Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airplane anxiety, just venting

Have my first post op airplane ride tomorrow. So fricken nervous. The last time I was on a plane, I weighed around 324 lbs. I flew southwest and the buckle didn't close, I was so damn embarrassed I covered the buckle with my arm against myself and just prayed the attendant didn't notice.

Now im about 270 lbs, still have a ways to go but im terrified the buckle won't fit again. I've flown at 280 and the buckle fit on jet blue and coach american. I'm hoping it'll be okay but still have so much anxiety. I got the bigger seats in the front on American Airlines this time but Ughhhh can this weight come off already? This is probably one of the worst parts about being obese. I love traveling but hate that I'm so scared and embarrassed of not fitting into plane seats.

I know it'll be huge NSV when the buckle isn't suffocating my lower stomach and sides but just being confident enough that I fit any plane seatbelt is so annoying. I'm trying not to beat myself up but it's so frustrating when you've lost 70 lbs and you're still dealing with things like this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have used extenders and lived. It's momentarily embarrassing, but you can ask the flight attendant and they are really chill about it. They are so used to it!

No one has every said anything to me - passenger or flight attendant - in any situation when I've asked or used an extender.

it really depends on the plane, not so much the carrier. I exclusively use American but there's a huge range of seat designs.

If you're really worried, you can buy an extender on Amazon.

Ask for the extender. Like @lizonaplane said it is no big deal. I've flown a lot while 350+ lbs, including extensive international trips, and pretty much all the flight attendants around the world have been extremely discrete and kind about it. And I have never had a passenger say anything.

It is also helpful to be on the aisle, as it makes it even easier to be discrete.

Well....how far away was the buckle from closing before and how many inches have you lost around the middle so far? Bit of quick maths?

Well....how far away was the buckle from closing before and how many inches have you lost around the middle so far? Bit of quick maths?

It was pretty close just missed it. I could actually buckle it but it would pop open though. I don't measure myself but everything that was tight on me before is now really loose. I guess it would.help to measure myself. I know at my heaviest I fit into the Spirit airlines BIG seats so I could do some math from there.

8 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

It was pretty close just missed it

Then now it'll certainly close, with the substantial amount of weight you've lost since. Breath easy, you're good.

Then now it'll certainly close, with the substantial amount of weight you've lost since. Breath easy, you're good.

Really hoping sooo. I don't know why but the thought of asking for an extender scares the crap out of me. I feel so ashamed mostly. I remember being like frozen in place when it didn't buckle last time. Even if I wanted to ask I was in total fight or flight mode and couldn't.

i have always seen overweight people ask for a extender from the flight attendant. For me personally being this big those coach seats are horrible and i am in pain being squished so i only fly first class. cant wait to loose weight and be happy flying coach

Same :( I have to take an international flight next month and the tickets are over 1000 because im too scared to fly coach. I'm still big and tall and just too ashamed to ask for an extender. So looking forward to being a normal size so I dont have to deal with this anymore.

22 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Same :( I have to take an international flight next month and the tickets are over 1000 because im too scared to fly coach. I'm still big and tall and just too ashamed to ask for an extender. So looking forward to being a normal size so I dont have to deal with this anymore.

I understand being embarrassed asking for the extender. Luckily you dont have to. you can buy extenders on Amazon

This one fits all airlines except southwest. https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-7-31-Airplane-Seat-Extender/dp/B08798Z7C1

the times I was under 300 lbs (like around 285), I didn't need an extender in regular-sized planes. I did on those little commuter flights, though. If the belt doesn't fit, just ask one of the flight attendants for an extender. They probably get at least one of those requests on every flight.

I have to fly Southwest in July and at 300 lbs I know for a fact the seatbelt won’t fit. It didn’t fit me in 2020 when I flew with them and I was around 275 at that time. This time I am buying a seatbelt extender off of Amazon. Just make sure you find one that fits for Southwest. I was finding a lot that didn’t. I’ll see if I can find the link to the one I was looking at.

13 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

I understand being embarrassed asking for the extender. Luckily you dont have to. you can buy extenders on Amazon

This one fits all airlines except southwest. https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-7-31-Airplane-Seat-Extender/dp/B08798Z7C1

Seconding this! I was way too embarrassed to have to ask for an extender. Once I found out I could bring my own, flying was much less stressful. (But even better now that I don’t need one!)

Omg THANK GOODNESS it fits with ROOM 20220421_091224.jpg

Yay. NSV!!