Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss expectations VSG to RNY??

Almost 8 yrs VSG and had severe GERD beforehand. It significantly decreased post op but I've remained on PPI medication the entire time. I was down to 1-2 total doses per week, however I had some regain over the last year and am up to THREE TIMES daily!! It's everything to do with how I carry my weight- all in my middle. While I was quite satisfied with the GERD being almost totally resolved initially, I'm fearful that even IF I lose the current regain it won't go away to the extend that it was in the past.

I have been told by my bariatric team that a revision is likely the ONLY way to get the GERD to go away with 100% certainty. That sounds pretty good to me but I am quite fearful of surgery in general because I'm a nurse practitioner and we make terrible patients...

I would love to know what the loss pattern was like for those who had the revision and can I plan to see awesome results? I mean, BESIDES the GERD clearing up?

I am currently about 40 lbs about my ULTIMATE goal- I never reached that goal with my VSG, stopping about 12 lbs away from it...

I like your question as it applies to me as well and I look forward to seeing responses to let us both know this information.

The weight loss for revision varies a lot, but in general is significantly less than with your initial surgery. If you're doing it for GERD, it makes sense, but for weight loss, it makes more sense to look at other weight loss strategies like medications and counting calories/behavior change

Well everyone is different so I can only talk about my own experience.

I got sleeved in Dec 2016 and lost about 120 lbs in about 6 months. I had GERD before sleeve and still had it after, felt about the same. I took PPI once every morning.

I slowly began to regain for various reasons, until I was almost back to where I started. I got revision to bypass this past November and am down over 75 lbs so far. Also my GERD is gone. My only regrets are not following the program in the first place, and not getting the revision sooner.

I was revised January 2021, and 1 year out I had lost 105 lbs. Revision weight was 295, high weight (pre-sleeve) 365. I am currently 195. I just finished treatment for uterine/ovarian cancer and oncologist told me to not actively try to lose weight, but I have lost over 30 pounds since the diagnosis.

I had sleeve surgery about 9 years ago. Went from 260 to 166 roughly. Gained most of it back. No Gerd. Hated myself. I’m almost 1 year post op conversion to bypass. I have lost weight faster throughout. Was 245 and now 153. I have lost weight faster because I don’t take it for granted this time.

On 04/05/2022 at 04:38, Tufflaw said:

Well everyone is different so I can only talk about my own experience.

I got sleeved in Dec 2016 and lost about 120 lbs in about 6 months. I had GERD before sleeve and still had it after, felt about the same. I took PPI once every morning.

I slowly began to regain for various reasons, until I was almost back to where I started. I got revision to bypass this past November and am down over 75 lbs so far. Also my GERD is gone. My only regrets are not following the program in the first place, and not getting the revision sooner.

What exactly do you mean regret not following the program? I am 9 days out of vsg and this made me curious about regain.

2 hours ago, newnew@46 said:

What exactly do you mean regret not following the program? I am 9 days out of vsg and this made me curious about regain.

Well I slowly stopped tracking, I started eating larger portions as well as unhealthy meals, and I started eating unhealthy Snacks again, and eventually just went back to my old habits and it was as if I'd never had the surgery at all. It took several years but almost all the weight came back. This was for a variety of reasons, both personal and professional, but suffice to say now that I know what to watch out for I will be a lot more careful this time around.

I believe you'll hit your goal this time around. I had the revision in August due to gerd. I am below my goal now and after reaching it a couple of months ago, I am continuing to lose weight. For example, I lost 4.7 lbs just last month. It has been extremely effective for both gerd and rapid weight loss for me. Now I just want to make sure I stay in the normal weight range instead of entering the underweight range, due to my age. I am in my 60s. I feel so much better physically since the revision.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my vsg in April 2016, I lost 90lbs in 5 months and found out I was pregnant. 😶 Everything made me sick, but when I started eating terrible food, it made my addiction come right back. 2 years after I had my oldest, I had my youngest. Now she is 3 and I have gained just about all of my weight back and its brought back its problems with it. So now I am starting my journey back. Im more conscious about my eating and exercising, and start my nutrionist appointments in June. I want the revision from sleeve to RNY, but we will see how things progress, my husband isnt on board with me getting another surgery, but I am trying to just get myself together the best I can and work my way until I am able to schedule, then see if I can get his support. Im just nervous about how it will all turn out. I have GERD terrible, and PCOS and my doctor is putting me back on metformin. I wanted to have surgery originally to have kids, but I know if I had another chance at being healthy and getting myself back I'll know how I got myself into this situation again and be able to prepare for it not to happen again. Plus I dont want anymore kids.

So it’s been a couple months are you going through with the revision?

Well I had my nutrionist appointment yesterday and there is a different process for revisions. So from my understanding I'll have to have an EGD done to see the effects of the GERD. Then I have to meet with the surgeon and see if I qualify. So far since I have written the original post I have lost 10lbs and will just keep on trying my best. So hopefully I'll get some more clarity within the next few weeks.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:37 PM, Stella S said:

So it’s been a couple months are you going through with the revision?

yes planning on it. see my GI doc in a week. I haven't seen my original surgeon in 7 years- I had to switch to another clinic because of insurance purposes and will discuss with my GI doc which surgeon would be better for the revision (now that i've switched to a BCBS plan they both take).... GERD is still terrible.