Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much protein

I went for my 3-month post-op follow-up exam today. It went well and apparently I am very much on track. Yay, me! 🎉

Interestingly, however, I was informed that I was consuming too much Protein. Really? The PA told me to hit 60 to 80 grams daily, but I've been averaging closer to 100 grams. I'll cut out the daily Protein Shake, reducing my total intake by 30 grams.

This just seems odd to me, but I'm going to do whatever they tell me to do.

didnt even know that was a thing... i would have figured the more the better.

29 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

didnt even know that was a thing... i would have figured the more the better.

Yeah, too much Protein can cause kidney issues.

There’s information about that says the body can only process & use about 25g of Protein at a time. Apparently the remainder is stored as fat or excreted. Besides putting strain on your kidneys, it can increase your cholesterol which leads to other health concerns too.

Protein is still calories. Your diet should be balanced out with other nutrients sources which support the body’s ability to absorb what is needed from what you eat. Drop a shake. Get your protein from a wide variety of foods - animal Proteins (meat, eggs, dairy) & plants (beans, legumes, etc.). Up your vegetables intake & add a little fruit. (I didn’t have a shake after liquids stage.)

Congrats on doing well so far. Whoo hoo!!

I've also heard it can be hard on your kidneys, but 100 grams doesn't seem that excessive to me - high, but not enough to do damage. But then, what do I know? I'm not a dietitian, so.... I agree with Arabesque that eating that much when we're taking in so few calories overall can be keeping you from eating a balanced diet, though.

That’s weird. I just had my 6 week follow up with my dietician and she said min Protein is 60g, but she said 90-100g was great. Maybe it’s because I’m also recovering from ACL replacement, but when I said I could get another 20-30 grams in with an extra Protein Shake a day, she seemed excited. Maybe ask your doctor and see if he/she has an opinion on protein intake and WLS specifically.
Or maybe it’s a calories thing. Protein is great but also has calories.

It depends on lab work. The tests can tell the surgeon/dietician how well your body is absorbing the Protein. Some people for various medical reasons don't absorb protein well. It can also depend on which weight loss surgery you choose. The malabsorbtive type surgeries can cause you to not absorb protein/vitamins as well as before surgery. That's part of the reason follow up labwork is so vital to your success. So sometimes your protein/vitamins have to be tweaked.

My program advised as soon as you could consume 3 oz. of solid Protein at each meal to discontinue the shake. Once you are able to do that you can start adding cooked vegetables and then some limited carbs. If you have room.

I'm at right about the 3oz. stage now but haven't cut the shake out yet. Probably next week.

I went for my 3-month post-op follow-up exam today. It went well and apparently I am very much on track. Yay, me! [emoji322]
Interestingly, however, I was informed that I was consuming too much Protein. Really? The PA told me to hit 60 to 80 grams daily, but I've been averaging closer to 100 grams. I'll cut out the daily Protein Shake, reducing my total intake by 30 grams.
This just seems odd to me, but I'm going to do whatever they tell me to do.

All surgeons are different. Mine encouraged me to 80-100 grams of Protein a day. I had a Gastric Bypass [emoji1745]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using BariatricPal mobile app

No shakes for me after 4 weeks. No powder, no artificial or processed food. Just food. No other guidance.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:43 AM, ardelia said:

Really?

No. 100g isn't too much Protein for anyone.