Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I at least got to sleep last night in the recliner. I wasn't in pain that I know of while a sleep. But this morning I'm feeling it again. I also can't take a deep breath. That sends pain in my ribs and thru my shoulders

9 hours ago, Robz said:

The nurses acted as if there was no reason to get pain meds. They are probably correct be nothing is helping me.

It was the same for me while in the hospital. They said pain pills or pain IV meds will do nothing about gas pains. I did get a nice big bottle of liquid hydrocodone tho with my discharge medication. I only used a tiny bit once i got home.

13 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

It was the same for me while in the hospital. They said pain pills or pain IV meds will do nothing about gas pains. I did get a nice big bottle of liquid hydrocodone tho with my discharge medication. I only used a tiny bit once i got home.

I was given pill form hydrocodone. I have to crush it and mix it with something to drink. I've had 2 back surgeries and a hysterectomy. I never took pain killers for those. Honestly this pain has surprised me. I usually have a high tolerance for pain. But not this time lol

12 hours ago, Robz said:

I had my surgery on Tuesday 4/26. I'm in awful pain in my shoulders, neck and rib cage. How long does it take for the gas to leave your body. I'm walking a lot to help. I just can get comfortable any where. I'm not able to get up from a chair if I sit back to far. I can not lay down in bed. The pain is horrible. I knew I would hurt but I never thought I couldn't get comfortable.

The best way to tackle this issue is to get up frequently and walk, walk and then walk more. You have to get that stuff moving around to get rid of it. The night of my surgery I walked on and off for hours. The day after I walked even more. Not only will it move along the gas, but it is going to help you heal faster. You simply have to move much more than you would think you needed to. I spent most of the first few days on my feet and shuffling around the house.

I didn’t have any gas pain but have been reading about it quite a bit for over a year because most people do and it’s probably the biggest complaint post surgery. Some people say gas ex helps a little but most agree that walking is the only real solution. I know people say that pain medication doesn’t help it anyways.

1 hour ago, Tony B - NJ said:

The best way to tackle this issue is to get up frequently and walk, walk and then walk more. You have to get that stuff moving around to get rid of it. The night of my surgery I walked on and off for hours. The day after I walked even more. Not only will it move along the gas, but it is going to help you heal faster. You simply have to move much more than you would think you needed to. I spent most of the first few days on my feet and shuffling around the house.

I've been walking. Maybe it's just not enough. It's not as bad today as it had been the last couple of days. I actually got some sleep. So hopefully I'm getting a little better.

30 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I didn’t have any gas pain but have been reading about it quite a bit for over a year because most people do and it’s probably the biggest complaint post surgery. Some people say gas ex helps a little but most agree that walking is the only real solution. I know people say that pain medication doesn’t help it anyways.

I wish I had gotten me some chewable gas x. There are a lot of stuff doctors and staff don't tell you. I wish I had looked into this before my surgery.

16 hours ago, Robz said:

I have been. While in the hospital I just started walking on my own. I thought someone would make me walk but no one ever came to say you need to go walk. I walked a lot in my room and since I've gotten home I'm walking every where in the house. If I hadn't walked on my own. I can only imagine how bad the pain would be.

Walking in your house isn't enough. Walk around the block. Hope it gets better soon!

Sorry you are in so much pain. There are two different gas pains. One is from the abdominal inflation and is trapped in your abdominal cavity which, from what I was told, presses on your diaphragm and the shoulder pain is inferred from nerves near the diaphragm. The other is intestinal gas due to the surgery itself. Unfortunately, I found my pain meds did not touch either one. The shoulder pain took about 2-3 days to go away (it gets re-absorbed into the body) but my intestinal gas pains took about 10 days. I found the intestinal gas to much more painful. I could literally feel the air bubbles moving through my system. I did take chewable Gas-X and found little relief (they will only help the intestinal gas). Eventually, it will be gone and a dim memory...hope you are feeling better otherwise.

22 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Walking in your house isn't enough. Walk around the block. Hope it gets better soon!

I live in the country on a farm and my house sits on a hill. So my yard is very uneven and hilly. So right now I'm walk thru my house and I'm doing several laps. The pain is getting a little better. It's not as horrible as it was last night.

3 hours ago, Robz said:

I wish I had gotten me some chewable gas x. There are a lot of stuff doctors and staff don't tell you. I wish I had looked into this before my surgery.

I just checked Amazon and it says next day delivery to my area? Do you do Amazon? Or maybe Walmart delivery (you can get a month free trial).

Ooh glad to hear it is starting to ease up. Each day it should get a little better.

5 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I just checked Amazon and it says next day delivery to my area? Do you do Amazon? Or maybe Walmart delivery (you can get a month free trial).

My daughter is picking me some up today 😊

Just now, Robz said:

My daughter is picking me some up today 😊

Ooh good.

8 hours ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I did take chewable Gas-X and found little relief (they will only help the intestinal gas). Eventually, it will be gone and a dim memory...

Yep my Dr and I just talked about this today and I asked her if I could use chewable Gas-X. She said she will not tell me no because she has said patients have told her gas x helps while others say it did nothing. She explained it the same way as Flab-U-Less, Gas X is for intestinal gas but some ppl seem to get relief from it.