Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm hoping to hear from anyone with a high BMI that got the sleeve and had a lot of success. My current BMI is 63. My goal weight is 200 pounds, which means I need to lose 190 pounds. For various reasons I chose the sleeve over the bypass, and I know bypass patients lose more than sleeve patients do. BUT...I have no issues following the diet, and once I lose some weight I will start working out again (I did Keto and lost almost 100 pounds over 7 months, but then it just started creeping back up and no matter how much I restricted my carbs and worked out, I couldn't keep the weight down and I got frustrated and quit), but I worry that I won't be able to hit my goal even if I stick to the diet and work out. I have MS, so strengthening my muscles and losing the weight is a must to keep my mobility and reduce the pain. I also desperately want to get rid of my diabetes and high blood pressure. And I'm hoping losing the weight will help my asthma a little. BUT... is this possible with the sleeve? I'm so excited about the surgery, but is it really possible to lose that kind of weight with the sleeve? Has ANYONE on here done it, or even come close? This just has to work. I wasn't always overweight. I used to be a size 6, but when I had my son back in 98, my PCOS jump started and I put on close to 100 pounds and only lost maybe 25. No matter what i did, I couldn't lose it. Then I had my daughter and gained close to the same amount, and was never able to lose any of it. Then I did keto, succeeded for a while, then it failed and I gave up. And now here I am. Do I have any hope at all of hitting my goal weight?

So my starting BMI was almost 49, and I had 175 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I picked the sleeve because I liked how “simple” the concept was, and I knew people who had gotten it and had good results.

I did end up losing all my weight and I’m at a 23 bmi today.

Honesty either surgery will help- I feel like I went into this determined to get to my goal weight, and ready to make sacrifices. I feel like I see two different attitudes in the first 6 months post op- some people who are trying to use their sleeve to get the weight loss they need and make the lifestyle changes they know they need to embrace long term. Others are trying to see how they can work around the sleeve to get back to the way they used to live, and how they want to eat.

I’m the end it’s up to you. I won’t pretend I could have gotten here without the sleeve- it gave me the restriction I needed and the reset to get back to where I should be. But I also couldn’t have gotten here without my own work and determination. You can lose this extra weight- it will just take longer and require a bit more perseverance than the people on the forum looking to lose 50 or 75 lbs.

28 minutes ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

So my starting BMI was almost 49, and I had 175 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I picked the sleeve because I liked how “simple” the concept was, and I knew people who had gotten it and had good results.

I did end up losing all my weight and I’m at a 23 bmi today.

Honesty either surgery will help- I feel like I went into this determined to get to my goal weight, and ready to make sacrifices. I feel like I see two different attitudes in the first 6 months post op- some people who are trying to use their sleeve to get the weight loss they need and make the lifestyle changes they know they need to embrace long term. Others are trying to see how they can work around the sleeve to get back to the way they used to live, and how they want to eat.

I’m the end it’s up to you. I won’t pretend I could have gotten here without the sleeve- it gave me the restriction I needed and the reset to get back to where I should be. But I also couldn’t have gotten here without my own work and determination. You can lose this extra weight- it will just take longer and require a bit more perseverance than the people on the forum looking to lose 50 or 75 lbs.

Thanks so much!!! I am as ready and excited and determined as a person can be. But I get these looks when I say my goal is to lose 190 pounds with the sleeve. Like I made the wrong choice but they don't have the heart to tell me. I know I can do the work, I just wanted reassurance that I didn't choose the wrong tool to help me.

I have to lose a lot as well, like 180lbs. I was and still kinda am thinking the same thing. Like how can I do this with the sleeve. The other poster said some truth about making the permanent sacrifices. That is what I am etching into my brain now. I’m 6 weeks out. My body needs to eat healthy to be at its best I’m finding out. So I have to explore various ways to eat healthy but delicious food and exercise. I’m going to incorporate self care days of massages, foot spas, meditation, journaling and other activities.

Trust me people have all sorts of opinions about what other people should do. Don’t get weight loss surgery, they knew someone who did and didn’t lose any weight. Don’t get this specific type of surgery, don’t expect to lose all the weight, etc etc.

Weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit. Surgery helps us eat at this deficit by providing a physical restriction. Literally the only difference between losing 80 lbs and 180 lbs is eating at that deficit for longer. You can do it, just stay patient and keep the course!

35 minutes ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

Trust me people have all sorts of opinions about what other people should do. Don’t get weight loss surgery, they knew someone who did and didn’t lose any weight. Don’t get this specific type of surgery, don’t expect to lose all the weight, etc etc.

Weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit. Surgery helps us eat at this deficit by providing a physical restriction. Literally the only difference between losing 80 lbs and 180 lbs is eating at that deficit for longer. You can do it, just stay patient and keep the course!

Thanks!! I see you lost 174 pounds. That's only 16 less than I want to lose, so that helps inspire me that it can be done :)

I got the sleeve, and to get where I fantasize about being (top of healthy BMI range), I'll have to lose 225 lbs. That is a crazy large number, and I have debated whether bypass or another surgery might have been a better choice. But, I remember what one surgeon I consulted with told me early on: "It's a tool. It doesn't do the work for you" and that helps me a lot. He reminded me that plenty of people are really successful with both surgeries, and that many people also fail with both surgeries. They are not magic bullets.

Moreover, you have to be comfortable with the physical change you are making to your body. Initially, I wanted sleeve but let everything I read convince me that was a bad choice to maximize weight loss. I was going to do bypass, but I was never happy with that decision. The surgeon above really forced me to rethink why I was going the bypass route and once I thought about it, I knew sleeve was right for me so long as my endoscopy didn't preclude it. After I made that switch, I was just so at peace with my decision (at least until the pre-surgery jitters came up right before surgery!)

I also realize I may not get to where I would like to get to, and that is also okay. I have an "ultimate goal" in mind, but I've also set some interim goals that would result in much improved health outcomes, and will be moments for me to reassess where I am and whether I want to try and keep going. I also don't want to be constantly fighting to maintain a certain weight, if another weight still provides health and appearance benefits without that constant battle I may decide to stay there. Basically, I want to find a weight where I can be at peace with my body while also taking better care of it.

For myself I chose to do the sleeve over bypass. Mainly because I have 3 co workers who have had bypass, 2 males and 1 female. The 2 males are gaining their weight back they lost. They eat and drink pretty much what they want and are overeating again, They both went from a 4XL to XL and Im pretty sure they are both back in to a 2XL now 2 yrs post bypass. The one female coworker has had horrible Hair loss (I guess I should say thinning hair) she is early 30s and has had back to back babies after her bypass. I do not believe she is back to her pre bypass weight but shes probably put 50-60 lbs back on. She just had a 3rd baby not long ago and has already scheduled to have her bypass redone or relooked at (honestly Im not sure what they do when you put alot of your weight back on) any way she has something scheduled for Nov 2022.

I have another co worker who had a sleeve. She has done exceptionally well, she's lost 95-105 lbs since March of last year. Im not sure she is at her goal weight but she may be. The only thing she complained about was being hydrated enough. I guess she just couldnt get her fluids in and she battled being dehydrated alot.

I know both surgery's are tools and if you dont stick to it then the above scenario's can happen. I felt the sleeve could be the best option for me. I am satisfied with my decision and am currently pending surgery in about 3 weeks. I am alittle uneasy, nervous and maybe even alittle scared but I know thats my food addict self trying to talk me out of this decision. Im holding firm and I believe I can get through it God willing, with little to no complications or problems. In the long run I know this is the best for my health. I have kids I need to be here for....so I have to succeed!