Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over night stay at hospital. Yay or nay

Did you stay over night at the hospital or did you go home the same day? I'm thinking if going home same day. But not sure if that's the best thing to do. I have a high tolerance for pain. But I know WLS pain might be different.

Edited by Robz

when I had surgery seven years ago, sleeve patients generally stayed one night and bypass patients two nights. I think one night for both types is common now, unless there's an issue. I have heard of people going home the same day, but not very often. Honestly, I'd rather be in the hospital at least one night in case something weird happened.

P.S. I had very little pain at all (just some nausea the first night), but I'm still glad I was at the hospital in case something happened (it didn't...but it was reassuring to know I was there in case something HAD happened) WLS is pretty major surgery...

Edited by catwoman7

They kept me for one night when I had my gastric bypass. They never offered me the opportunity to go home the same day. My insurance is good, so I wasn't worried about the cost of the overnight stay.

I had gastric sleeve surgery with stage 3 hiatal hernia repair. It was an outpatient procedure at a surgical center. My pain was minimal

I was not able to keep liquids down so I had to stay 6 nights. I had 1 extra night because we had a huge storm in the UK and it outed all the power in my area. My wonderful surgeon wouldn't let me go home to a cold house, I was so happy for that.

1 hour ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I had gastric sleeve surgery with stage 3 hiatal hernia repair. It was an outpatient procedure at a surgical center. My pain was minimal

Did you stay the night or did you go home same day?

I am having surgery on April 18th. Everyone stays minimum of one night, if you end up with any issues you stay 2 nights or longer. I would never want to go home the same day, I want to be somewhere where i can be monitored in case something is wrong and wont have to rush back to the hospital.

I stayed 1 night after my sleeve (afternoon operation) and I am glad I did. I probably could have managed at home but I was groggy after the anaesthetic and pretty sore.

3 hours ago, Robz said:

Did you stay over night at the hospital or did you go home the same day? I'm thinking if going home same day. But not sure if that's the best thing to do. I have a high tolerance for pain. But I know WLS pain might be different.

I had the sleeve done about 7 years ago as an outpatient. Went home a few hours later. I recently had a revision to RNY for gerd back in August. I spent one night and left the next morning.

1 hour ago, Robz said:

Did you stay the night or did you go home same day?

Went to a hotel. Later that evening the practice sent somebody to provide IV therapy. Then they pick you up the following day and take you to their location for another IV therapy.

I had sleeve, and typically it is one night for sleeve patients. I had to stay two nights though, simply because they couldn't get blood out of me! Seriously, I was fine - I passed the drinking test (certain amount of fluids in a certain amount of time), was walking, had gone to the bathroom plenty - but they wanted a post surgery blood panel before releasing me, and NO ONE (including the Difficult Vein Access team) could get anything out of my veins, even using fancy vein finding gadgets. Finally the morning nurse after my second night got totally lucky and we got enough blood for them to confirm I was fine and let me go at around noon. If she had failed I was going to offer to cut my hand and bleed into a cup because I was not staying a third night. I was self pay, it was not happening.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

I had the sleeve done about 7 years ago as an outpatient. Went home a few hours later. I recently had a revision to RNY for gerd back in August. I spent one night and left the next morning.

So going home same day is doable. Thanks

My surgery is on the 3rd and my surgeon said sleeve is 1 night and bypass is 2 nights. No option for same day. I'm glad because there's no way I'd want to go home the same day.

1 hour ago, SleeveDiva22 said:

My surgery is on the 3rd and my surgeon said sleeve is 1 night and bypass is 2 nights. No option for same day. I'm glad because there's no way I'd want to go home the same day.

I was given the option. If they or I feel like I need to stay. I can be admitted but if everything is fine they said I could go home. Just trying to figure out how much pain I'll be in.

I have not had surgery yet but I was already told its mandatory to stay 1 night to make sure no issues arise.