Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!! I’m pre op and still learning about everything. My concern is how will I afford this diet? The shakes and Protein powders are so expensive!! Is there certain brands people recommend? Ik the taste buds change and everything but I just need someone to tell me it’s not too bad. 😅 I have surgery in July but just wanting to cover everything.

Fairlife, Premier Protein, Boost, ensure ect... there are tons. They are not that expensive. you can get ready to drink or get the powder and make your own. But yes taste buds can change so i wouldnt get a bunch. Just enough for the pre op diet and a little after then you can buy what you like after surgery.

I think the item that most needs to be budgeted is the Vitamins. I still use Protein Powder (even now 8 months out) but lots of people don't continue with them, after the first few months. I just like them so I still have them. I don't care for the prepared ones, though I keep some on hand when I am on the go. I try to buy the prepared ones at costco to save some money vs. other retail options. I like the Unjury Protein powder with soy milk - the chocolate Splendor is delicious.

You are eating so much less food, though, the costs might get balanced out by reduced grocery bills and restaurant eating. I know it is true in my case, but of course that depends on your current lifestyle and other factors.

You will be eating a LOT less after surgery, so you will save money in the end. BUT more importantly, your body is worth it.

Reduce costs elsewhere in your life, don't sacrifice your nutrition (especially don't skip Vitamins - if you the Pro-Care health one a day it's like a dollar a day - you're WORTH IT!!!!).

I know that for some people a $3 Protein Drink (the cost of a core power at a 7-11) is expensive, but so many of us are used to spending more than that on a Breakfast sandwich.

You will probably only drink one Protein Shake a day after the first month, and eventually you might not drink any.

You will have to try different brands. For me personally, I can't tolerate the powders and buy only the premade shakes. I like the Fairlife core power chocolate (tastes like chocolate milk!) and they are available a lot of places.

So there are many ways to look at this. One is that the food you will be eating may cost more but you'll be eating less food overall, therefore not increasing your grocery or food budget. Another way is that the cost of medicine and health vs the slightly increased cost of healthy food calculation, It's not a barrier, really.

I prefer Protein powder over ready-to-drink shakes, and powder tends to be less expensive. My favorite brand of protein powder is Ideal Lean, but it is really a matter of personal taste. For ready-to-drink shakes, Equate brand is pretty much the same as Premier Protein but priced much lower. I am almost 2 years out now and I no longer drink Protein Shakes. I get plenty of protein from food, and I'd rather eat food than drink a Protein Shake.

It is really important to budget for what you'll need post-op, and don't forget about Vitamins. The best value in bariatric vitamins is the BariatricPal brand Multivitamin, which is $99.99/year for a subscription (I recommend you buy a smaller bottle first and make sure you like them before you subscribe; also, you'll probably need chewables for the first few months after surgery). Depending on your program/bloodwork, you may need additional vitamins (I take Calcium, chelated Iron, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin D, and Biotin in addition to the multivitamin, and I also use pre-workout and essential amino acid supplements). Vitamins are super important for gastric bypass patients, so you have to make sure you're prepared to buy them before you have the surgery.

In the early post-op stages, I was eating so little that the costs balanced out. Now that I'm eating regular food and larger portions, though, I am spending a lot more on food than I was before surgery, even though I'm eating less. I used to shop sales and buy cheap food. Things like chips, crackers, Cookies, candy, frozen meals and Snacks, baking ingredients (sugar, flour, oil, butter), etc., can be very inexpensive when you buy them on sale. Now, I buy a lot of fresh produce, meat, fish, herbs, and spices, plus some healthier substitutions (sugar-free sweeteners, Protein Bars, low-calorie Salad Dressing, sugar-free Condiments, olive/avocado oil, coconut flour, etc.) and prioritize health and taste over price. I'm sure I could spend less and still eat healthy if I really needed to, but I have invested so much into this surgery and losing weight that I'm willing to spend more money on food that helps me stick to my plan.

2 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

You will be eating a LOT less after surgery, so you will save money in the end. BUT more importantly, your body is worth it.

Yes!!!! Before on the daily i would buy my breakfast, lunch, dinner averaging about $40 a day eating out and i did this every single day i rarely ever ate at home. So looking forward to not spending so much money on food anymore.

7 hours ago, Bricam20 said:

Hello!! I’m pre op and still learning about everything. My concern is how will I afford this diet? The shakes and Protein powders are so expensive!! Is there certain brands people recommend? Ik the taste buds change and everything but I just need someone to tell me it’s not too bad. 😅 I have surgery in July but just wanting to cover everything.

I see you're in Texas. Do you happen to be anywhere near Houston? My tastes have changed, and I have some Protein Shakes and maybe one or two other things that I no longer care for. It would be great if I could find a good home for them. Please let me know.

Having said that, if you have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, even at $1.50, it's not that much more than what a pre-surgery breakfast might cost.

El Paso, unfortunately. But I do appreciate you. I’ve priced stuff and seen where people add unflavored Protein to drinks and broths, so that’s a good option.

After shakes...you can get all your B12, Vitamin A...even Protein with a tiny amount of liver pate which you can make yourself for almost no money at all. When you're done with that do yourself a nice soft sardine pate - sardines, cream cheese and a fine chop of chives. Delicious and basically free per portion. There's so many top quality things to eat and with the portions you'll eat they'll be nearly free. And don't skip your Vitamins. But these sorts of things do supply more of them and at a much higher bioavailability and lower price point than any vitamins ever will.

I agree with the above posters. I want to tell you it’s not to bad. Remember you are eating less, so a normal healthy meal I could eat before surgery is now roughly two meals now (with a little more Protein thrown in).