Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG stories **fertility trigger warning**

Hi I’m just looking for some people who are going through or have been through the same.
I have really PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
I have tried for years to loose weight and it has impacted on my fertility hugely for the last 3.5 years.

I have decided on a VSG (hopefully at the end of May).

I am so angry that it has come to this as my only option and feel completely abandoned by the NHS.
I know that this surgery will change my life and hopefully for the better but the permanence is bothering me.

Is there anyone out there who has had their PCOS symptoms improve with VSG?
What is the post-op like?

Please help, I’m in so much turmoil about everything and it would be amazing to not feel so alone.

51 minutes ago, KGreen said:

Hi I’m just looking for some people who are going through or have been through the same.
I have tried for years to loose weight and it has impacted on my fertility hugely for the last 3.5 years.

I am so angry that it has come to this as my only option and feel completely abandoned by the NHS.
I know that this surgery will change my life and hopefully for the better but the permanence is bothering me.

Please help, I’m in so much turmoil about everything and it would be amazing to not feel so alone.

I have PCOS and struggled with infertility back when we were trying to conceive my kiddos (now ages 5 and 7). I'm only 2 months post-op RNY, but I'm hopeful that this WLS will help with my PCOS symptoms. I was told to use two forms of birth control for the first year, because the rapid weight loss and resulting hormone fluctuations can make people SUPER fertile, and my program says not to get pregnant for the first 2 years post-op.

Only 2 months out and I can already tell this is the best decision I've ever made for my body. I've lost a fair amount of weight before, but with my PCOS it's always like swimming against the current and I always wind up gaining it back plus 20 lbs (like, EXACTLY 20 lbs, for some reason!) The weight is coming off so much more easily this time, and I can already feel that it's going to STAY off and not be an endless struggle. My skin has cleared up, I've got less peach fuzz facial hair (no more shaving my sideburns, yay! lol). And my abdomen, which is where I carry the most of my weight and has always been the last place for weight to come off, is now one of the fastest shrinking parts of my body! Excellent. :)

Sending you loving and positive vibes on your journey!

Well, while I haven't ever been diagnosed with PCOS, I am experiencing infertility. I was pregnant once, for 25 weeks and then my babe experienced fetal demise and passed. We got pregnant naturally but not since 2020. I just had RNY on March 8th and I'm hoping we see a positive test in our future, again.

Infertility is frustrating and painful. just hang in there. I had the surgery for fertility reasons, too. Hoping this provides my body room for my eggs to release freely and to safely bear another child.

Congrats on taking control of your life and your circumstances. I'll be following you and your story ... maybe we both will get our rainbows!

edit: Not sure if you have it or have heard of it, but I use an app called Glow to track my cycles. There is a community section on there (similar to this) where you can search for weight loss surgery, vsg, gastric bypass, etc. and read the stories and experiences of people on there. You can, of course, post as well. It's a little more focused on the PCOS and fertility angle than just general weight loss. food for thought.

Edited by LilaNicole20

16 hours ago, KGreen said:

I also have PCOS. I had my son naturally but then had 10 losses before I was diagnosed with PCOS (even though I have all the classic signs and symptoms, not a lot of doctors knew about it). This was back in 2005. I went on birth control for a few months, then had to take Metformin and Clomid to get pregnant with my daughter. I had her in 2006 (my kids are 8 1/2 years apart because of the PCOS) and after I had her, I was never able to get pregnant again. My hormones are all over the place and I CANNOT lose weight and keep it off no matter what I do (I always have initial success but it never lasts). I was told that bariatric surgery is huge in helping PCOS patients get pregnant because weight loss is the #1 thing that helps. It *can* help with hormones, but not always. The weight loss is really the biggest factor for PCOS patients. But that can also make birth control pills (which regulate periods, add estrogen to low estrogen hormones) more effective, as well as fertility meds (Metformin and Clomid, Femara, etc) more effective. Also makes your body healthier for pregnancy (almost no diabetes or high blood pressure issues). So the surgery is definitely huge for helping PCOS patients have a baby. Good luck!!!