Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you ever drink soda again after surgery

21 hours ago, Robz said:

I'm hearing different things...... so can you eventually drink carbonated drinks after your surgery?

Ultimately you can do anything you want after surgery, and reap the benefits / consequences.

Every surgery center, surgeon and team have different rules and regulations.

I would say follow what they tell you. After all if you can trust them to cut into your body, you should be able to trust them to guide you thru the rest of the process. Some say a hard NEVER NO, some say yes. Mine recommends against it basically because it makes you full and you need to be full of better things.

I personally know 5 people who had WLS, 4 drink carbonation (soda) and 1 does not. They all have different levels of success and/or failures. Only 1 of them have hit their goal and maintained it for about 6 years now and she is the one who does NOT drink carbonation. But she drink alcohol regularly so who knows what's "right or wrong". I guess we all need to just find what works for us to be the healthiest happiest version of ourselves.

I used to drink diet coke everyday, at least 1 a day. I stopped before surgery to prepare myself. I am not saying I will never have another one but I will hold off as long as possible and likely won't until I hit my maintenance. Who knows if I will even want it or like it if I do try it. Right now, I have no urge or want for it so I am not worried about it yet.

Yes,yes you can some days it goes down fine some days it's get gassy and uncomfortable for a few minutes

On 4/22/2022 at 6:03 AM, Robz said:

I'm hearing different things...... so can you eventually drink carbonated drinks after your surgery?

Frozen coke is a great alternative after surgery

It's been almost 3 months since my surgery, and I have to say that carbonation is the thing I miss the most. Even just unflavored seltzer Water. I'd like to try it again at least 6 months out, but I'm afraid it'll lead right back to soda. Good to hear that at least carbonation isn't completely off the table.

36 minutes ago, SleeverSk said:

Frozen coke is a great alternative after surgery

I love frozen coke!

I disagree with the "always [blindly] follow your surgeon's advice". This is your body, and your responsibility. Doctors don't always know best. Hence the opioid epidemic, low fat diets and so much more.

Id be afraid Id be able to tolerate it and go back to my old behaviors. I drank way to much Dt Coke. Ive got it down to 1 16.9 oz bottle a day and now about 8oz a day to hopefully conquer it. At this point I dont even want to try a sip post op no matter what phase I am at. Im actually hoping my taste changes after surgery to dislike Dt Cokes LOL. Ohh and my surgeon says no sodas ever and no straws.

I always LOVED drinking soda, it was my favorite (and usually almost only) thing I ever drank. When I was in college one summer we were on a meal plan where we got $25 to spend in the school cafeteria a week, Every week I bought 8 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi (forgot which) and filled up a little mini-fridge I had in my room. I drank all 8 bottles every week. And that was just when I was in my room, that doesn't include the sodas I would drink throughout the day. And yes I drank them right out of the bottle like an animal.

That was admittedly excessive, but for the next 20+ years I still drank a LOT of soda, had it every day with most meals and throughout the day. Preferably Diet Coke but I'd take Diet Pepsi if DC wasn't available. Also loved Diet Cherry Coke and Diet Cherry Pepsi. The caffeine never even affected me, I'd drink it right before going to sleep with no problem.

I would definitely feel miserable if I went a day or two without, like caffeine withdrawal headaches. I had my last glass of soda the day before my first 2 week liver shrinking diet before my sleeve surgery, back in December 2016. The first week was absolutely miserable going without both food and soda but I managed. My doctor advised no more soda EVER so I followed his instructions and never had a full glass of any type of soda ever again since then, and honestly I don't even miss it. After a while I tried a sip once or twice when I was really thirsty and nothing else was around and I discovered that I can't stand the taste anymore. It's too fizzy, too saccharine, just unappealing. I really don't miss it. Even when I screwed up and put most my weight back on before I had my revision to bypass, I never started drinking soda again.

I get bored drinking Water so I drink tons of crystal light lemonade and I actually just found something new this week - I'm on vacation in Virginia and found a brand called Milo's that makes Sweet Tea which of course I can't/won't drink, but they have a Zero calorie version which I got and it's delicious, I already found a store near me that sells it so I'm going to start adding it to my shopping list.

Good luck!

Edited by Tufflaw

2 hours ago, Tufflaw said:

I drink tons of crystal light

How do you compare the artificial sweeteners in this to those in Diet Pepsi?

8 minutes ago, Pollito said:

How do you compare the artificial sweeteners in this to those in Diet Pepsi?

Doesn't bother me at all, I love the taste and my doctor says it's fine to drink.

11 hours ago, Robz said:

I love frozen coke!

And if you are like me and don't have anywhere that sells frozen coke buy a 600ml bottle put it in your freezer until it starts to freeze but still soft, it will go like a slushy when you open it.

11 hours ago, SoCalEm said:

It's been almost 3 months since my surgery, and I have to say that carbonation is the thing I miss the most. Even just unflavored seltzer Water. I'd like to try it again at least 6 months out, but I'm afraid it'll lead right back to soda. Good to hear that at least carbonation isn't completely off the table.

I hear you I was afraid of that too (coke addict) but it's been OK some days I really crave a coke and then Ican go days without it. Moderation is the key. I do drink heaps of soda Water zero calories and powered which has more calories than coke 🤔🙁

4 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

And if you are like me and don't have anywhere that sells frozen coke buy a 600ml bottle put it in your freezer until it starts to freeze but still soft, it will go like a slushy when you open it.

I always put my coke or Dr Pepper in the freezer before I drink it lol. I'm not saying I will drink soda again. But I was curious about it sometime after surgery. I'm reading no straws. But my doctor has not said anything about not using straws. My coworker that had the surgery in January still drinks thru a straw 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven't tried straws, but I do have to drink soda from a glass these days I can't do it straight from a can or bottle, sometimes I can but most times I get gas caught in my throat and it feels like it's in my chest and I feel like spewing for a few minutes until I burp. That happens if I drink it to soon after eating also

My surgeon says wait 6 months because of the carbonation. I don't drink coffee, so I have a half of a can in the morning of diet coke. I drink it slowly, I've never had a problem. I use a straw, never had an issue. Also drink the occasional cup of tea. However, I'm losing so slow, nobody can see the results yet! I've lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks, stalled out since then. I can't eat any carbs at all.