Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating carbs (pasta, rice, or bread )

Even though I don’t eat Pasta, rice or bread, I don’t think as it as being on a ‘diet’. It’s just how I eat now. Just like people who become vegetarian or vegan, etc. Yes, those foods don’t sit well with me but I think I would still have chosen not to eat them again from a nutritional perspective & I feel better (not as gluggy, bloated, etc.) than when I did eat them & I used to eat them every day. I’m certainly not following a Keto diet. I eat plenty of carbs from vegetables & I eat rolled oats & multi grain crackers every day. It’s just they aren’t highly processed & are whole & multi grains. And yes I can still eat at Italian & Japanese restaurants.

How you chose to eat in the future is your choice. It has to complement your lifestyle & never make you feel like you are missing out.

I never stopped eating carbs, but they are very limited. My program allows whole grain breads, Pasta and crackers. I have also been eating a little brown rice. But, we camp alot with my siblings, cousins and grandchildren and have group meals. I basically eat whatever everyone else eats, but put emphasis on the Protein and try to eat anything else sparingly. My stomach size and reduced appetite has successfully kept me from over-eating, I feel. But, for the most part, I try to be make healthier options for day-to-day. For lunch today I will have a flavored tuna pack on 5-6 whole wheat crackers. I won't be able to eat the entire pouch. I'm 62 yoa and I go to the gym 4-5 days per week. I am 11 weeks post-surgery and am down 45 lbs. I feel this is working well for me and I don't feel like I'm dieting. This will be my new normal. I see my surgeon and nutritionist next Monday for the last time and will update if they tell me different!

On 3/28/2022 at 9:05 AM, GradyCat said:

I can only have a forkful or a single spoonful or potatoes, rice, or carbs.

Same here. I am 3 months post op and what I have found is after I eat my Protein first I really cant get much more in such as potatoes, rice, bread or Pasta. If I am craving potatoes I will have about a tablespoon full and its hit or miss if I am able to eat it or not. I tend to just stay away from it because its not worth eating too much and having adverse effects from it. I tend to pick my battles with mash lol

On 8/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, sprukop0924 said:

I never stopped eating carbs, but they are very limited. My program allows whole grain breads, Pasta and crackers. I have also been eating a little brown rice. But, we camp alot with my siblings, cousins and grandchildren and have group meals. I basically eat whatever everyone else eats, but put emphasis on the Protein and try to eat anything else sparingly. My stomach size and reduced appetite has successfully kept me from over-eating, I feel. But, for the most part, I try to be make healthier options for day-to-day. For lunch today I will have a flavored tuna pack on 5-6 whole wheat crackers. I won't be able to eat the entire pouch. I'm 62 yoa and I go to the gym 4-5 days per week. I am 11 weeks post-surgery and am down 45 lbs. I feel this is working well for me and I don't feel like I'm dieting. This will be my new normal. I see my surgeon and nutritionist next Monday for the last time and will update if they tell me different!

Had my final visit with nutritionist yesterday and she confirmed that including healthy carbs is GOOD long term. Still have to focus on Protein first, but the body functions better with some whole grain foods included in your diet.

This surgery to me is about getting away from unhealthy diet culture & finding balance, fuel and nutrients. So, Yes, I eat carbs & am happy to not be afraid to put a carb in my mouth. The carbs I eat are high quality and mostly unprocessed. They provide important nutrients and I need them to stay satisfied. I worry about surgery centers pushing no carb as a way to get faster results, but not as a way to finding long term success. As always, everyone is different but this is my humble experience & opinion.

10 minutes ago, MsNee225 said:

F6118C67-025B-4643-9A2E-7D21CDAEFD76.thumb.png.a3486cc90db066c65efb122f0ac130db.pngHas anyone tried these….Egglife Wgf White Wraps. 30 cal, 1carb, 0 sugar, 5g Protein

I tried the “crepini” brand ones that are egg and cauliflower and I didn’t love them. Let me know if those are any good though cause of course I want to like them. I actually posted asking about that brand too cause my Sam’s club started carrying them and some people did have positive things to say about them. I am just waiting for my Sam’s or even better, target to carry the flavored ones because I don’t think I will like the plain and I’d rather not buy them in bulk.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 09/08/2022 at 22:28, MsNee225 said:

F6118C67-025B-4643-9A2E-7D21CDAEFD76.thumb.png.a3486cc90db066c65efb122f0ac130db.pngHas anyone tried these….Egglife Wgf White Wraps. 30 cal, 1carb, 0 sugar, 5g Protein

Spoiler alert, they are pretty bad. To me at least. Very chewy and otherwise bizarre texture. Like rubbery. 🤢

12 minutes ago, redhead_che said:

Spoiler alert, they are pretty bad. To me at least. Very chewy and otherwise bizarre texture. Like rubbery. 🤢

haha I don't prefer them as a "wrap" I agree with the odd rubbery texture. But, I use them in lasagna in place of noodles and you don't notice the texture. Works perfectly!

On 8/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, sprukop0924 said:

Had my final visit with nutritionist yesterday and she confirmed that including healthy carbs is GOOD long term. Still have to focus on Protein first, but the body functions better with some whole grain foods included in your diet.

I would die for a bowl of cheerio's right now... I can't wait to be able to have them.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:06 PM, New_me_2022 said:

Good evening everyone,

It has been three months since my sleeve surgery and things have been going very well. I had a question for everyone in regards to diet: did you ever re-incorporate carbs back into your diet? If so, how long after surgery? If not, what substitutes do you use?

In the past three months I have not had any bread, rice, tortillas, or anything starchy...not even a cracker. And I will say, that is the one food change that makes me feel awkward or like I am missing out on deliciousness.

I made the mistake of having a Breakfast burrito (or 1/3 of one) from WaWa about a two weeks after surgery...bad idea!

That being said, I have reincorporated small amounts of straight up carbs. I have had Mac & cheese, spaghetti, Pasta, etc., but only small servings (like we're talking 1/4 cup or less). So far I haven't really had any problems so far.

I'm 2 months post-op and last night I had my first carb that wasn't a fruit or veggie. I ate ONE forkful of mashed potatoes, they were tasty, but not OH MY GOD I MISSED THESE tasty. We made pot roast in the Crockpot and I went back to focusing on eating small bites of Protein, which was very very yummy protein indeed :) It was also my first BEEF that I'd had since surgery, too.

Coming up on 4 yrs post op and i have learned that carbs are not the devil lol.

Over the past 2 years I have slowly re-incorporated them into my diet to the point that i dont even actively avoid them anymore. I eat all kinds of them to the point of “toleration”…which i guess luckily, isnt very much for me.

And surprise surprise I am maintaining my weight just fine (with the added bonus of not looking so gaunt in my face…but do look less defined in my bod…but i’ve accepted that…small price to pay to enjoy a maki roll once in a while!)

I am having Gastric bypass next couple of months want to find the best non dairy Protein Shakes ready made I can’t drink the powdered ones. I tried fairlife but did not care for it.