Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Postponed coz of covid 😩

Was scheduled for the 27th April! Just had a call this morning from the hospital's surgical unit, apparently there are no beds in the hospital they're all occupied with covid patients, the next available date is May 16th and even THAT'S not guaranteed! I'm not stressing about ANOTHER the 3 weeks to wait, it's just my work situation we had to find someone to cover for me, now I've got 3 weeks or even longer to sit around and do nothing (loss of income) ☹️ and the liquid diet & preparations- all for nothing 😩😩

Edited by Merill

2 hours ago, Merill said:

Was scheduled for the 27th April! Just had a call this morning from the hospital's surgical unit, apparently there are no beds in the hospital they're all occupied with covid patients, the next available date is May 16th and even THAT'S not guaranteed! I'm not stressing about ANOTHER the 3 weeks to wait, it's just my work situation we had to find someone to cover for me, now I've got 3 weeks or even longer to sit around and do nothing (loss of income) ☹️ and the liquid diet & preparations- all for nothing 😩😩

I'm sorry :( Is there any way you can tell your job what happened and work the original days you had off and then take off the new days you'll need for the new surgery date? Is your area a hotbed for covid again? Where I'm from, we're in "green" and all mask mandates have been lifted except in doctor's offices and hospitals.

40 minutes ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

I'm sorry :( Is there any way you can tell your job what happened and work the original days you had off and then take off the new days you'll need for the new surgery date? Is your area a hotbed for covid again? Where I'm from, we're in "green" and all mask mandates have been lifted except in doctor's offices and hospitals.

I've already spoken to my boss, and told him it's ok for the 3 weeks that he's found someone to cover for me, not to stress over it but if it extends any longer then we'll think about resolving it. Unfortunately here in Melbourne I am in a covid hotspot, it's everywhere with the new variants. Hence the reason why I drive to work although its so costly to take the car in to the city, with the parking and toll fees! its crazy. I try to minimise the risks of catching it as much as I can! although Im a covit Survivor from 3 months ago, and already double vaccined. But we're still at risk of catching all the variants of this stupid disease! oh well everything happens for a reason I guess, I just have to wait and see what happens with the new scheduled date now🙄😐

Edited by Merill

15 minutes ago, Merill said:

I've already spoken to my boss, and told him it's ok for the 3 weeks that he's found someone to cover for me, not to stress over it but if it extends any longer then we'll think about resolving it. Unfortunately here in Melbourne I am in a covid hotspot, it's everywhere with the new variants. Hence the reason why I drive to work although its so costly to take the car in to the city, with the parking and toll fees! its crazy. I try to minimise the risks of catching it as much as I can! although Im a covit Survivor from 3 months ago, and already double vaccined. But we're still at risk of catching all the variants of this stupid disease! oh well everything happens for a reason I guess, I just have to wait and see what happens with the new scheduled date now🙄😐

Oh wow!! We've had a total of 4 different strains of covid here in the US. Alpha strain (I had that one), Delta, Omicron (I had that one) and the new one (I forgot the name of it). Alpha was BAD BAD BAD. Because I had that, I was immune to Delta (that's what i was told and I never got it, so...) and then I had Omicron (I honestly never even noticed it until I tested positive for it) and I was told having Omicron makes me immune to the new variant (so apparently Delta is an offshoot of Alpha and the new variant is an offshoot of Omicron, which is why the immunity is working that way). I also have my antibodies tested every month to make sure my titer levels are still in the immune range. As long as they are, I'm not getting the vaccine. If/when they drop very low or below immune, I will get double vaxxed and boosted. I think if you've had covid AND you're vaxxed, you'll be completely fine. If you get covid after all that, I doubt you would see much of anything with it.

7 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Oh wow!! We've had a total of 4 different strains of covid here in the US. Alpha strain (I had that one), Delta, Omicron (I had that one) and the new one (I forgot the name of it). Alpha was BAD BAD BAD. Because I had that, I was immune to Delta (that's what i was told and I never got it, so...) and then I had Omicron (I honestly never even noticed it until I tested positive for it) and I was told having Omicron makes me immune to the new variant (so apparently Delta is an offshoot of Alpha and the new variant is an offshoot of Omicron, which is why the immunity is working that way). I also have my antibodies tested every month to make sure my titer levels are still in the immune range. As long as they are, I'm not getting the vaccine. If/when they drop very low or below immune, I will get double vaxxed and boosted. I think if you've had covid AND you're vaxxed, you'll be completely fine. If you get covid after all that, I doubt you would see much of anything with it.

Well when I was down with covid, nobody told me what strain it was they just tell you that you are positive and thats it.. I had it pretty bad I was bedridden for 5 days with a fever I had no energy to get up at all and the coughing was so bad, my throat was damaged to the point where I had no voice left, my stomach muscles were cramped from so much pressure, I lost all sense of taste and smell I never thought I would be so down and out with a virus but luckily I survived it with my family support and not admitted to hospital. Thank God! I wonder if that was the Delta or Alpha strain because a lot of people were saying its more likely to be Delta but now you're saying Alpha is worse than Delta whatever it was I'm glad it's over and hope that this whole virus pandemic just ends so everyone can get on with their lives🙏🙏🙏

Edited by Merill

2 hours ago, Merill said:

Well when I was down with covid, nobody told me what strain it was they just tell you that you are positive and thats it.. I had it pretty bad I was bedridden for 5 days with a fever I had no energy to get up at all and the coughing was so bad, my throat was damaged to the point where I had no voice left, my stomach muscles were cramped from so much pressure, I lost all sense of taste and smell I never thought I would be so down and out with a virus but luckily I survived it with my family support and not admitted to hospital. Thank God! I wonder if that was the Delta or Alpha strain because a lot of people were saying its more likely to be Delta but now you're saying Alpha is worse than Delta whatever it was I'm glad it's over and hope that this whole virus pandemic just ends so everyone can get on with their lives🙏🙏🙏

Delta was worse (as in a more dangerous variant)- but the difference is, there were no vaccines available when we were hit by Alpha - and it was also so new that they weren't sure how to treat it. They've learned a lot in the last couple of years...

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

Delta was worse (as in a more dangerous variant)- but the difference is, there were no vaccines available when we were hit by Alpha - and it was also so new that they weren't sure how to treat it. They've learned a lot in the last couple of years...

Well one would hope so in 2 and a half years with so many lives lost millions of people vaccines and trialled like guinea pigs😶

12 hours ago, Merill said:

I almost died from Alpha, didn't get Delta, didn't even notice Omicron, haven't gotten the new strain. I only knew I had Alpha strain because it was the first strain that came out back in 2020 and there wasn't anything else yet. Once Delta came out and they started naming them, then I knew. Omicron cam along and they have tests to determine what strain you have and that's how I found out.

That’s horrible. I am so sorry your having to wait AND take all the extra time off work. Hopefully everything will go on as expected and this will just be your last little vacation before your journey. You can take the time getting things organized and in order before surgery. I know I wished I had cleaned the house right before because I was just stuck in the house looking at all the stuff I would do if I was allowed. It drove me crazy to not just do it.

Mine was postponed 9 days. My 10 day Optifast liquid diet was put on pause officially but I just continued it. Took less willpower for me to power through for 19 days than to stop and start. Reason was the anesthetist was unwell. I was....angry. But we got there in the end.

9 hours ago, Pollito said:

Mine was postponed 9 days. My 10 day Optifast liquid diet was put on pause officially but I just continued it. Took less willpower for me to power through for 19 days than to stop and start. Reason was the anesthetist was unwell. I was....angry. But we got there in the end.

Yeah same here I was so enthusiastically waiting organised my job to be covered by someone else at the same time, so this gives me 3 weeks of no work but everything happens for a reason I guess, there's nothing I can do but wait, the bad part is the hospital staff said it could even be cancelled on the day of the rescheduled date, so anything can happen I remember my brother being ping-ponged and cancelled rescheduled 5 times before he had his kneecap surgery finalised and done!

Exactly and what can happen usually does...but I'll think you'll be ok now. Remember, everything eventually just becomes a memory.

15 minutes ago, Pollito said:

Exactly and what can happen usually does...but I'll think you'll be ok now. Remember, everything eventually just becomes a memory.

Very true Pollito, there really isn't anything we can do when this sort of thing happens, other then keep positive chin up and wait, did not let it get me down! İt's just given me more time to prepare i guess lol