Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping Upright Post Op

I have not had my surgery as of yet, its May 3rd but I was wondering about sleeping in an upright position post op. I had heard a few ppl say they had to sleep upright to keep the heartburn at bay. One person said she slept in an upright position for 3 months post op to cut the awful heartburn she was having. She said she never had GERD or any form of it before the surgery but afterwards she described it as liquid fire. She didnt say if she still has problems with this currently (its been over a year for her since her surgery).

Apparently GERD and acid issues are very common with the sleeve surgery.

I already have SEVERE GERD so my surgery urged against the sleeve for me and explained why bypass was my better option. I had Bypass 4 weeks ago and have had ZERO acid/GERD issues since.

I did have to sleep in a recliner for about a week and a half just because it was more comfortable with the incisions healing. Laying flat like it was pulling at everything too much and was too sore.

I slept upright in the hospital for two nights post-op but once I got home I slept on my side and have ever since, not propped up or anything and I don't have any trouble.

In the 18 months or so that I have been reading this forum, A few people have said they sleep in a lazy boy type chair but not many in the scheme of things. Some for reflux and some for the pain from the surgery and ease of getting up and about. I had to sleep propped up in bed because once I left hospital, it lasted 3 long weeks. I didn't get any anti nausea meds and struggled with acid reflux. It was compounded by the pandemic, lack of doctors in my area and Christmas/ new year. Once I had the meds in me things settled quickly and I could sleep lying down which was blissful. Try not to worry about things that may or may not happen to you. Take each day as it comes.

I had sleeve surgery 6 days ago. I sleep on my side with my bed slightly elevated. I haven’t had any GERD issues. I had severe GERD before my surgery for about six years. My surgeon asked me to continue taking Omeprazole for six weeks after surgery as a precautionary measure to protect my new stomach. I was very concerned when I read all the stories of patients suffering with GERD after surgery, but so far so good. Fingers crossed!

I slept laying down from the very beginning after getting my sleeve done and had no acid reflux issues immediately after surgery. My practice proactively prescribes medication to reduce acid for the first month.

Since surgery I have 2 acid reflux situations, but that didn't happen until I was on solid food again and getting more adventurous in my eating choices. In both cases it was because I ate right before going to bed, and with specific food choices/amounts. The second time I totally knew better but ignored my logical brain and went with a poor choice (eating a questionable snack when I knew I would be sleeping soon). Yeah, not making that mistake again.

I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone is different and many people with sleeve don't have any reflux issues.

I am a stomach sleeper and I had bypass. While I didn't experience GERD, I slept in a recliner for about 3 months post-surgery. It was the only way that I could sleep pain-free.

From day one post-op I was able to sleep flat on my back and sides.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:06 PM, kcuster83 said:

Apparently GERD and acid issues are very common with the sleeve surgery.

I already have SEVERE GERD so my surgery urged against the sleeve for me and explained why bypass was my better option. I had Bypass 4 weeks ago and have had ZERO acid/GERD issues since.

I did have to sleep in a recliner for about a week and a half just because it was more comfortable with the incisions healing. Laying flat like it was pulling at everything too much and was too sore.

This is exactly what I was told and was also advised to to the Bypass and not the sleeve. Thank you for the tip about the recliner.

Week 5 post op and last night was the first night I slept on my side and it was glorious. I didn’t sleep upright for GERD, it was the only way I could sleep without pain until last night

I have an adjustable bed and I slept with my head elevated. Not because of gerd it was just easier to get in and out of bed that way since I was already halfway up.

Edited by ShoppGirl