Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband removed hoping to have bypass

I had my band removed in sept 2021. I had it since 2006. my weight has been slowly creeping up and up, I am finding myself in same situation I was when I went forward with the band. I am in process of requesting consult with my surgeon. I am not even sure if she will. I just turned 63. not sure if my insurance will even consider. Has anyone has success with lapband to bypass??

tons of people in this group have gone from lapband to bypass with huge success..

Yes. Didn't lose any weight with the band at all. It was somewhere between troublesome and a non entity.

Yeah Band to Bypass revision soon for me. I mean I don't know your medical history, but your age alone is no reason not to consider revision. I've seen older folks here on this forum than you getting wls for the first time and even revision. If you're starting to regain, definitely pursue revision.

I'm a LapBand to RYN person!! Am I a success? Well, I'm 4 months out and down 60 pounds, so I think I'm doing okay! RNY just feels "better" to me than the LapBand. I'm frankly shocked that it is still on the market, but that is not the point of this thread. Talk to your doctor and move forward. It is the best decision I've made in a long time. Good luck and good health.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:42 AM, cindyn said:

I had my band removed in sept 2021. I had it since 2006. my weight has been slowly creeping up and up, I am finding myself in same situation I was when I went forward with the band. I am in process of requesting consult with my surgeon. I am not even sure if she will. I just turned 63. not sure if my insurance will even consider. Has anyone has success with lapband to bypass??

I went from the lapband to VSG to RNY. Revisions were mandatory due to serious side effects from the previous WLS. I wish I went straight to RNY but hindsight is 20/20, I guess. I was in the minority that got severe gerd from the VSG. I had my revision to RNY at 60+ years old, and it has been a great experience, both in feeling better physically and weight loss.

My insurance may be the stickler. They look at this as a complete revison. My band was removed 7 months ago!! I am still waiting for a consult. we shall see

I just finished my 3rd week after revision from LapBand to Gastric Bypass! I had mine done at the same time, tho. Like previous reply, this has seriously been the best decision. The band was torture, frequent vomiting even with NO fill, my band had slipped and the frequent vomiting maybe led to a hiatal hernia. And I regained every last pound of the 60# I lost with it. The bypass has been great, I started soft foods last week and so far so good. I've lost 25.4#!!

All the best to you!

Edited by RhanBandToBYPASS

My insurance will not cover revisions. I don't consider this a revision, I have been 7 months since my band was removed. I have had my PCP refer me..now we shall see. Hopeful at best

Hi I am a patient who on the very same day had my lap band removed after having it for about 15 years and then went straight into having the RNY done at the same exact time, So you were smart to have it taken out months before you go to possibly do this surgery, it was a major game changer from the band to the RNY but there's reasons and at 4 months post op I m actually glad I did it, but wasn't really feeling it in the beginning, I wish you well on this journey

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using BariatricPal mobile app

On 19th May 2022, I'll be having Revision Surgery from Lapband to RNY. I just started my Pre-Op Diet on 5th May. My journey has just begun and approaching the date ... as they say, to be continued :)

Hello! New here and so glad this forum exists. I will be having band to RNY on 5/18. Excited, nervous, and grateful. Best of luck and love on your journey!

I had to have my lapband removed in 2013 due to an abscess from having my band put back in place. Since then I gained all my weight back and an extra 45. Tried losing with weight watchers, then Keto and then with regular Portion Control. I lost weight on each, but never got passed 40 pounds. So, I'm calling to set up an appointment with my surgeon to hopefully get the rny going. Super nervous and good luck!

I had my lap band removed in 2016 after having it nearly 8 years. I had no fill and could barely eat. It didn't slip but I had to have my esophagus dilated a couple of times. The Dr that removed it wanted to do a conversion to sleeve a few months after but I thought I could keep the weight off. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and another chronic pain illness about the same time so it seriously hampered my ability to be active. I put all my 94 lbs lost back on. I also had a lot of scar tissue from the band which caused narrowing at the GE junction and poor esophageal clearing. My Dr wasn't sure he'd be able to do the bypass so I went into surgery not knowing if I was going to wake up with a new stomach. He did get it done but said it was very challenging. I'm so thankful that he was able to give me the bypass. I'm sorry I waited so many years to do it. I was afraid of the bypass. I'm 11 days PO.