Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anybody know what the "expected weight loss percentage" is for immediately after surgery and how the weight loss curves. I guess I'm trying to set up my predictable timeline. For example, it's been 2 weeks since surgery. I lost 10.4 lbs. That is 5.36%

My nutritionist said my expected weight loss is 50-60 lbs in 6 months based on my metabolic test and a 600 Kcal/day diet. My resting energy expenditure test reported that I am using 16556vKcal/day.

I saw another physician video stating that the curve is greatest in the first 3 months. Then the next 9 months you would expect to lose the same amount as you lost in the first 3 months.

Simply, I want to track my weight loss and measure against something scientifically predicted based on those who have had bariatric surgery. Do you guys know of any calculator/program like that?

There are calculators but your body won't know that Kelly! They're based on averages and most people don't stick to those. If you're looking for a ballpark my surgeon said that people lose an average of 60-70% of their *excess* body weight in two years. That's not to say all people though - some do (much) better some do (much) worse. I'm a bit control freaky too so I have had a hard time not being able to predict what will happen from one week or month to the next. But I have learned to trust my sleeve - it's working really well for me. Your body will already have a new set point in mind and once you get there that's it - I believe we either accept that or we fight tooth and nail to lose more to get to OUR ideal (not our BODY'S new ideal) and then fight forever to stay there. And most of us have spent a good part of our lives fighting the same fight and losing.

I hope you do really well with your sleeve - you're already doing brilliantly. Stick to the rules and you will lose, there's no way on this earth that you won't. And if you stick to the rules for a long time you will get to your new set weight. How much you will lose and how fast is, unfortunately for you and me, pretty much impossible to say.

I should say too that 600 calories a day sounds really little to me - is that until you get where you want to be or just for the first few weeks?

49 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

There are calculators but your body won't know that Kelly! They're based on averages and most people don't stick to those. If you're looking for a ballpark my surgeon said that people lose an average of 60-70% of their *excess* body weight in two years. That's not to say all people though - some do (much) better some do (much) worse. I'm a bit control freaky too so I have had a hard time not being able to predict what will happen from one week or month to the next. But I have learned to trust my sleeve - it's working really well for me. Your body will already have a new set point in mind and once you get there that's it - I believe we either accept that or we fight tooth and nail to lose more to get to OUR ideal (not our BODY'S new ideal) and then fight forever to stay there. And most of us have spent a good part of our lives fighting the same fight and losing.

I hope you do really well with your sleeve - you're already doing brilliantly. Stick to the rules and you will lose, there's no way on this earth that you won't. And if you stick to the rules for a long time you will get to your new set weight. How much you will lose and how fast is, unfortunately for you and me, pretty much impossible to say.

Thanks for your insight. I will try to trust the process. :)

49 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

I should say too that 600 calories a day sounds really little to me - is that until you get where you want to be or just for the first few weeks?

Hmmm, from what he said it sounds like 600 kcal / day is the average daily goal for the first 6 months. Since I'm just now starting soft foods, 600 kcal is a lot. But when I can eat more items, I bet I'd hit 600 Kcal pretty quickly. They pretty much explained that I would be eating similar to the pre-op diet.

I bet that's why they suggest taking a Multivitamin, Calcium, B complex, Omega III, Probiotics

Let me try to save you some potential angst and head-banging against walls: There is no way to predict your weight loss. Relying and comparing yourself to averages and statistics (and other people) more often than not results in disappointment.

But yes, we all do it anyway.

The data out there can be used as a guide, but doesn’t really dictate success.

Sounds like you are going into this with a good attitude and a plan. Just a gentle reminder to keep that good attitude when things don’t go according to plan.

Good Luck! ❤️

What I am about to say is a general rule.

You are two weeks out from surgery. Within the next few weeks, you will hit a weight loss stall. It will last 2-3 weeks and will be very frustrating for you. Just keep doing what you know to do and you will break through the stall.

After you come out of that stall will be the quickest weight loss of the entire process. You will lose the most weight between months 3 and 6.

There will come a time anywhere between 8 and 18 months that the weight loss will begin to slow down. You will experience more stalls and you will not lose as quickly when you come out of the stalls.

Then there will come a time when you stop losing weight and even gain some back. For example, a co-worker had the sleeve about 6-7 yrs ago. He told me that he bottomed out at 175 pounds, but now he is at 195-200 (down from 330, I believe).

As other people have said, there is no good way to say, "I've lost 7.9%, but I am supposed to be at 9.8% by now." Everyone is different. But that is the general trajectory that you should expect.

Don't do this. Don't try to set yourself up for metrics like that, because everybody is different, and most importantly, every BODY is different.

I will say that my bariatric centre's nutritionist tried to shame me for eating 800 kcal a day and told me that's why my weight loss stalled. I fired her loudly and found a different nutrition coach, who increased my calories based on my activity level, and weight loss resumed. I currently eat 1500-2000 cal a day at seven months out and am still losing, though I am extremely active and also taller and heavier than you are.

I do want to say one thing, because I'm a total control freak and had to weigh myself every day. Get out of that habit right now. And if you must weigh often, then keep a running average. Pick a day—let's say Wednesdays. Every Wednesday add up your total weights and divide by the number of weigh-ins. Then track that average.

Why? Because your body has way more going on than just fat loss. If you eat salty, or if it's time for your courses, or if you've been doing a lot of weight lifting, or if you're constipated, etc., etc., your weight can fluctuate by as much as 3-5 lbs. over the course of just a couple of days. Does that mean you "gained weight" (as in fat)? No... you couldn't eat that much. So it's inflammation, or bloating, or muscle inflammation.

Learning this saved me from the terrible things I would say to myself if I stepped on the scale and had an unexpectedly high weigh-in.