make all these obstacles to jump through because they don’t believe people really have it. I’m assuming that’s because some people did fake it at some point.

On 08/20/2022 at 16:27, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

Hi, what test did you have to prove it? I just got a denial for revision because they want me to do a pH 24hr monitoring test to probe my GERD. I appealed because my GERD has been documented, and I have an EGD done showing that I have a large symptomatic Hiatal hernia, but I guess they want this test to prove it...I’m very frustrated.

8 hours ago, lolarose13 said:

Hi, what test did you have to prove it? I just got a denial for revision because they want me to do a pH 24hr monitoring test to probe my GERD. I appealed because my GERD has been documented, and I have an EGD done showing that I have a large symptomatic Hiatal hernia, but I guess they want this test to prove it...I’m very frustrated.

I had an EGD and a Fluoroscopy Upper GI with 15 degree head tilt. I had GERD and bile reflux.

On 08/25/2022 at 22:12, lolarose13 said:

I had an EGD and barium swallow test. The EGD documented my hiatal hernia but the barium test showed my GERD wasn’t severe enough for the revision from VSG to RNY. My hiatal hernia is being repaired and is covered by my insurance but the revision to RNY was denied. I had to pay out of pocket for the revision ($2600.) My surgery is on Monday 8/29.

I had sleeve and a hernia repair. I also had mild reflux symptoms since Nov 2020 that was being treated with meds 2x a day.

I asked my surgeon why sleeve, since I had reflux prior - why not bypass. She felt my reflux, being relatively recent and mild, would be addressed by my hernia repair.

She explained her reasons for suggesting sleeve over bypass for me, all which made sense with her explanation so I went with her recommendation.

I’m less than 2 weeks out but so far I’m very happy with my decision.