Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over night stay at hospital. Yay or nay

22 hours ago, Esi said:
22 hours ago, Esi said:

Although I was not ready to go home, I almost feel that the pain management would have been better at home. The nursing staff was very short staffed, and sometimes it was two hours before they would provide me pain medicine after I called them sobbing.

Whereas when I came home, I was the one with the medicine and could control when I received it (on time!).

Same here today nurses are short staffed They have been in a couple of times but no pain medicine 🤦‍♀️

My sleeve surgery was two days ago, April 25. My surgeon now does it as outpatient, unless there are particular health concerns prior to surgery or complications following. I don’t recall being given the option to stay overnight. Surgeon said since I have good mobility and care at home it would be the best option. I’m not totally sure how I feel about it now. I didn’t quite feel ready to leave as they were discharging me only like 5 hours after surgery. And I ended up having severe vomiting for 24 hours, every 30-60 minutes. It was really scary and I would have probably liked having nurses/doctors nearby. It’s passed now.

22 hours ago, sleever425 said:

My sleeve surgery was two days ago, April 25. My surgeon now does it as outpatient, unless there are particular health concerns prior to surgery or complications following. I don’t recall being given the option to stay overnight. Surgeon said since I have good mobility and care at home it would be the best option. I’m not totally sure how I feel about it now. I didn’t quite feel ready to leave as they were discharging me only like 5 hours after surgery. And I ended up having severe vomiting for 24 hours, every 30-60 minutes. It was really scary and I would have probably liked having nurses/doctors nearby. It’s passed now.

I had mine the 26th. My surgeon told me I could go home same day. But something changed and he kept me over night. I didn't question it. I'm assuming it's because I had a hernia that was fixed too. I was ok with staying. I was in so much pain. Im glad I didn't have to sit in the car 2 hours going home the same day. A lot f people told me I need to stay for pain management. But they didn't really control my pain in the hospital. They said my pain was from gas and pain medicine didn't help with gas.

I had my gastric sleeve on 4/25/2022. I had the option to stay or go home as long as I was taking in fluids appropriately and up walking. I was able to tolerate fluids and was up and walking. I did choose to go home and did great. I did have some nausea, but nothing the meds they sent me home on couldn’t handle. I was a little groggy from the anesthesia but I did not have any pain. I just set my timer to get in my sips and walking. By day two I was doing really good.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, crazycritters4 said:

I had my gastric sleeve on 4/25/2022. I had the option to stay or go home as long as I was taking in fluids appropriately and up walking. I was able to tolerate fluids and was up and walking. I did choose to go home and did great. I did have some nausea, but nothing the meds they sent me home on couldn’t handle. I was a little groggy from the anesthesia but I did not have any pain. I just set my timer to get in my sips and walking. By day two I was doing really good.

They ended up keeping me 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure why unless it's because of my hernia repair. I would have been ok to go home. Because they really didn't give me any pain meds and my husband helped me in the hospital with everything.

I had the sleeve 4 years ago and was released a couple of hours after the surgery. Everything went okay and I personally would rather not stay overnight in a hospital if I don’t need to. My insurance paid and would have paid for the overnight stay.
I had all the pain medication that I needed but only took Tylenol the day I was released and that was it.

I went home the same day after my WLS and, honestly, it was a good call for me. Having a high pain tolerance helped, but WAS pain is a unique experience.Make sure to have a supportive post-op plan and, most importantly, listen to your body. Wishing you a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery!

Posted (edited)

On 2/28/2024 at 3:07 PM, Elizaventy94 said:

I went home the same day after my WLS and, honestly, it was a good call for me. Having a high pain tolerance helped, but WAS pain is a unique experience.Make sure to have a supportive post-op plan and, most importantly, listen to your body. Wishing you a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery!

Consider exploring personalized iv therapies; they made a noticeable difference in my recovery.

Edited by Elizaventy94

Personally I think anytime you go under general anesthesia an overnight stay should be required particularly if you are under for over an hour. General anesthesia used to require an overnight stay but insurance companies have been responsible for the change in policy for obvious reasons.

The last two times I had general anesthesia I was hard to wake as well having excessive lingering effects for 12+ hours. Turns out I am highly sensitive to anesthesia. After my VSG surgery, I was not able to stay awake for almost 8 hours. Even with assistance I was unable to stand and walk. Within 12 hours I started to rally and by 20 hours I was heading to the spa for a massage.

Posted (edited)

Hey there! I went home the same day after my WLS. It really depends on how you're feeling and what your doctor recommends. I had a high pain tolerance, too, but it's good to listen to your body and take it easy. Don't hesitate to ask your doctor for advice.
Speaking of doctors, if you guys work in the healthcare industry, check out https://fortismedicalbilling.com/medical-billing/ for their outstanding medical billing services. They help me a lot with my business. Take care!

Edited by EvelinMora

I had my surgery last week and my surgeon said he has all of his patients stay one night for monitoring. There are other surgeons in the same unit that let people go home same day, but he said he prefers not to rush care. It made me feel safer. I did have some overnight challenges, so I was glad to still be there. I left the next afternoon.

On 4/9/2022 at 8:10 AM, Happy Stylist said:

Did you stay over night at the hospital or did you go home the same day? I'm thinking if going home same day. But not sure if that's the best thing to do. I have a high tolerance for pain. But I know WLS pain might be different.

I stayed one night and I'm glad I did, I went into the bathroom, used the toilet and was busy tying my gown back up - my gown (had come lose), when next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor looking at the wall tile! Apparently my blood pressure dropped extremely low causing me to pass out. I cracked my head and my knee requiring an X-Ray and CAT scan of my head...Had I gone home it could have been bad, at the very least a trip via ambulance back to the hospital. I'd stay at least overnight just to make sure all is well, it would be beneficial if you can afford it.

It was always the plan to stay at least one night, I ended up staying 2 nights because my bladder was sleepy. I mostly slept the whole two days though.

I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. I was in excruciating pain, there is no way I would have been able to have gastric sleeve surgery as an outpatient.