Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those who are beyond immediate post-op. Is there anyone here who wishes you had never undergone bariatric surgery?

My wife is not a part of this site but she regrets she ever had it done she says to me all the time if she knew she'd have the problems she is having now she would have never given it a seond thoughti'm sorry you are having regrets it must be discouraging.I hope you feel differently down the road.

I just had my first consultation and I'm considering the gastric sleeve. I need to lose 80-100 lbs

2 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

My wife is not a part of this site but she regrets she ever had it done she says to me all the time if she knew she'd have the problems she is having now she would have never given it a seond thoughti'm sorry you are having regrets it must be discouraging.I hope you feel differently down the road.

I'm sorry she's had such a difficult time.

thats awesome i took it the wrong way i am happy for you we have talked before how are you doing tek😎

I had a rough couple of months but do not regret it in the slightest. I paid for it myself and consider it worth every penny. Even though I am only beginning my journey, my fitness is way beyond where I thought I could ever be again. My Diabetes has gone, my BP is normal and I do not get up in the night to pee. Life is so good

2 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

thats awesome i took it the wrong way i am happy for you we have talked before how are you doing tek😎

Hello again Coop.

I'm doing just peachy,

So, what kind of issues is your wife having? You are intending to have WLS still, are you worried about similar issues? How does she feel about you having WLS?

Tek

I opted for the LapBand 12 yrs ago, had many rough days, and only lost weight the first year. I regret that surgery because I ended up constantly sick and suffered over a year because of the pandemic. They removed it last year and I'm having all types of digestive problems - GI said I have Gastroparesis which they think the Gastric Sleeve is the best course of action. See the surgeon next week. They took me off vegetables and salads. I hope I can eat those again after my healing wait period. now I'm gaining weight like crazy and sugar levels are out of whack. I qualify for the WL surgery just from my BMI and comorbidities. I hope not creating a worse problem.

My wife had it done , believe it or not 17 yrs ago but is still struggling with it she is very supportive me having it done but is still giving me advice on the gastric bypass she was doing really well for a long time until she started having a lot of issues around dumping and getting sick all the time, i don't think im going to have to lose any weight before the SX im up to 290 however only 5 8 but ill know soon enough when i have my next appt , i had my first one this morning it went awesome, how are you doing bud ?

PS: you had better br good i just might get the boys after you....kidding ...LOL

Niagra 003.gif

I haven't even reached my goal and it hasn't been super easy for me (especially now that I'm pregnant) but I only regret not doing it sooner! I really want to get breast reduction surgery next. Cant wait for that! I will say I wanted more immediate results. I fantasized about being "beach ready" 4 months after surgery and that didnt happen (the way I fantasized about it anyway). It's taken me a lot longer than I hoped to reach my goal and be "back to normal." I pretty much took a year off my social life then got pregnant so I still feel like Im on pause and under construction. But one day soon I know I'll be where I want to be! No regrets!

Grider , It must be so discouraging to lose the weight and start to gain the weight back i hope you find your answer (s)in the next SX after what youre going through you deserve the answers , the ones that give you peacde of mind i eish you welll, truily i do.😊

Niagra 089.jpg

I weigh 290 and i am not sure what my goal weight is b ut i can tell you this i was 190 when i went in the
Navy and its been about 25 yrs since i got out i doubt i will ever get back to my Navy days , no chance of that ,it is scary to think i gained 100 lbs since i got out omg is that frightening !

4 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

My wife had it done , believe it or not 17 yrs ago but is still struggling with it she is very supportive me having it done but is still giving me advice on the gastric bypass she was doing really well for a long time until she started having a lot of issues around dumping and getting sick all the time, i don't think im going to have to lose any weight before the SX im up to 290 however only 5 8 but ill know soon enough when i have my next appt , i had my first one this morning it went awesome, how are you doing bud ?

PS: you had better br good i just might get the boys after you....kidding ...LOL

I'm trying to keep this in the spirit of the thread. You should start a fresh thread on your wife's issues. I'd wager folks here could offer up some good ideas to perhaps help.

I had my surgery about the same time as your wife. I dump pretty easily on sugars and fats, but I'm generally able to avoid them or at least avoid the amount that causes dumping. Not always, though.

More generally, my restriction is still in full force. If I eat too fast it can still cause pain or discomfort, so again, I try to watch HOW I eat. I most often have issues when I'm eating out or in social situations, as I get involved in conversation and don't pay attention to my eating. I need to always be aware of what I'm doing.

I can see this being defeating and problematic for some people to the extent they regret the surgery. I just take it as part of the joy of being me.

So, all this being said, I wish I had done it 15 years earlier. I would have the surgery every year if I had to, well, I'm old now, so maybe every 5.

Good luck,

Tek