Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 hours ago, Vivis said:

Okay, I have not thought of these "cheese curds" you mentioned. Were they good? I have boiled lots of Water and added seasoning like bouillon powder and cubs to add flavor. I'll have to google that or youtube it and see how it's done! I love the creativity!!!

Honestly it was accidental 😂 I just wanted to add unflavored Protein Powder to my broth but it basically turned into cheese curds because the Protein powder was whey based. If you like cheese curds you might like it.

15 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

I start my pre op diet on the 26th, and I have to say, I'm really nervous about it. More than even the surgery!! lol I bought a variety pack of Fairlife shakes, a variety pack of Premier shakes, a variety pack of Designer Wellness smoothies, and 2 different variety packs of Protein 2o Electrolyte flavored drinks. I am going to try some of these ideas for the broth because I already know I'm going to be sick of the sweet stuff lol I think I'll grab some beef broth and chicken broth and get some beef and chicken bouillon for them to make them more robust flavored. This is going to be so weird LOL

Hi girl! The 26th is my surgery date!!! AHHHH!!! Honestly -- I'm going to be honest with you. I was nervous about it too, and now that I'm in it -- I am quite unhappy. I'm miserable. That's me being honest. Prior to the diet, I was already on a diet and working out every day and losing weight. So I figured since I was showing my team I was making really good choices, that maybe somehow the all liquid diet could get shortened or changed. Nope. I need to find the Fairlife shakes, and the Protein2o waters too. Everyone talks about those.

My tips for the broths are these: Go to your nearest Target and order all of the "Good & Gather" broths. The tortilla, ramen, Tuscan and pho broths are already flavorful and I always add spices to it, especially the bouillon stuff. Makes them DELICIOUS. I also always boil mine so it's nice and warm and it brings me comfort.

To be super honest, the issue I'm having right now is with my digestive system. I've had digestive system issues for the past 2 years ever since I got COVID. And this all liquid diet is really aggrevating it all.

18 hours ago, Tina 2.0 said:

Vivis, the Clear Liquids is hard work. But staying in line with your doctor’s instructions is the foundation of the success you want for a lifetime. Congratulations on gathering ideas for the journey! I am on my post op clear. I like the Isopure Dark chocolate. 25 GM of Protein in a scoop, dissolves in a shaker cup of Water, does not leave grit on my teeth or an aftertaste. I also like the Bariatric Advantage strawberry and Orange Cream. Torani SF Syrup is ok. Gatorade zero is a must have! I bought packets on Amazon and saved a ton of cash and plastic waste. Tried Bone Broth for the first time. Game Changer!! Favorite brand was Fond because of all the different flavors. But it’s a lil expensive. I’m worth it!

Best of luck to you!

Tina

Hi Tina! It's really hard, and today I noticed my digestive system is NOT happy. I'm CONSTANTLY running to the bathroom. I'm very uncomfortable. I have internal fights with myself about this diet and how some are allowed to eat one meal and some are not allowed to eat anything. What's right? I know ultimately I need to follow my surgeon's instructions as unfortunate as they may be. I need to try more gatorades and electrolyte drinks. I will have to try packets since the bottles are pricey. Honestly, a lot of this stuff is super pricey.

51 minutes ago, Vivis said:

Hi girl! The 26th is my surgery date!!! AHHHH!!! Honestly -- I'm going to be honest with you. I was nervous about it too, and now that I'm in it -- I am quite unhappy. I'm miserable. That's me being honest. Prior to the diet, I was already on a diet and working out every day and losing weight. So I figured since I was showing my team I was making really good choices, that maybe somehow the all liquid diet could get shortened or changed. Nope. I need to find the Fairlife shakes, and the Protein2o waters too. Everyone talks about those.

My tips for the broths are these: Go to your nearest Target and order all of the "Good & Gather" broths. The tortilla, ramen, Tuscan and pho broths are already flavorful and I always add spices to it, especially the bouillon stuff. Makes them DELICIOUS. I also always boil mine so it's nice and warm and it brings me comfort.

To be super honest, the issue I'm having right now is with my digestive system. I've had digestive system issues for the past 2 years ever since I got COVID. And this all liquid diet is really aggrevating it all.

Hi Tina! It's really hard, and today I noticed my digestive system is NOT happy. I'm CONSTANTLY running to the bathroom. I'm very uncomfortable. I have internal fights with myself about this diet and how some are allowed to eat one meal and some are not allowed to eat anything. What's right? I know ultimately I need to follow my surgeon's instructions as unfortunate as they may be. I need to try more gatorades and electrolyte drinks. I will have to try packets since the bottles are pricey. Honestly, a lot of this stuff is super pricey.

Vivas,

Stay the course sis! All of our doctors have different protocols. I am doing a 2 Wk clear post op. I see others on purée by now. I will tell you my surgery was a revision. I wish I could turn back the clock and follow my doctors instructions to the T. Over the last 23 yr I managed to regain all my wt loss. My current dietitian asked if I was driving an expensive luxury car if I would use the cheapest gas to fuel it. Wow! I would not put sugar in that tank!! Yes there are cost associated with the pre and post. I am trying to cut costs as I go ie the Gatorade packets vs the bottles. We have to recognize our worth to make the changes we need to become and remain healthy. Every sacrifice will be worth it. The rewards around the corner are amazing! Enjoy the journey it is as important as the destination.

Tina 2.0

V,

Regarding the digestive issues; try to drink more plain Water. The sugar free stuff might be the culprit . If you don’t like plain water you can make an infusion using any nbr fruits like lemons, limes, mint, cucumber for a lil flavor. If you are have on going loose stools talk to your doctor about Imodium to slow things down. Try eliminating one or two SF choices. If that doesn’t slow things down then read the label on your Protein Drinks. See if there is anything that could upset your gut.The pre op is meant to clear us out, shrink the liver, and reduce inflammation.

Be Well,

Tina 2.0 (RN BSN)

1 hour ago, Tina 2.0 said:

Vivas,

Stay the course sis! All of our doctors have different protocols. I am doing a 2 Wk clear post op. I see others on purée by now. I will tell you my surgery was a revision. I wish I could turn back the clock and follow my doctors instructions to the T. Over the last 23 yr I managed to regain all my wt loss. My current dietitian asked if I was driving an expensive luxury car if I would use the cheapest gas to fuel it. Wow! I would not put sugar in that tank!! Yes there are cost associated with the pre and post. I am trying to cut costs as I go ie the Gatorade packets vs the bottles. We have to recognize our worth to make the changes we need to become and remain healthy. Every sacrifice will be worth it. The rewards around the corner are amazing! Enjoy the journey it is as important as the destination.

Tina 2.0

That was beautifully written. I'm going to re-read this anytime I'm having a hard time. Thank you for sharing such kind thoughts and words with me.

Did you regain weight after a first initial surgery? I had naturally lost 100+ lbs about 9 years ago and with time, I regained it all. This surgery is my second attempt at losing 100+ lbs.

53 minutes ago, Tina 2.0 said:

V,

Regarding the digestive issues; try to drink more plain Water. The sugar free stuff might be the culprit . If you don’t like plain Water you can make an infusion using any nbr fruits like lemons, limes, mint, cucumber for a lil flavor. If you are have on going loose stools talk to your doctor about Imodium to slow things down. Try eliminating one or two SF choices. If that doesn’t slow things down then read the label on your Protein Drinks. See if there is anything that could upset your gut.The pre op is meant to clear us out, shrink the liver, and reduce inflammation.

Be Well,

Tina 2.0 (RN BSN)

Hi Tina!

I've never had an issue with sugar free gelatins or liquids. Those are staples of my diet and have been for years. What I was suspecting was causing this was all the almond milk and all the yogurt. I normally don't eat that. And I LOVE cottage cheese and eat it regularly even before this diet, but just last week my GI doctor said he suspected I may be somewhat allergic to cottage cheese, milks and yogurts. So I'm torn between following this pre-op diet that is sooo limited but some of the little liquids I'm allowed to have may be causing issues...but I'm not a surgeon and I can't just dictate what's best for me in order to undergo this surgery. I actually just got imodium per my GI's recommendation. I should take that right now! Thank you for the idea, I hadn't thought of it.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

@Vivis I know both my sister (she has gi issues) and myself (no gi issues) both had looser stools on the pre-op diet as it’s mostly liquids and no real Fiber. It only lasted a couple of days for me and about a week for her. Hopefully it gets better for you!

Hi V!

Glad you were seen by your GI doc. Perhaps some coconut Water or milk for a gentle replenish of electrolytes. Some Pro biotic, Yakult or a supplement. There really is more to gain from compliance than there is that we lose in the temporary limitations.

Yes I re gained 100% of my wt loss from a RNY 23 yr ago.. I followed everything the first year or two, then over time started snacking, having one more bite, a cpl cocktails, sparkling water and so on. I normalized the incremental weight gain and then it just all got to overwhelming to get off. I was eating everything just like everyone around me was eating. I went through several hoops over the last few years to get my revision. I wanted a surgeon with experience because my first RNY was open so I have a ton of scar tissue. I put aside cocktails years ago. Just a bad habit and empty calories. But changing my comfort foods, grazing, and sugar has been a struggle. The last 6mo have been a Re commitment to myself. The last 3 I have been completely off the grazing behavior, no more carbonated water, sugar very limited. Now I just need to push through to Tue to my Post Op where my diet will be advanced.

Be Well!

Tina

V,

If you are sensitive to the cottage cheese and yogurt please pause the use of the Whey Protein Powder. They are all the same protein type. You can research Pea Protein, Egg Protein, Vegan. I’m sure your dietitian or doctor gave you a list of preferred brands. Whey Isolates are easily absorbed so they normally top the lists. Look for a low carb alternative. Just buy samples until you find the right one for you. Re-reading the post about the cottage cheese and yogurt was the red flag for my nurse brain. Hope this helps!

T

I am in the minority in that I despise Fairlife shakes. There's a taste in there that I cannot identify and my brain won't let me swallow it.

One tip I have is do NOT buy a ton of ANYTHING because you think you'll want it after surgery. I lived on Bone Broth with cayenne and fresh-squeezed lemon for my pre-op diet (2 weeks). I had several boxes of it left over after the surgery and the mere *thought* of it post-surgery truly made me gag. Luckily for me, my neighbors are big cooks and happily accepted my offer of the bone broth.

The Protein Shake that I've loved for years is made by Click. They're coffee-flavored. I know that they used to have a Decaf version, but I can't seem to find it on their site now. You can have it hot or cold, even blended with ice to make a shake. You can mix it with Water or milk, but the slight saltiness of coconut water as the liquid is suberb. They offer a 3-pack sampler with free shipping. NO, I have nothing to do with the company - I'm just a fan. :)

Totally agree with a few of the suggestions in here- broth Soups are vital to get some “savory” in as well. Minute miso and V8 were my friends, and I couldn’t find as many broth based soups as I wanted so I got a little hand held strainer and made my own. That hand held strainer was a godsend for post op as well. I just gave it away to a friend who had surgery last week- felt like passing the baton. 😂

sugar free popsicles helped as well. The “two good” yogurt was good as well. And finally I tried to stay busy after work! Distracted myself with going shopping, home projects, taking kids to the park, etc. anything to avoid sitting around and craving food.

1 minute ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

Totally agree with a few of the suggestions in here- broth Soups are vital to get some “savory” in as well. Minute miso and V8 were my friends, and I couldn’t find as many broth based Soups as I wanted so I got a little hand held strainer and made my own. That hand held strainer was a godsend for post op as well. I just gave it away to a friend who had surgery last week- felt like passing the baton. 😂

sugar free popsicles helped as well. The “two good” yogurt was good as well. And finally I tried to stay busy after work! Distracted myself with going shopping, home projects, taking kids to the park, etc. anything to avoid sitting around and craving food.

I wish I was allowed to drink V8. I will say I love the broths. I'm a huge fan of the store bought ones but I add my own flavoring through spices. I do need to get a strainer LOL. Popsicles are good too.

But nothing is filling. I keep myself busy, but I can only do it for so long before diarrhea kicks in. I feel safer at home, as sad as it is, because I can run to my own bathroom and basically die in there.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:49 PM, Vivis said:

My all liquid pre-op diet started today. I'm allowed:

ANY ADVICE/HELP IS GREATLY APPRECAITED! I feel like I can succeed, but I've always known THIS would be the hardest part of my journey.

My all liquid diet starts tomorrow! Mine appears to to be even more restrictive than yours (I will put an * by what my liquid diet consists of).

Needless to say, I am not looking forward to this ha!

Congratulations on reaching your surgery dates , Your all lucky when I had mine in August 2021 I had the milk liver shrinking diet 3 pints of semi skimmed milk and 2 50grm pots of yoghurt but could drink tea and coffee with milk that was bonus go to pintrestand type in biatric liver shrinking foods and the different stages after your op and how to make broths theirs loads of stuff on there that will help you and recipes good luck not to long now and after you'll not feel like eating for a bit anyway just make sure you drink fluids

Don't stock up too much before surgery; I did, and found that after surgery I couldn't stand the same drinks I chugged before! Ended up giving 3 12-packs away. Also-Ramen broth (of course, don't eat the noodles) was on my list of pre-op, and for some reason, it really, really helped.