Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, Grider said:

Hi don’t know if do friends thing in here , it’s been years since got on, but seems we are in the same boat. I was in an O/S assignment and got sick then the all night acid vomiting started. Because of Covid, I was stuck there until late oct ,20 . Had lap band removed last April and now IBS n all sorts of problem ensued and now my stomach does not empty. Sugar is wack, plus gaining weight fast. How is the 2nd process going.? I know the lap band took 4 months to get it finally done . Good luck!

Yeah friends on here used to be a bigger thing years ago when there was a chat room. The entire community was closer knit than it is now. I miss the way BP used to be.

I'm sorry to hear about your band troubles. They sound much like mine.

The second process is coming along nicely. I started the process in February and I will be cleared for surgery after my dietitian appointment next week. Then my case goes before review, then I get an appointment with the surgeon and a tentative surgery date. It's looking like some time in May.

GERD is under control at the moment due to Protonix and I've not gained any weight since band removal, I've actually lost a bit.

Best wishes!

Well, the asthma is reduced and GERD is gone, I can walk faster and more often. I wish I had done it years ago. Being able to breathe is priceless.

I had lap-band 13 years ago, I lost 100 pounds, but gained it all back and struggled with frequent vomiting and severe reflux. Even with the band deflated.

My surgeon told me they don't do lap-band for people who need to lose as much as I did anymore. I weighed 375 at surgery and weigh 404 now. The lap-band became a nightmare. The band slipped, I developed severe GERD, Barrett's esophagus, recurring aspiration pneumonia and hiatal hernia. My band was removed in January and I feel so much better, but I'm in the pre-surgical program to have gastric bypass.

I'm super-excited for the bypass surgery. That's really what I wanted to begin with but my Mom and my ex-husband thought it was too dangerous... so here I am. I have a new, very supportive husband! 😍 And my Mom, who is a nurse, has seen a lot more people with success after surgery so she's on board too! Either way, I'm doing this for me!!!

50 minutes ago, Butterfly333 said:

I had lap-band 13 years ago, I lost 100 pounds, but gained it all back and struggled with frequent vomiting and severe reflux. Even with the band deflated.

My surgeon told me they don't do lap-band for people who need to lose as much as I did anymore. I weighed 375 at surgery and weigh 404 now. The lap-band became a nightmare. The band slipped, I developed severe GERD, Barrett's esophagus, recurring aspiration pneumonia and hiatal hernia. My band was removed in January and I feel so much better, but I'm in the pre-surgical program to have gastric bypass.

I'm super-excited for the bypass surgery. That's really what I wanted to begin with but my Mom and my ex-husband thought it was too dangerous... so here I am. I have a new, very supportive husband! 😍 And my Mom, who is a nurse, has seen a lot more people with success after surgery so she's on board too! Either way, I'm doing this for me!!!

Doing it for you is key otherwise why bother i truly wish you well, i am having gastric bypass hopefully by October my weight right now is 290 at least i have an appt with the surgeon on the 21st of this month i am grateful i am getting closer to the final stages as i am dying to live my life i have never been this heavy and it is so depressing my clothes are tight and i so impatient i want it done yesterday anyway sorry for the rambling i hope things work out for you and you get the support you may need for the GBS, take care.

why 001.jpg

Thanks for your reply Butterfly333, the 7th. is my first appointment. The primary concern is my Gastroparisis. I am anxious, as another weight loss surgery was the last thing I was expecting. Yea I’m trying to navigate the site, I like the old one too. Well let’s see what this week brings. Take care

I regretted having the surgery for the first 4 or 5 months. I was hungry all the time and in pain every time I ate. And food tasted terrible. Now I'm 7 months out, and I can eat more "normally" (NOT like before surgery) and I'm down 110 lbs. But I wish people wouldn't act like this surgery will completely change your life in only positive ways. I was reasonably healthy before, and I'm reasonably healthy now. I am just thinner. I don't have any more energy, my health isn't any better, I'm actually on MORE medication (I had to add some because I am just so danged hungry all the time but can't eat much). I feel guilty about eating almost anything, even though my diet is much healthier. But I guess I'm happy I had it?

35 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I regretted having the surgery for the first 4 or 5 months. I was hungry all the time and in pain every time I ate. And food tasted terrible.

I just had lunch today with my friend who has VSG and she literally said the exact same thing!

Are you taking Vitamins? My ex daughter in law had the rny I think and looks amazing but she said her first three months were from hell. I have very low energy n feel ill most days so anxious to get on the road to feeling better.

Edited by Grider

2 hours ago, Grider said:

Are you taking Vitamins? My ex daughter in law had the rny I think and looks amazing but she said her first three months were from hell. I have very low energy n feel ill most days so anxious to get on the road to feeling better.

Vitamins aren't always the answer, I feel terrible when I take Vitamins daily. People keep saying it's impossible but every time I try I feel like crap both in my mood and physically. I figure it something in them that just doesn't agree with me. I have also noticed a few people in my Facebook group have mentioned the same .

It makes sense. I know absorption and breaking down stuff it’s not as simple as they make it out to be. I know I don’t break down meds. I am glad I’m only on thyroid meds and famotidine for acid, don’t how how I’d handle other meds after surgery.

Sorry to hear, hope so. Are you at the hospital or urgent care getting IVs?

I get asked this all the time. I always say if you are doing it just to loose weight then don't, the side effects are a lot to deal with. If you are doing it for mental health problems then do it.

9 hours ago, Stephanie H. said:

I’m 7 weeks post op and have all the regrets. I can’t stay hydrated and nothing seems to sit well even fluids. Can’t handle Protein Drinks or any of the Water add ins. IVs keeping me hydrated at this point. I am hungry but can’t eat and have almost no physical strength anymore. Say it gets better.

Have they checked to see if you have a stricture ? They thought I had but it all settled down at about 8 weeks out.