Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

51 minutes ago, khamm said:

Can someone let me know what a pre op diet is? and how long your on it?

My surgery date is June 1

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

You have a surgery date, but do not know what a pre-op diet is? Didn't your dietician or nutritionist explain this to you?

Your surgery center will let you know what, if any, pre-op diet you will have to follow. Many people have a liquid diet for a week or two before surgery to shrink the liver and make surgery easier and safer. Some doctors don't require this, or require a different type of diet. Make sure you read many times all the information sent to you by your surgery center.

Well it's specific to each surgeon. They have different pre op diets, so I would talk to your surgeons office before stocking up on anything. One person on here had to use the Protein Shake that his surgeon provided. So I can't offer any advice. Sorry.

Every surgeon has their own pre-op requirements. Unfortunately, the ASMBS doesn't have hard & fast guidelines for pre-op diets so they vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon. Most have some elements of calorie restriction, lower carb, and higher Protein. Mine was on the more restrictive end, being 2 weeks of liquids only, but others follow a whole foods based plan that allows for multiple meals a day. As others have said, you'll need to get your plan for your surgeon and go from there.

Every surgeon is different with the pre op diet... The point is to shrink your liver. My pre op diet was 2 weeks of liquids only. 5 Protein Shakes a day. Some surgeons allow 1 small meal of lean chicken/fish and some veggies. The length of the pre op diet depends on your BMI. Those of us with higher BMIs tend to get the longer pre op diets while those with lower bmi's get shorter or even no pre op diet.

It varies so drastically from surgeon to surgeon and even patient to patient. Some people are on all liquid while others are on a low carb and low sugar type diet only or a combination of the two. One thing you most likely will need is Protein Shakes no matter what but even those some doctors have requirements on brands. I know your excited and want to do something to get a step closer to your surgery (I was too) but it would be best to just wait until your appointment.

9 hours ago, khamm said:

Not yet, I have that appt in a couple weeks just wondering what it is so I can stock up on a few things,

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

That's surprising. My dietician went over the pre op diet with me before I even had the surgery date, and then again after I got it. And then a 3rd time when I had my pre op appt.

There are several variations of what a surgeon may require you to do pre surgery. I had an easier road as I was on Keto for two weeks (I did almost three because of when I saw my dietician). Some do two weeks of nothing but shakes. Others, two weeks of shakes for two meals & one of Protein & vegetables/salad. Some do a day or two only.

I did discover my surgeon recommends different diets for different patients based on their weight loss/gain history, starting weight, health status, etc.

The purpose is to shrink your liver which is likely fatty & enlarged therefore clearing some of the abdominal field so they can better see what they’re doing during surgery. Some use it to see if you can manage a restricted diet before surgery because of the restrictive diet to support your healing after surgery.

But I do agree. Wait until your next appointment before buying anything for your pre & post surgery diets.

20 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

That's surprising. My dietician went over the pre op diet with me before I even had the surgery date, and then again after I got it. And then a 3rd time when I had my pre op appt.

Same with mine. We knew up front that there was a liquid diet requirement. The closer it got we had to see the dietician and we received what those requirements for the liquid diet were. I think mine was discussed 3 times as well