Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass and hiatal hernia repair 27th april



Recommended Posts

Hi all!

I just joined this a forum a cpl of days ago and so glad I did 😊I'm due for a gastric bypass and hiatus hernia repair on the 27th of April. Im on the 3 shakes a day and 2 cups of low starch vegetables diet atm. Currently 220lbs I've managed to lose 20lbs in 4 months prior to this liquid diet, Im glad I did as I have another 77lbs to go after the surgery, hope it is all worth the wait! I'm reading a lot of good advice and great information which I didn't know before I joined and I'm really enjoying sharing with others's ideas and experiences who are in simular situation as myself.

Wishing everyone best of luck 👍🙏😊❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi & welcome.
I sorta had a Hiatal hernia repair when I had my bypass 4 years ago.
I had a fundolipacation 15 years ago to repair the hernia. That lasted about 8 years & is slowly failed.
I had the bypass to repair all of that.
I have lost 65-70lbs depending on the day😸

Good luck with your surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, toodlerue said:

Hi & welcome.
I sorta had a Hiatal hernia repair when I had my bypass 4 years ago.
I had a fundolipacation 15 years ago to repair the hernia. That lasted about 8 years & is slowly failed.
I had the bypass to repair all of that.
I have lost 65-70lbs depending on the day😸

Good luck with your surgery.

Hi thanks for that 😊

I was told that once you lose the weight the hernia will go away but if you gain it back it will come back, I was weighing 240 lbs in December I now weigh 214 Ibs, have managed to lose some by cutting down on my portion size carbs and sugar prior to surgery and hoping that the hernia will not come back as I've been advised by the doctors, I have another 70 lb to lose🤞🤞🤞

Edited by Merill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a gastric sleeve surgery 9/2012.

this year I have had horrific GERD. After the endoscope and swallow test ,they found the gastrointestinal hiatal hernia. The swallow test showed the hernia and severe GERD with divertculum on the stomach wall.
I have a manometry test next week but my dr agrees that I need hernia repair and revision surgery June 16 is my surgery date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, katherinep said:

I had a gastric sleeve surgery 9/2012.

this year I have had horrific GERD. After the endoscope and swallow test ,they found the gastrointestinal hiatal hernia. The swallow test showed the hernia and severe GERD with divertculum on the stomach wall.
I have a manometry test next week but my dr agrees that I need hernia repair and revision surgery June 16 is my surgery date.

Hi,

thats really interesting, as far as the doctors are saying, is the hiatus hernia is caused by weight gain and when its repaired you need to lose the weight as well or it just comes back! As I've been struggling with a hiatal hernia for years and finally they're going to repair it, now I'm baffled😳😕

Well all the best to you hope your surgery fixes that problem🙏

Edited by Merill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had gastric bypass on March 3 with a hiatal hernia repair. I knew I had heartburn issues for a long time but didn't realize until my pre op testing that it was due to a hiatal hernia. They had called it small but when my surgeon was in there doing my bypass she said it was quite large and took a long time to fix it. My stomach fundus got slightly damaged during the hernia fix so they removed a portion of it which is fine with me...less gherlin producing cells in my body. I have had no issues with GERD since surgery. I am so happy to NOT wake up in the middle of the night with stomach acid in my mouth!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am having an endoscopy the day before my surgery and I am pretty sure I have a hiatal hernia as I have all the signs. They will repair the hernia at the same time they do the bypass. Not looking forward to the recovery from that, since I have to fly home 4 days after the surgery.

Edited by sparkly_keeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sparkly_keeks said:

I am having an endoscopy the day before my surgery and I am pretty sure I have a hiatal hernia as I have all the signs. They will repair the hernia at the same time they do the bypass. Not looking forward to the recovery from that, since I have to fly home 4 days after the surgery.

Oh my 😕

4 days is very limited but chin-up and just pray that all goes well and there's no complications. My surgery is on the 16th of May, I too will be getting a hiatal hernia repair and gastric bypass, I've had my hernia for years. Can't wait to get it repaired finally! But I think you should be ok with 4 days of recovery as long as there's no other complications just make sure that you do light core exercises and lots of walking prior to surgery, that will speed up your recovery (as I heard from people who have had it)

And good luck with your surgery hope all goes well for you Sparkly🙏👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×