Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating carbs (pasta, rice, or bread )

I eat carbs, never had any problem with Pasta, rice, potatoes etc.
That being said I don’t eat any starches generally until dinner time, because it makes me sleepy in the afternoon otherwise. It also helps me limit the amount I eat. I am still maintaining at my goal weight around 18 months later so my strategy is working thus far.

I have yet to try Carbs. I don't have room in my tummy yet. I am not sure if I want to eat them again. I could eat endless amounts of delicious Pasta, rice and noodles and I just don't trust myself to stop before I am full. I am a vegetable lover and so looking forwards to the day when I can eat more than a mini cucumber again

My program is a well balanced diet. No food groups are banned. They only stress to eat your Protein first and make your goals before eating the carbs. They also provide a chart of macro goals for each phase. So, stay within your allowed macros, calories and hit your protein goals and they are happy.

I find that naturally (so far) I barely eat any carbs just because they don't fit yet. I can't eat enough, I hit my protein goals and I am full.

I have had Mr. tortilla (3 carbs) twice with no issues.

With the exception of no added sugar, I try not to exclude foods because I don’t want to feel deprived (which could lead to obsession over something I can’t have, and possibly binging).

I have a small amount of oatmeal each morning, one serving of wheat crackers a few days a week, and misc. carbs if they look appealing. But overall they are not a huge draw.

I eat some carbs. I eat a lot of fruit and some starchy veggies. I also eat a little bit of bread or french fries sometimes. Rice doesn't sit well with me, but sometimes I really want sushi so I'll end up eating some. I often order ramen and just eat the Protein, veggies, and broth. I've never really been a Pasta person. I eat low carb wraps, but when that's not available, I just eat the protein out of the sandwich. I try more to avoid added sugars. I eat around 80-100 g of carbs a day. I'm 7.5 months out.

I’m 11 months PO. Rarely had rice pre-surgery, so don’t eat it. Wasn’t really a Pasta eater, except Mac & cheese. I can have maybe 2-3 tablespoons tops. It sits heavy (plus I always eat my Protein first, so not much room). I have it on occasion. bread - I had Hot Cross Buns at Easter. No issues. I mainly eat around it (like a chicken burger…I’ll eat the protein maybe a bite or two of the bun) I love mission carb balance Street tacos. Perfect size. I do aim to keep my carb count under my protein number.

I have always had some degree of carb in my diet even an egg has a carb lol

I'm 5.5 months post op and still don't have room for carbs once I've had my Protein. I do eat plenty of veggies - e.g. had a one egg omelette for dinner with onion, red pepper, mushroom - and I do have some berries with Breakfast. I eat very little in the way of refined carbs now - the occasional potato chip is about it! I would be happy to eat like this forever. Processed food and refined carbs are what made me obese.

I'm almost 3 months out and I've been eating carbs since my puree phase (had Beans then). I do everything in moderation, eat my Protein first and enjoy carbs on the side. I've lost 42 lbs since my surgery. Carbs aren't the enemy, eating too much is. Of course we have limited room as weight loss surgery peeps so I understand the need for protein first but if your dietician okays it and you can stand it, go for it. I do best with Chickpea Pasta, wild/brown rice and potatoes. You can chew them up really well so they go down easy. I've had the low carb tortillas but they get "stuck" most of the time so I avoid them. Haven't had bread/toast/flour/corn tortillas yet because I was told to wait 6 months for bread products.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, and immediately (as soon as possible, really).
  • I've substituted white bread with Protein pizza mix that I bake into little higher-protein rolls - that's great with cheese
  • I eat rye bread
  • I eat multigrain protein bread
Do note I come from a culture that doesn't add sugar to bread; if I did it might've changed my opinion on bread in general. America has great Keto bread, though. Franz' or whatever that brand is called.
  • Rice sits pretty heavy with me, so I substitute cauliflower rice.
  • I use the impastable Pasta from this site, but I'll eat regular pasta, too, it just fills me up very fast for little protein value
  • I love the mac n' cheese protein dinner from here, too - it's great with cubed ham, a little added cheese
I wish I made this more, but fresh springrolls with the rice paper you dip in Water ... yum, and a nice substitute for heavier tortilla-based wraps.
And fruit. I eat tons of fruit. And popsicles. [emoji4]

In general, I don't believe in anything but a balanced diet that hits my protein goals. I've yet to meet a happy person who's been doing keto for any significant amount of years (the few I have met seem highly disordered eating-affected and do not seem happy. Imagine never having a glass of wine or you'd fall out of ketosis or whatever ... snooze).
I completely agree with you. Carbs are not the enemy learning to be moderation is the key to success.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

On 03/27/2022 at 19:06, New_me_2022 said:

Good evening everyone,

It has been three months since my sleeve surgery and things have been going very well. I had a question for everyone in regards to diet: did you ever re-incorporate carbs back into your diet? If so, how long after surgery? If not, what substitutes do you use?

In the past three months I have not had any bread, rice, tortillas, or anything starchy...not even a cracker. And I will say, that is the one food change that makes me feel awkward or like I am missing out on deliciousness.

I know this post is a few mos old but I wanted to send a reply.
For me, I do not eat breads of any kind, no tortillas, no rice, no Pasta
I do eat tortilla chips when we go out to eat mexican food.
For me letting those back in would be bad. Everyone is diff. I’m strict with that type of stuff and have other areas of weakness that I allow instead. Like I love dark chocolate covered frozen bananas. They have carbs but it’s my treat.
You will have to gauge what are the things you want to eliminate for success and the things you are able to eat in moderation to maintain.
For me things that a lot of people can eat in moderation I wouldn’t be able to. Ex warm rolls w butter that they serve at restaurants. I DO NOT allow myself that at all. Can’t open that door.
There are a lot of low carb bread options that people on this site have found and they like. I don’t do them though.
I do substitute hamburger bun for lettuce and also when I eat tacos I use a lettuce wrap or make it a bowl instead. There are a ton of options and a wealth of info on this site. Good luck to you!! Keep us posted!

That's really good to hear from someone as far out as you Kris :99_muscle: