Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG and constipation

I know Constipation is a problem after surgery. What did you guys do to help with this?

I was told by people local to where I live to get either one of these items but I will have to check with my program to make sure its allowed

72219d9a-29b2-441b-ae5d-61ac2c7f0ba9.0e9030b95e5b4e535e31daa85d99eeca.jpeg

40ab2ef8-c4ea-44c1-af0b-cd393bd54c3f.25f2915948a769d009cd57ae33d22249.jpeg

Edited by Crisscat

it's very common with both sleeve and bypass people. It has to do with the high Protein diet and some of the supplements (mainly Iron and calcium). A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day to stay on top of it. Others take Colace, magnesium tablets, drink Smoothmove tea, or eat a few prunes. Whatever it takes to keep on top of it..

i had surgery on Monday for sleeve. was sent home yesterday with a bunch of meds. one included a stool softener.

Constipation is a huge concern of mine. I have had it twice since surgery (I am 6 weeks post op). I take Miralax once a day and regular Colace (stool softner) once a day. Both bouts of constipation occurred when I forgot to take the Miralax 2 days in a row. I have now set a reminder in my Baritastic app so I don't forget.

Miralax every other day keeps things moving along

I find Miralax or lots of coffee works best for me. If I have a real issue that these don't solve (recently I had to take narcotics after a dental surgery) I will use a glycerin suppository. I haven't found stool softeners to do anything.

Is it safe to take milk of magnesia and colace together?

8 minutes ago, carolinac413 said:

Is it safe to take milk of magnesia and colace together?

You should ask your doctor/surgical center. We aren't medical providers and we don't know anything about your medical conditions, history, or other medications.

Has anyone tried this brand? If so, is it any good?

Phillips' Colon Health Probiotic One Daily Capsules, 30 count

11 hours ago, Crisscat said:

Has anyone tried this brand? If so, is it any good?

Phillips' Colon Health Probiotic One Daily Capsules, 30 count

This is not a laxative. It's a pro-biotic. There's not a ton of evidence for their use in general, and I haven't seen any studies for their use after WLS. Also, I've read several times that if it's shelf stable, it's basically garbage - apparently "real" Probiotics have to be kept refrigerated. But maybe it would work for you?

Edited by lizonaplane

When did y'all start taking something for the Constipation after surgery. I'm on day 2 post surgery. I'm just curious to how soon I need to start taking something to get things moving.

I had my gastric sleeve on 4/14, definitely constipated and was taking the Dulc tablets and aloe capsules, now I've added colace, and have done some Metamucil - a little bit - haven't found anyone saying no during my first month out - I haven't done THE DEED in idk feels like weeks, it's probably a week. I was losing consistently down 34, now I'm up 3 lbs, I've enema'd, I'm eating, drinking plenty of Protein Drinks (the problem) and now working on as much Water as I can - I need to put a count on it, just read 96 oz - how does anyone get that much in - without a straw.

i really worked on supplements and enough Protein - God I'm hoping water gets me 'Eliminating Again' - it's painful, I feel the rumbling and then gas. We're all in this, I don't want to hear details but this is a serious topic - I'm worried. Had issues in the past with high protein diets.

HAS ANYONE HAD TO GO EXTREME with Getting a Doctor or something - I'm thinking colonic therapy - I'm taking everything. And Miralax takes water in your system to help push it out - that's why you're cramping - it causes the muscles to flex and push.

10 minutes ago, Coolsf said:

i really worked on supplements and enough Protein - God I'm hoping Water gets me 'Eliminating Again' - it's painful, I feel the rumbling and then gas. We're all in this, I don't want to hear details but this is a serious topic - I'm worried. Had issues in the past with high Protein diets.

I was/am taking Colace twice per day and a probiotic. I was having trouble at first getting all my fluids in each day (my surgery was May 3rd). By day 6 post op I was unable to drink the commercial Protein Shakes because they made me gag horribly and I still had not had a BM. I took matters into my own hands and I got some whey isolate zero sugar creamy vanilla Protein Powder and some unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I started making my own smoothies and adding the protein powder to them. I also started adding more fiber in the smoothies. I first used ground flaxseed, baby spinach and finally pitted prunes. I blended prunes for I think a day and a half worth of smoothies. I finally had a BM by the 2nd day after incorporating the prunes in the smoothie and even tho I was and still am taking a stool softener I didnt see that it was much help as the BM was horrible to pass for me. I did tell my Dr about not being able to have a BM and she suggested Miralax but I had already incorporated pitted prunes. The prunes is what did it for me nothing else seemed to work.