Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal/right?

Hi there totally new here and just looking for peoples experience, I am post op 10 days post gastric bypass, just wondering if I am eating too much or too little, just scared I am messing thing up ; so currently I am eating around 4- 5 yoghurts a day and around 2-3 cups of coffee with almond milk and 2 Soups a day. All the yogurts are low sugar and low fat ie when I look at the calories for everything except my soups I get around 600-700 calories a day this is without counting the soups as they are home made with carrots, chicken etc. Pre surgery I was 131 kg - 288.8 pounds , and day of surgery I was 124 kg - 273.4 pounds and now I am 117 kg - 257.9 pounds (10 days post op). (I am 184 cm height - 6.03 feet)

I have not eaten any additional Protein as I getting that with the soups , and will call my dietician for follow up to make sure I am doing things right, and also I feel hungry a lot however I think its just because I am dead bored with the food, not sure if this is normal or not. Looking forward to hear other peoples experience. Many thanks

I've learned that it's all about your surgery center's guidelines. Some places don't give calorie limits while some are really strict about it. I was concerned that I was eating too much in my puree phase but its generally fine to eat 600-800 calories so early on. It's a huge deficit lol and not like you're eating 1800+ . My dietician said around 800-900. Once I'm healed even 1000/1200 is normal. I'd ask your dietician to see if they have any specific requirements for you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Definitely talk to your dietician especially as you’d like more guidelines around calories & portion sizes. Never be reluctant to ask for as much help &. advice as you need. You have to feel very comfortable & confident with your food choices.But also never get down on yourself if you make a mistake or get confused. You’ve lost weight so you’re not totally on the wrong path. 🙂

I’d also ask for a recommended food list for each stage. While in the liquid stage, we’re usually encouraged to consume Protein Shakes & in my list, yoghurt was not recommended to try until purée (too thick). I’m also presuming you’re straining your Soups & only eating the broth component. Many are not allowed caffeine either so it may be an idea to check that too. There are lots of variations of calories, portion sizes, food restrictions & recommendations, stages, etc. so it is always best y check what your surgeon & team want you to do.

It is difficult to work out the calorie content of foods you make yourself. That’s when I found portion size recommendations were really helpful from purées. On liquids, I used to sip for as long as I wanted & reheat as necessary. I’d take a couple of hours to drink my Breakfast shake.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

I know it seems like it would be a standard easy answer but the rule of thumb is to ask your team because so many places have so many different plans. I would try to work out the Protein for the Soups and see if you are close to your teams goal (your yogurt should have quite a bit too, especially if it’s Greek yogurt). If not and you don’t want to do Protein Shakes you could always add plain Protein Powder to your soups. I haven’t done it but I have read on here that there is a trick to it. The Soup can’t be too hot when you mix it in I think.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Your calories sound right in line with where you should be right now and the serving sizes seem appropriate. Follow your surgery center's recommendation on macros for Protein, etc. Congratulations on your surgery. Keep us posted on your progress.

You can easily figure out the calorie count of recipes you make yourself by using the "recipe" function on a calorie calculator like MyFitnessPal. Just add all the ingredients in manually, then divide by the number of servings (I divide my recipes into small containers as soon as I cook them and just re-heat the individual portion).