Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was March 7th, and I've lost 33 pounds so far (starting weight 193). Lately my weight has been doing a weird thing where I will gain and lose the same half a pound or so for a few days in a row. (I typically weigh the same time every morning) I don't understand how I could gain ANY weight when I'm barely eating anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

First you shouldnt be weighing yourself daily like that... Everyone can gain or loose a pound or so daily. Also Water weight. Also you will end up running into stalls where you wont loose any weight and maybe even gain a tiny tiny bit.

Ok my question goes with this, I think. My surgery was 4/4. I was weighing everyday and that was not helping out. So today was the first week I waited a week in between and I just stayed the same weight. Is this normal, has this happened to other people? I didn’t think I would stop losing weight so early. I lost 15 lbs before and 15 lbs after. Does anyone have a similar situation?

56 minutes ago, rkreutzer said:

Ok my question goes with this, I think. My surgery was 4/4. I was weighing everyday and that was not helping out. So today was the first week I waited a week in between and I just stayed the same weight. Is this normal, has this happened to other people? I didn’t think I would stop losing weight so early. I lost 15 lbs before and 15 lbs after. Does anyone have a similar situation?

you will hit stalls along your journey. you are possibly in one now where you wont loose weight for a couple weeks or so.

What you’re likely seeing is your natural fluctuation. Mine is a kilogram (2.2lbs) over a couple of days. Fluctuations in our weight occur because we may be retaining a little Fluid, be constipated, may be you didn’t pee as much the night before, hormonal fluctuations, just how your body digests food, stores energy & excretes waste, etc. Because you likely didn’t weigh yourself this frequently, you’ve never really noticed this fluctuation before. Weight loss isn’t a consistent straight line of losing the exact same amount every day. It’s a wiggly line of ups & downs & plateaus. As long as the general trend of your loss is downwards you’re golden.

There’s nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day. I did & so do a lot of others. You know yourself best & what you need to keep you on track & motivated. If you find it hard to reconcile the wiggly line of weight loss, weighing every day is not for you.

Many find it useful to take body measurements a long the way as well. Especially as sometimes es the scales don’t move but the tape measure does.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

12 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

First you shouldnt be weighing yourself daily like that... Everyone can gain or loose a pound or so daily. Also Water weight. Also you will end up running into stalls where you wont loose any weight and maybe even gain a tiny tiny bit.

I weigh myself daily at one point it was twice daily. I rarely weighed myself before surgery and back in the days when my weight was in check I also weighed daily. For me it helps check things in check.

To the OP yes my weight bounces between the 2 same kilos for a month. This is my tracking since Feb. 73kg, 72,73,72,72, 71,72,71,72,71. These are roughly weekly recordings my loss has slowed alot now I am 9 months out but early on it was a similar pattern

Edited by SleeverSk

1 hour ago, SleeverSk said:

I weigh myself daily at one point it was twice daily. I rarely weighed myself before surgery and back in the days when my weight was in check I also weighed daily. For me it helps check things in check.

To the OP yes my weight bounces between the 2 same kilos for a month. This is my tracking since Feb. 73kg, 72,73,72,72, 71,72,71,72,71. These are roughly weekly recordings my loss has slowed alot now I am 9 months out but early on it was a similar pattern

One thing about people who weigh themselves daily is it can cause mental issues. during my pre op testing the psychologist and nutritionist said to stay off the scale. That some people become so obsessed with it that any change they dont like they start to panic like crazy.

sounds like you're in a stall. Those are very common and it'll likely be the first of many while you're on your journey. They typically last 1-3 weeks. Just make sure you're following your plan to a "T" and stay off the scale for a few days. It'll break and you'll be on your way again.

oh - and as others have said, the fluctuation (up a lb or two, down a lb or two) is very normal. Probably Water retention and/or having fuller intestines some days than others.

16 hours ago, Siameseplease said:

My surgery was March 7th, and I've lost 33 pounds so far (starting weight 193). Lately my weight has been doing a weird thing where I will gain and lose the same half a pound or so for a few days in a row. (I typically weigh the same time every morning) I don't understand how I could gain ANY weight when I'm barely eating anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

It's like we are twins...For the past 5 days I have gained and lost the same 0.5 lbs. I had surgery on March 3rd and have lost a total of 37 lbs (12 lbs during pre op diet and 25 lbs since surgery). It is very frustrating but I figure I am in another stall (I had one about 2.5 weeks post op that lasted for about 6 days then I started losing again). Keep following the plan...we will get through this!

My surgery was April 6 and I am going through the same thing. We just have to keep doing what we are supposed to do and eventually it will pass, but it sure is agravating!

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using BariatricPal mobile app

scales are crazy making tools of the devil. Cast them out.

I am so glad (for a quixotic definition of glad) that pre-op and for at least the first year post-op that I was too large for a home scale. I could only weigh at monthly at follow-ups. As a result, I never saw the stalls that I inevitably experienced. I also noted that my Doc never talked about my weight loss unless I brought it up. He was concerned with how I was doing on the plan, how my health was, my mental attitude, or whatever I wanted to talk about.

Once I was able to weigh at home I weighed myself 2-4 times a day for a couple weeks, mostly for the novelty of weighing on a home scale. After that, I just went back to weighing only at follow-ups.

All these years later I don't weigh at home, but only at my annual physicals. I can tell by how I feel or how my clothes feel if I need to adjust anything, but honestly don't worry about my weight otherwise.

All this to say that especially early on you don't need a scale. Follow your plan and it will work for you.

Good luck,

Tek