Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG and constipation

Honestly the Constipation was more painful for me than the surgery itself. I had to see a doctor because I thought I was dying (swear it) but since incorporating fruits with Fiber (especially apples) and green veggies, it hasn't been as bad as before.

I've found it to be an issue again when I slack on veggies and Water. My nurse recommended Smooth Move tea but I haven't tried it yet.

Hang in there!

On 5/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, Crisscat said:

I was/am taking Colace twice per day and a probiotic. I was having trouble at first getting all my fluids in each day (my surgery was May 3rd). By day 6 post op I was unable to drink the commercial Protein Shakes because they made me gag horribly and I still had not had a BM. I took matters into my own hands and I got some whey isolate zero sugar creamy vanilla Protein Powder and some unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I started making my own smoothies and adding the Protein powder to them. I also started adding more Fiber in the smoothies. I first used ground flaxseed, baby spinach and finally pitted prunes. I blended prunes for I think a day and a half worth of smoothies. I finally had a BM by the 2nd day after incorporating the prunes in the smoothie and even tho I was and still am taking a stool softener I didnt see that it was much help as the BM was horrible to pass for me. I did tell my Dr about not being able to have a BM and she suggested Miralax but I had already incorporated pitted prunes. The prunes is what did it for me nothing else seemed to work.

That’s cool- I haven’t had such luck. It builds painfully then I eliminate something, and will still have gas n bloating but will have Armageddon aka Rapture the next day, like I’m in hell and it’s a horrible time except I feel brand new an hour or later. I will actually feel high/buzzed in the aftermath like I’ve been drugged. I call it brutal however I’m so thankful it happened!
🙏🙏.

Then I’m okay for a couple days, then the cycle starts again. The Water definitely helps.

I did Kaiser Transform 6 years ago and it started during that. Similar nutrition.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:21 PM, SoCalEm said:

Honestly the constipation was more painful for me than the surgery itself. I had to see a doctor because I thought I was dying (swear it) but since incorporating fruits with Fiber (especially apples) and green veggies, it hasn't been as bad as before.

I've found it to be an issue again when I slack on veggies and Water. My nurse recommended Smooth Move tea but I haven't tried it yet.

Hang in there!

Thanks the Water definitely is key for me as well- I read the replies and was freaking out and made it a point to really focus on water. And water down the Protein Drinks, eat Jello. But I do appreciate the interaction and it helps me substantially. I’m finishing Armageddon now and experiencing a trippy euphoria. It’s nuts.

I had sleeve on 05/06/22 and Constipation was my biggest issue post-op. I was on prescribed stool softener, took milk of magnesia, and still ended up needing to take a suppository to get my first bowel movement post-op. Since then, it's still been a bit of an issue but I added in Kirkland brand fiber just a few days ago to help overall. The suppository was an absolute lifesaver for me!

Team Miralax here, one cap a day. Usually after work so I can go in the morning the next day. If I still feel a lot of bloating or gas on the left side I’ll do milk of magnesia, but that stuff makes me gag so bad.

Remember at the beginning you’re not eating much so you really don’t have much to poop out as waste so not going every day is ok. I used to go every second day for the about first 3 months. When you start to eat more, some vegetables, fruit & a little fibre from good carbs, will help you go more regularly. Keep your Fluid intake up too.

Adding a non swelling fibre supplement like Benefibre, etc. to your diet everyday will help. I only took a stool softener if I reached a third day without any movement. This stopped me getting too bound up & experiencing discomfort. I didn’t take them any more frequently because I didn’t want my body to become reliant of an artificial stimulant to make me poop.

Unfortunately, it can be something you will continue to experience the odd occurrence of into the future too.

On 04/19/2022 at 23:10, carolinac413 said:

I know constipation is a problem after surgery. What did you guys do to help with this?

Eat two to three fresh kiwi 🥝 every day you will have no more Constipation problems . It may take a few days at first but it works naturally n it tastes good.

I came here and typed in Constipation because omg! I wish I had known constipation was common for sleeve patients ahead of time so I could have started something like Metamucil before it got this bad.

! I have already had issues with hemorrhoids in the past and I swear, birthing this poo that is up inside me is more painful than it was pushing out a 9lb 1oz baby! After breaking out into a dang sweat this morning in the bathroom at work, I went to Walmart and got some generic magnesium stuff. I took half a magnesium tablet to see if that would help and nothing. By the time I got home, and took Milk of Magnesium, and sat for nearly 30 minutes (doing the whole knees above your waist with a stool), still nothing but some gas and screaming pain. I ended up popping in some hemorrhoid cream because I saw it had glycerin in it so I'm praying to the poop gods that it works because this sucks! I don't want to go back to the running to the bathroom, afraid I won't be able to hold it, lifestyle again but I definitely don't want this either. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my bum if I strain or let that rock come out without some sort of intervention (hopefully this cream stuff with glycerin will be that).

I'm thinking about trying some colace too but have to go see if I can take it after taking milk of magnesium. Ugh. All of the amazing-ness of having this surgery is wonderful but this... This sucks! Lol!

I put a 1/2 scoop of Miralax powder in with my morning coffee and it works perfectly.

Hopefully the OP has worked this out by now but I will add for others. I took colace every day post surgery but I still got constipated so I took milk of magnesia once to get things moving and then started benefiber daily to keep them going. Walmart had a generic powder of benefiber that worked just fine for me and is much cheaper and I just needed a spoonful each morning in my crystal light until I got up to about a full serving size of food and then I was able to wean off of it. Some people do need it indefinitely though.

I had super bad Constipation with my sleeve back in 2018! I had three horrible hemorrhoids! and yes like others said its worse than having the actual surgery. I would wake up and scream at my fiance that I needed to go to the ER, but he would tell me to relax and put cream on for me. I went to a rectal doctor once and they prescribed me pain medication and told me the next day the inflammation should go down and that I had a chance of it coming back which it did. calcium chews is what made me constipated. I switched to pills.

I keep the Constipation at bat with Miralax. I sure notice when I’ve skipped it a couple days in a row.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, KCgirl061 said:

I keep the constipation at bat with Miralax. I sure notice when I’ve skipped it a couple days in a row.

Miralax has become a daily part (one packet a day in my first Yeti rambler bottle of fluids) of my routine. Especially after talking to my surgeon and him telling me that it is one of the one best options in terms of avoiding Constipation that is also incredibly safe and effective while not being addictive like Colace and Milk of Magnesium. It's a life saver after the bought I had a couple of weeks ago.

I also stopped taking my Calcium supplements for now and have had no problems since. Just need to figure out how to get enough calcium now since I believe those contributed to the painful experience I had.