Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I've been doing low-sodium, strained chicken noodle Soup for my broth. Does that work? I tried the carton of pure chicken broth, but it was GROSS!!! Not sure if that's normal or if it's just my picky taste buds.

That’s fine. The Soup is most likely condensed so the broth flavor will be more intense. I prefer that as well so I used the flavor packets from ramen noodles and found them to be more flavorful than other broths.

Edited by ShoppGirl

What you're allowed is up to your surgery center. But packaged broth is gross - it's not just you. After surgery I bought tom yum and hot an sour Soup and strained them.

Good luck on your surgery!

1 hour ago, lizonaplane said:

What you're allowed is up to your surgery center. But packaged broth is gross - it's not just you. After surgery I bought tom yum and hot an sour Soup and strained them.

Good luck on your surgery!

I meant more is that still considered “broth”? I suppose so but just wanted to double check.

I ate strained Soup as broth, my thought was I know the difference between a broth based soup and a puréed one, so I stuck with things like chicken noodle, etc. It worked for me!

6 hours ago, chef855 said:

Hi all,

I've been doing low-sodium, strained chicken noodle Soup for my broth. Does that work? I tried the carton of pure chicken broth, but it was GROSS!!! Not sure if that's normal or if it's just my picky taste buds.

I have the store bought broth (I bought vegetable, chicken, and beef) and I bought this to mix with it for heavier flavor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQMM4GL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I tried it last night and tonight, and with the extra flavoring, they are really good!!!!

A broth is just liquid so no meat, vegetables or noodles. If you’re straining it you should be okay. As alternatives, have you tried bone broths? Strained wonton Soup or pho?

For my liquid phase I bought a bunch of different Soups and just strained them and drinking only the broth. other people ate the

Plain broth is so bland and Bone Broth is disgusting!

I was told any strained soups were ok. Even creamed but that they should be low fat creamed soups. Every program is different though.

I have mentioned this product before and stand by it. Unjury makes a Protein Powder with chicken broth flavor that is outstanding. It is 21G of Protein and the taste is better than broth or Bone Broth. It is worth trying. I swear by it for that protein boost I need when I don't get it from my meals.

7 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

I have mentioned this product before and stand by it. Unjury makes a Protein Powder with chicken broth flavor that is outstanding. It is 21G of Protein and the taste is better than broth or Bone Broth. It is worth trying. I swear by it for that Protein boost I need when I don't get it from my meals.

I hated it, couldn't even stand the smell.

I added bullion to broth, got some miso easy for something different. Tried a variety of Bone Broth the Fond was my fav, lots of different spices to choose from. If you have a local ramen spot you could get miso and a soy based broth to pick up

23 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I hated it, couldn't even stand the smell.

Well...it is whey Protein so it will have a scent to it. All the whey Proteins do to some extent. It does not seem off putting to me. It is much better than some of the stuff I have tried. I just cannot take the faux chocolate flavors, where the aftertaste is off putting to me.

4 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Well...it is whey Protein so it will have a scent to it. All the whey Proteins do to some extent. It does not seem off putting to me. It is much better than some of the stuff I have tried. I just cannot take the faux chocolate flavors, where the aftertaste is off putting to me.

Yep- everyone like what they like. I did have such high hopes for it!

On 4/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, Tony B - NJ said:

I have mentioned this product before and stand by it. Unjury makes a Protein Powder with chicken broth flavor that is outstanding. It is 21G of Protein and the taste is better than broth or Bone Broth. It is worth trying. I swear by it for that Protein boost I need when I don't get it from my meals.

Based on your high recommendation I just ordered a sample pack from Unjury! 😝

On 4/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, Tony B - NJ said:

Well I received my Unjury sample yesterday in the mail and I tried the chicken Soup tonight for my "dinner". It does have a much better flavor hands down but I found it tasted pretty salty too but that could just be me. Thanks for the recommendation!

Curious, when did anyone use the Meal Replacement powders? I have samples from both Unjury and Bariatric Advantage. I just cant remember if its pre op or post op usuage? 🤔