Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over night stay at hospital. Yay or nay

I Stayed over. I wouldnt recommend going home same day. This is major surgery! And you may need pain meds.

I stayed one night but i don’t think i had a choice in the matter (or did i? I dunno…i didn’t bother to ask).

i didn’t mind though cuz (1) the hospital bed was recline-y so it was easier to get in and out of bed for walks…and the endless halls were useful for that (2) i was grateful for the night nurse’s assistance for those first trips to the bathroom to pee (3) for the little bit of peace of mind that i was surrounded by medical professionals Just In Case.

I stayed overnight after my surgery. I was given the option to go home the evening after surgery (surgery was at 7am) but decided against it.

I liked the adjustable bed to help me get up and the pain pump. I wasn't in horrible pain but after a walk around the hall and a trip to the bathroom I was uncomfortable. I got back in my bed or my recliner chair, pushed my pain button and went off to sleep.

3 hours ago, BeagleMom83 said:

I stayed overnight after my surgery. I was given the option to go home the evening after surgery (surgery was at 7am) but decided against it.

I liked the adjustable bed to help me get up and the pain pump. I wasn't in horrible pain but after a walk around the hall and a trip to the bathroom I was uncomfortable. I got back in my bed or my recliner chair, pushed my pain button and went off to sleep.

But.., do you think you would have been ok to go home the same day? My surgery time is set for 8am. And they said they would release me around 6pm that night. I have to option and I'll pack a over night bag just in case.

I was sleeved morning of December 22, 2021. I was supposed to say 2 nights and only stayed for 1. I never had any pain and was walking a lot. My IV monitor kept going off and I couldn't sleep. My doctor said I could leave next next day.

My surgeon requires all sleeve patients to stay one night so you can do a swallow test the next morning to make sure there are no leaks. I’m glad I stayed over, i was in a lot of pain right after surgery.

I spent two nights in the hospital after WLS sleeve. I was never in any pain at any time, just nauseous for 24-30 hours. They had to keep me overnight one night to do the "leak test" the next morning to ensure there were no leaks. Then I guess the second night was so I could get rid of the nausea and start intake of liquids.

I HAD to stay overnight and it seems necessary because:

#1 They need to make sure your vitals are stable

#2 They need to replenish your fluids via IV

#3 They need to administer anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory meds throughout the night

#4 I had to have a UGI the following morning to make sure there were no leaks in my stomach

On 4/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, Queen ApisM said:

I had sleeve, and typically it is one night for sleeve patients. I had to stay two nights though, simply because they couldn't get blood out of me! Seriously, I was fine - I passed the drinking test (certain amount of fluids in a certain amount of time), was walking, had gone to the bathroom plenty - but they wanted a post surgery blood panel before releasing me, and NO ONE (including the Difficult Vein Access team) could get anything out of my veins, even using fancy vein finding gadgets. Finally the morning nurse after my second night got totally lucky and we got enough blood for them to confirm I was fine and let me go at around noon. If she had failed I was going to offer to cut my hand and bleed into a cup because I was not staying a third night. I was self pay, it was not happening.

Hilarious 😆 I too have veins that hide, tiny they use a butterfly . I tell them get the pediatric ones. When they took my gall bladder out they had to go between my toes and call the mrs Dracula the expert phlebotomist. But I hope to stay as long as they can keep me . I have a ride, but probably I’ll be alone. So I need to be lucid n hydrated . I have neighbors, but my grand is only one could stay, but she’s working 2 jobs as it is. I live in Fl everyone but a couple of people went back north - it’s a ghost town.

I had surgery April 11 and did not stay. I REALLY regretted that. I was in a LOT of pain that night, the most I’d ever felt before, and I wished up and down I had stayed in the hospital. If I had to do it again I would absolutely stay 1 night for the care and access to an IV

I stayed 1 night after my sleeve and I'm so glad I did. I couldn't imagine being home the first night.

My surgeon keeps his patients in overnight to monitor progress, give fluids, etc. & ensure you are drinking without issue. Because I lived alone he suggested I stay an extra night again which turned out I needed because apparently I was a terrible colour, BP was low & I had a lot of swelling & struggled to swallow. Then on the third day when I was to go home my back went into spasm so I didn’t go home until day 4. I was basically pain & swelling free by then.

I was told I would stay two nights but was allowed to go home after one. I was up and walking in recovery and on nothing but Tylenol because I had very little pain. I was glad to be there with the bed rails though because Of the epidural like nerve block they give you in your stomach. I felt as if I had done 1000 sit ups and had to pull myself up using the bed rails until that wore off. Also, even if you tolorate Water well immediately as i did I would worry that without the iv it would be hard to get properly hydrated after all that and dehydration leads to nausea which I don’t do well with. I have a high pain threshold but I’m a baby when it comes to nausea so it was worth spending the night just to prevent that from happening.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, Robz said:

But.., do you think you would have been ok to go home the same day? My surgery time is set for 8am. And they said they would release me around 6pm that night. I have to option and I'll pack a over night bag just in case.

Why the rush to get home? This is major surgery, and having nurses and pain meds and a reclining bed are all huge reasons to stay. Not to mention doctors usually want to test your pain levels, swallowing, walking, etc... Staying 1 night is a way better idea than going home the same day. My surgeon won't even allow it. You have to stay 1 night.

I was in for two nights, my surgeon would have been happy with another night. I was quite happy I was in hospital, I certainly wouldn't have managed the first night at home. I can't even fathom people going home the same day as surgery.